1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah , its the merc replacement for the one that was old style switch, so no problem there , cables are all adjusted properly and have minimum slack, it could be a binnacle worn out but, sticking with exact factory adjustments it seems to work just like the videos say adjusting it, in the videos they tell you to go wot and wot reverse when checking so I just wondered if this was because being up on dry land with engine off .

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not completely sure what you are describing but I would say they suggest wot and wot reverse just to make sure the cables aren't binding and you are getting full range of motion as well as full throttle before launching. Do you have a one or two handle controller? If a two, it should not allow you to shift at much higher than idle. If a one arm, it should shift once you move it forward before the throttle moves. If it takes wot to shift into gear I would make sure the shift cable is attached to the shifter side and the throttle is attached to the throttle side of the controller. If they are hooked up correctly I would see if there is any other adjustment that can be made to engage the shift sooner. You might have taken the slack out of the wrong side of the cable. Sorry, I'm not sure if that helps but it sounded to me like you were saying it wasn't shifting until wot. If that is the case, I would assume something is wrong. Hopefully someone in the know can chime in and help out. What do I know anyway...I'm sporting an outboard. Lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Yeah on land it seems all the videos show slammin it to max both ways to test although i would think clicking to indent should shift but i dont know if it acts differently in water and running compared to dry land shifting

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok so after locking animals in house and making sure nothing was even remotely close to prop, I fired it up let it idle it was idling fine at 600 :) and shifted went into gear on the indent, then I put in neutral and made sure prop wasn't spinning , then shifted into reverse and it shifted fine, then I realized hmm I never heard motor bog down so checked interrupt switch and it isn't working, now I'm wondering is this interrupt switch even needed? if I am able to shift with out loud noises or grinding ? if so , I have it wired up exactly as was shown here and yet it don't stall motor.

Attachments

• 2012-03-14_132518_est_wiring.jpg
    2012-03-14_132518_est_wiring.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

2boatsinMI

Seaman
Did you try to manually engage the switch to determine whether it's working? The stall when the cable is adjusted properly is so short you may not be able to hear it.

2boatsinMI

Seaman
Also the final adjustment is done in the water as the pressure against the prop changes how it shifts.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah I will investigate further , I am sure it was due to lack of sleep that I prob. hooked it up wrong, I want to try to get it in water in morning so I have been burning the midnight oil , setting goals and hoping to achiever them lol.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I will post pic as well of the layout I had to move it off of engine because new bracket there is really not any way to mount to the old location, so I filled the old holes with epoxy and bolts to make sure I didn't have oil spewing everywhere.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
just some pics of progress, still got long ways to go
20160916_142136.jpg

20160914_192054.jpg

20160914_102816.jpg

20160911_152948.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I need to replace what windows I can with real glass plexi glass scratches way too easily

Pusher

Lieutenant
I agree with Patfromny. That baby looks way better than most originals of a newer age.

The name really looks great on her. Wise choice!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thanks guys I have made so many mistakes with trim, its a lot harder then it looks lol I see all of my mistakes luckily a passing glance doesn't but next boat and this one I will slowly repair and learn from them as she was supposed to be my learning vessel anyways :)
I got most of the cabin done tonite and got the boat cleaned off so I can try it out in the morning , will feel lots better knowing she runs and shifts good on the water :)
this is where I mounted the shift plate and that's my led engine light partially repurposed from a grill light :)
20160916_204356.jpg

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am a finish contractor and painter. I have found that it is always good to have the complete plan beforehand and then just take your time and use whole pieces. I hate seeing scarfs in the middle of a 10 ft wall. Spending a very little bit more and proper planning will make the finishing touches near perfect. It looks great to me but like you said. You know where all the body's are buried. I laugh because we all know where the not so perfect parts of our boats or houses are. And we look at those spots more than anything we did perfectly. Funny stuff. If that is you screwing up and learning...I can't wait to see your work when you are a pro. Great job

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ya my biggest issue is I measure the trim but then I forget the wall has a slight bow so I lose a quarter inch when I get it tight ! that and I'm using cheap wood on this so it splinters and cuts rough even with a hacksaw blade lol
but the amount of knowledge I have regained doing this , I feel secure knowing when I do one out of expensive wood I know where to slow down and really take time and make sure its exact . all in all cant wait to get her on water , dogs had me up at 3am 6am came around I slept till 11 so put it off till tomorrow am and got a trolling motor hooked up in case it breaks down.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
+ 1 on the trolling motor, i always do the same :friendly_wink: good luck out there - she looks great!