1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following. Love this boat, and you are making quick progress. Where did you go back country skiing? I'm assuming near your home...Colorado?

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Following. Love this boat, and you are making quick progress. Where did you go back country skiing? I'm assuming near your home...Colorado?

Hey Tim! Thanks for following! You dont see many competition ski boats on these forums so I like that mine is a little different.
We went back country skiing near leadville. I've been out there a few times now, great area to get away from Denver which is where I'm living now.

ACon977

Also, busy week and no progress so far. Still dont have power in the garage, but I think I'm gonna run some extension cords from the house and try to get some cutting done tomorrow on the stringers

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Tim! Thanks for following! You dont see many competition ski boats on these forums so I like that mine is a little different.
We went back country skiing near leadville. I've been out there a few times now, great area to get away from Denver which is where I'm living now.

Nice. My company has an office in Denver and I have a friend who lives in Woodland Park. I've skied all over Colorado with him, including some off the beat and path places like Monarch and Wolf Creek. I just got an AT setup and went for my first tour when we were on our ski trip in BC. I live in Alabama, so i have to travel to snow ski...but we have a long lake season.

You can take a look at my Ski Centurion thread (attached.) I inherited the project after the stringers and floor had been completed.

ACon977

Nice. My company has an office in Denver and I have a friend who lives in Woodland Park. I've skied all over Colorado with him, including some off the beat and path places like Monarch and Wolf Creek. I just got an AT setup and went for my first tour when we were on our ski trip in BC. I live in Alabama, so i have to travel to snow ski...but we have a long lake season.

Love getting away from the beaten path, but we also are resort skiers, depends on what you are looking for out of the day. My girlfriend and I picked up AT setups this past year and have done 3 hut trips, berthoud and skinned a few resorts for fun. Always tons to do, cant wait to check out the smaller places like Monarch and Wolf Creek.

Super jealous of the long lake season.. Denver is essentially a desert unless you pay to be on a private lake, but we make due with our public floating course on Sloans.

You can take a look at my Ski Centurion thread (attached.) I inherited the project after the stringers and floor had been completed.

This will be a great reference for where I will be shortly! Thanks for the link! I will definitely subscribe to keep the link handy for reference. Looks like a thorough walkthrough, but all the pictures are gone, sad that that happened last year. Any way you would post them again?

Also how did you do your seats? What kind of foam and vinyl? We are looking to either build or buy, and a lot of the marine foam we found was HELLA expensive. So we may buy the cushions and build the bases.. but I think it would be the most fun to build the whole thing.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you using google chrome? There's an extension that will make all of the Photobucket pictures show back up.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
We pretty much built all of the seat parts ourselves. You'll see that if you gain access to the pictures in my thread. We took every piece of the existing interior apart looking for things that could be used as templates.

We build the seat bases and structures. Then they were coated with epoxy resin, and then either upholstered or wrapped in carpet. yes, the wood structure is heavier than what was in the boat, but it was negligible.

I got 3 estimates for my boat interior and they were widely different:
1. The most expensive was $8,000 for a turn key, drop the boat off, pick it back up kind of deal.
2. Another was $2500 to redo the existing seats + undetermined more for the open bow that I/we had nothing salvageable from.
3. The guy I ended up using works out of his workshop in his back yard. He is a retired furniture maker. He had done boats before. His work is NOT perfect. My boat doesn't have a Viper Customs type of interior. But I paid $1,000 to him for his labor. I probably had $300 in vinyl and $250 in my captains chair. The rest was my own labor (and that of my uncle and cousin.)

I like the way it turned out for the price I paid. And I don't mind my kids crawling all over my $1500 interior all day and eating chips and drinking soft drinks on it, etc. If I had 8 grand in it, that'd be a different story.

Some of my foam was reusable, like the back bench seat base foam. Other foam had to be redone. I didn't have a specific foam expense though. My upholstery guy supplemented what he needed from his personal supply and built that into my cost.

here's where I ordered my seat from. Once I picked out my captains chair, I ordered my vinyl from there too, so it would all match.

ACon977

Thanks Tim for the explanation. Thats super helpful, we are looking at what our options are, we have gotten quotes for custom built seats for like 2,400 but think we can do it for cheaper if we piecemeal it like you did.

I like the idea of building the frames out of wood and sealing them with resin, and then putting a protective layer on. I don't want to do carpet but will probably end up doing a gelcoat or something similar to the entire interior. I definitely want to do a SeaDek type floor. Carpet = mold in my opinion.

But building the bases custom has been my original plan, that way I can build some mounting blocks in my floor without drilling into the actual floor. Now its just down to how we do the cushions, I will take a look at the site you sent as well, maybe Veada will be better than we originally planned.

