1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
That sure resembles a good bit of work ..:lol:
you know me im a glutton for punishment :) she came home from her mini vacation in savanna and just shook her head, this the part she hates but she likes it when they are done:) i am still shocked at how solid this boat is and how well built , compared to the wellcraft of the same year ,
granted the wellcraft was only 17 ft this is 21 but the stringers are 100 % encapsulated and nothing was screwed into them from top, they had rubber between them and the top cap. the wood in the transom outside of the outdrive area was wet but not rotting leading me to think maybe it was salt water.
trying to decide if i wanna change tank to a plastic over the aluminum since ethenol dont seem to be going away anytime soon...

chevymaher

Commander
i don't drink or do drugs so idle hands .... lol I'm convinced im a disfunctional irishman and boat redo's are my therapy for not drinking:)
I resemble that remark.
Yea you get bored quick when you stop drinking. I am with you on that boat to.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok so transom is dug out and i decided to do the arjay pourable then skin the inside because i like that idea since its curved. pics incoming any ideas on making the inside wood form not stick to the arjay?
i was thinking of coating the wood with zip floor wax figured that wouldn't let the arjay stick to the wood so i can remove inside form and glass inside in ?

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
i don't drink or do drugs so idle hands .... lol I'm convinced im a disfunctional irishman and boat redo's are my therapy for not drinking:)

An Irishman walked out of a bar..............hey c'mon, it could happen!

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
FWIW, I've often used cling film in the past as a releasing agent when using fibreglass. I'm not sure what you call it over there in the States, but it's that plastic film you wrap foodstuffs in.

Pusher

Lieutenant
FWIW, I've often used cling film in the past as a releasing agent when using fibreglass. I'm not sure what you call it over there in the States, but it's that plastic film you wrap foodstuffs in.

I call it Ceran wrap. The epoxy doesn't dissolve the plastic?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If it's waxed it should work. Soak it up real good. I use turtle wax spray cause of the slow speed I rehab. lol! Has worked fine for me in the past. The ply will make a good form for ya.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
WELL POURED IN 5 GALLLONS .... ABOUT HALF FULLL AND THE THING SAID IT WOULD ONLY TAKE 4 SO ORDERED ANOTHER 5 ITS LOCAL SO SHOULD HAVE MONDAY OR TUESDAY, THEY SAY ITS NOT A PROBLEM TO POUR IN 2 POURS SO UGH LETS HOPE :)
gdng capslock

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I call it Ceran wrap. The epoxy doesn't dissolve the plastic?

I used two layers. The first layer takes the hit from the resin and it stops at that. It's never burned or melted right through on me. It's a cheap and simple way to seal things especially if you buy catering size rolls of film.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
soon :0 anyways i think im like 5 gallons short of the arjay its crazy i exact measured and ordered what it said i would need , when i put my calcs in the seacast site it said id need 10 gallons so sea cast i think is more accurate then the arjay calculator,
now my only fear is having a cold joint in the transom, but i imagine if i hit it with some acetone let it dry and go the second batch it should be ok , thoughts?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Just an FYI- commercial stretch wrap film is a good choice instead of the kitchen stuff. It can be several mils thicker than the grocery store stuff. Great for wrapping quartered deer parts too.......just sayin'!!

Anywho.......I'm here to view your misery Mick.....:peep:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
soon :0 anyways i think im like 5 gallons short of the arjay its crazy i exact measured and ordered what it said i would need , when i put my calcs in the seacast site it said id need 10 gallons so sea cast i think is more accurate then the arjay calculator,
now my only fear is having a cold joint in the transom, but i imagine if i hit it with some acetone let it dry and go the second batch it should be ok , thoughts?

Call the mfg see whats dey say.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Never used the arjay but plenty of Seacast .. No problems with cold joints with that .. I thought I heard somewhere they stopped making arjay .... I guess not ..
Pics !