1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
Re: 1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

Nice "Green House" Zool!!! Are you planning on Growing Tomatoes????:D

Tomatoes, Schmadoes, I need to grow money trees!!! :D

That design seems stable enough to last out the build, especially if I use xtra purlins and framed, sheathed ends. Gonna put one up next month, after the assessor passes thru, dont want to give her any "ideas" its permanant....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LOL, Doncha just LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE them assessor's. I had a shed built on SKIDS. The assessor came along and tried to "Assess" me till I hooked my Lawn tractor on to it and Pulled it around the yard to PROVE it was a portable shed. He went away SULKING!!!!! Put some fans on both ends and you can make a Paint booth out of it too!!!!!:D

zool

Captain

LOL, Doncha just LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE them assessor's. I had a shed built on SKIDS. The assessor came along and tried to "Assess" me till I hooked my Lawn tractor on to it and Pulled it around the yard to PROVE it was a portable shed. He went away SULKING!!!!! Put some fans on both ends and you can make a Paint booth out of it too!!!!!:D

haha, nice....so i guess i should just build a fortress, and put a cheap set of HF wheels on it for effect :D

And yes, judgeing by the amount of trash that just falls on my fillets, painting it in the open field will be an uphill battle at best.

zool

Captain

Well i got some supplies to get me going again. I went to the West Marine store to get some fillers but all they have is the small containers on the shelf and only one or two.....so i grabbed whatever 406 and 403 they had, and asked the lady at the counter if everyone there restores row boats...she just looked at me lol....so i ordered some big containers online, but at least i can work again.

I tabbed the outer stringers to the cabin bulkhead, aft bulkhead, and hull, its curing now. Hopefully tomorrow i can close up the access holes and fillet the remaining stringers to the hull.

Will post pics tomorrow.

zool

Captain

Update:

Today I finished filleting the inner stringers from the tank area, back to the transom. I also sealed up the access holes in the tank area and worked my way out. I reused the pieces i cut out, just pb'd them back in with backer boards and 8oz eglass strips.

I just wetted some strips and glued/screwed them across the openings

zool

Captain

While the fillets are curing, i mixed up some resin with the off white pigment to use in the coatings of the tank area. It goes on transluscent but brightens things up a bit. I still may or may not go over it with epoxy paint.

And a pic of my helper the past 2 days lol

Shes been a great help!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I suspect there is a lot of "helper" used in each rebuild :D on here

zool

Captain

Update:

Took a break from gluing in the stringer cuz the weather was iffy today...so i started making the firewall bulkhead. Its a little over 9' wide where it meets the deck bottom. I used the transom pattern and the hull bottom contour was right on, just had to adjust the height and width a bit

I traced it out and rough cut the ply..

No "helper" today :D

zool

Captain

I had to use an extension piece like on the transom, but I wil keep this one one sheet wide, with the exception of some scabbing and a few strips on top to accept the deck pieces..

I rough cut the stringer slots

and the water channels

zool

Captain

I used what was left of the old firewall, and traced the access plate and hose route holes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice work Mr Zool. Given the size of this project your attention to detail is very commendable! Any updates on your winter "pole barn" design for covering the boat?

zool

Captain

Thanks for the encouragement Arch,

And yes, I have the shelter all worked out, even scrounged up most of the wood i need from back in the barn....before i can build it tho, i have to finish with the gantry for a while, meaning I need to get the tank back in, the cockpit decking back in, remove the railings, and the windshield (gonna try pulling it in one piece).

Jeez, I hate thinking of all the work I have to do ;)

zool

Captain

Update:

I finished fabricating the firewall, just used a frame brace laminated to both sides, and scabbed over the seam.

I cut out the access holes and fitted the covers.

zool

Captain

Got a coat of epoxy on the knotty side..

now i got a 2 1/4 inch deck seam without the weight of a doubled up bulkhead

also glued the center board down, and some more filleting...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not to shabby for a Joisey Boy!!!!!

zool

Captain

For the center board, i mixed up a thin batch of catsup consistancy resin to bleed under the board to fill any voild left from the pb underneath...the old one had water trapped under it when i removed it....it was just glassed in and not bedded, like all the other wood.

This whole area from the firewall back will have a ton of fairing after its glassed in, to get a molded engine compartment look, with the polyurethane paint to match the concept on the rest of the boat.

I also scored a helper some time this week, (not the bottled kind ;) )....to try to get the railing off...definately a 2 man job.

zool

Captain

Update:

I finally got the railing off.....it was looking too much like a boat anyway

Also ran the string line for the shelter base, as see in the lower right corner...cant wait to be semi indoors

zool

Captain

also got the windshield taken apart and removed

started removing the steering system

and the bench seat