Regarding the photos....
For some reason the photos just aren't there. Maybe its my work web filter... but who knows, even if I pull it up in IE i still just have blanks. I will try from home and see if thats still the case. This happens on a majority of the posts on this site, only a few have images for me. its a bit frustrating.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 1

ACon977

AAAANNNDDDD Yup, its my work filter. Just pulled it up on my mobile and they displayed just fine. You did an AMAZING job on that rebuild... Im very impressed.

ACon977

What did you do to remove the old decal and clean up the hull? It honestly looks like a 2018 boat. We have some aftermarket Jobe stickers on the side that I would like to replace with Centurion text like yours.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Tim for the explanation. Thats super helpful, we are looking at what our options are, we have gotten quotes for custom built seats for like 2,400 but think we can do it for cheaper if we piecemeal it like you did.

I like the idea of building the frames out of wood and sealing them with resin, and then putting a protective layer on. I don't want to do carpet but will probably end up doing a gelcoat or something similar to the entire interior. I definitely want to do a SeaDek type floor. Carpet = mold in my opinion.

But building the bases custom has been my original plan, that way I can build some mounting blocks in my floor without drilling into the actual floor. Now its just down to how we do the cushions, I will take a look at the site you sent as well, maybe Veada will be better than we originally planned.

Agree...it will be very sharp if you gelcoat the floor, up the sides and the exposed bases of your seat frames. Given our time frame and the fact that the carpet was already purchased that just wasn't an option for me at that time.

For your floor, I would look at Gator Step. I've been talking with them, and Centurion will send permission for them to put the Brand Name and logo on your floor. I'm about to order 4 custom Gator step pieces to go on my outer deck. I'll update my thread to show the process.

Remove all your decals and do a google search for gelcoat restoration. It'll involve wet sanding then polishing, then waxing. You can bring the colors back to near factory perfect.

One recommendation that I would make is to build a base to lift the back seat some to create some more storage. My back seat is comfortable to sit in and it's a relatively dry back seat too, but I should could use some more storage areas.

My cousin and I restored a 1988 Tru Trac II at the same time we did my boat, so I'm very familiar with what you have. At one point we had 3 ski Centurions in his garage. A 1988 Tru Trac II, my 1993 Open bow Falcon, and his 1996 Falcon Sport.

ACon977

Ok, so I ran an extension cord and got both sides of the port stringer cut.. but it's not coming out in the front. The rear, which was what was soft, is separated but the front is still pretty solid... any tips and tricks? How deep should I be cutting? This is about as far as I've been cutting. Making sure to get through the glass.

I was assuming I could just pull the wood free from the glue to the hull...

Attachments

• photo288744.jpg
    photo288744.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
One more thing - the graphics on the side of my boat came factory installed on some later model (I've never been able to chase down which one though.) I got them from Great Lakes Skipper.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you prefer to put it back exactly as it was stock, graphic wise, this place will make you the original Ski Centurion graphics.

ACon977

Hey Tim,

thanks for the info. This boat isn't going to look stuck with a tower and speakers on it lol. I'm looking for something that looks clean and professional.

so glad that you found my thread, I can't say I've ever even seen another tru trac I in real life. But I'm falling in love haha

also will have to check out the gator track.

andddd we have the first stringer out. I just went all the way around the outside of it again and then hit it with a sledge for 8 min (I'm videoing the process)... even with 3/4 of it rotten it was still a bugger.

1524187738484695019244763389049.jpg

Onto the other side now. I feel bad saying "I hope it's more rotted than the other one...."

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the font that ski centurion used when your 1987 model came from the factory.

Attachments

• photo288778.jpg
    photo288778.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

ACon977

I see, that does give it a nice classic look, but I think the foam filled letters on yours look very very sharp, I feel like I will go wtih something more on that route.

My boat has the extra hull expansion on it, which really made for a tricky cradle profile, I hope it won't affect the lettering though. I may be forced to go with a standard print instead... but this is al discussion for later. Probably shouldn't be drooling over graphics while I'm still cutting the stringers apart haha

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see, that does give it a nice classic look, but I think the foam filled letters on yours look very very sharp, I feel like I will go wtih something more on that route.

My boat has the extra hull expansion on it, which really made for a tricky cradle profile, I hope it won't affect the lettering though. I may be forced to go with a standard print instead... but this is al discussion for later. Probably shouldn't be drooling over graphics while I'm still cutting the stringers apart haha

True! Get those stringers and floor done.

ACon977

Well everyone... I officially have a shell! No more stringers! Which means its onto the grinding... not excited, but I am pumped to get one step closer to actually putting stuff into the boat, rather than taking it out.

Attachments

• photo288806.jpg
    photo288806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.