1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Rear Seat Boxes

Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Rear Seat Boxes

I just finished installing the two rear seat boxes. I used PL Adhesive to glue them down. I will then clean up the glue edges and make my fillets out of thickened resin and then apply two layers of tabbing. I will also need to add two-part foam to each side.

IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0557.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project

Make sure to wash the PL down with Acetone prior to making your fillets. The PB does not like to Adhere to the PL. Outgassing of the PL continues for quite some time and can cause the PB and subsequent glass tabbing to delaminate. How long do you plan to let the PL cure before you start to fillet and tab? Hopefully a minimum of 72 hours!;)

Lukie46

Seaman

The PL will cure for almost two weeks (vacation) before I clean it up. I like to clean the PL to the point at which it is flush with the wood before I apply the PB. I did this for my two front seat boxes and it seemed to have worked out well. I guess only time will tell.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That ^^^ is a real good idea. If you clean the PL off the wood using a razor knife to cut it back flush then I agree that your chances of getting the PB and glass to bond are greatly increased. A lot of people, I fear, don't take this extra step, when using PL.:rolleyes:

rickryder

Commander

Since your mailbox was full.... ;)
Hey Tom,

Just got to this.... I have been working out of town most of the year so I don't get on the computer much..... tools I bought were an engine alignment bar and bellows spreader tool... I borrowed the bearing puller from my local auto parts store.....most have a loan a tool program.... that's about it... all the rest of the tools are standard automotive stuff...

Here is a good link also http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...outdrives/home-made-special-tools-470339.html

Last edited:

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Question

Guys, I decided to purchase a transom rebuild/seal kit. I did not notice any problems before my restore project, however, the bellows, gimbal bearing, etc., are over 25 years old, and since I have it all apart now, it seems like a smart thing to do. My question is in regards to OEM versus aftermarket (Sierra). My gut feeling is, stay with the OEM and pay the extra money, but I would like get other opinions on OEM parts versus aftermarket. Thank you.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Guys, I decided to purchase a transom rebuild/seal kit. I did not notice any problems before my restore project, however, the bellows, gimbal bearing, etc., are over 25 years old, and since I have it all apart now, it seems like a smart thing to do. My question is in regards to OEM versus aftermarket (Sierra). My gut feeling is, stay with the OEM and pay the extra money, but I would like get other opinions on OEM parts versus aftermarket. Thank you.

Good idea doing it now! I used the Sierra stuff when I did mine because money was real tight. It's been 2 years and all is well. However, I will go with OEM next time since it is supposed to last longer (lasted 26 years in my boat).

Lukie46

Seaman

Guys, I just wanted to give an update on my restore project. I finished installing all of the fiberglass, sanded, and started applying my first layer of gel coat. I still have to coat the front of the boat and the ski locker. I plan on adding another coat in a few days. I could have done a better job on sanding, but most of the boat is going to be covered in carpet (which I already bought). I bought a gallon of gel coat so I figured I might as well use it all up and help protect the interior of the boat a bit more.

IMG_2647.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks GREAT!!!! You're gettin' Close!!!

tpenfield

Staff member

:thumb:

Looking forward to the engine installation.

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project Gimbal Bearing Removal/Install

Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project Gimbal Bearing Removal/Install

Guys, I am purchasing a hinge pin removal tool and an engine alignment tool. I am replacing the transom seals and gimbal bearing. Do I need any more special tools? I am more concerned with the installation of the gimbal bearing versus the removal. Thank you.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

A 1/2 inch allen wrench works instead of the hinge pin removal tool.

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Engine Alignment

Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Engine Alignment

Guys, I am getting close to installing my engine, but before I do that, I have a question in regards to the inner transom plate installation. The gimbal housing fits nice and snug in the mounting holes. The inner transom plate has oversized holes which allows for some adjustments. How do I determine the correct postion of that plate?

Also, I have read different articles and have seen videos on using the alignment tool. Is there a manual that covers the alignment procedure? I am using the Mercruiser Service Manual #6 and I have not seen anything about the alignment procedure, so I am assuming it must be covered in another manual.

Thank you for your help.

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Gelcoat Question

Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Gelcoat Question

Guys, I am starting back up on my restore project and have some questions on gelcoat. I guess my first question is "Is gelcoat...gelcoat?" The reason I am asking this question is I have used acetone to clean my poly-resin handprints from the exterior gel coat surface of my boat. The acetone removed the poly-resin, but did not appear to damage the gel coat. When I have done the same thing to the gelcoat that I applied to the interior of my boat, the gel coat color appears on my rag. Why would this happen? I followed the gel coat instructions to the letter and it is hard. My concern is that the engine compartment is gel coated and I am worried that the gel coat will get damaged easily. As always, thank you for your help.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you apply waxed gelcoat, use PVA after you applied the gelcoat, or add duratech (sp?) to the gelcoat you applied?

All of those (& other methods) ^^^ 'cover' the gelcoat to inhibit air contact so that it cures.

Have you sanded out the gelcoat yet? Often gelcoat is applied thicker then necessary, so that it can be cut & buffed to remove orange peel/etc and be super smooth & glossy.

Details about the gelcoat & how you applied it would help. What color gelcoat?

If anything I'd have expected old gelcoat @the hull to be somewhat chalky and much more likely to 'rub' off w/ acetone.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, we need some details! How much catalyst did you use in the Gelcoat for the Engine Compartment? What Brand of Gelcoat did you use?

Lukie46

Seaman

I applied three coats in this area. The very last coat contained wax, which I purchased from US Composites. I purchased the neutral colored gelcoat from a local supplier. I also purchased the grey pigment from US Composites. To answer your other question, no I did not sand the gel coat. I applied the gelcoat using a foam roller. Take a look at #88 on my thread. I added more gelcoat then necessary. My boat is pretty much all carpet. I added the extra gelcoat for added protection and to simply use it all up. My boat has always been stored in my garage when not in use, so the exterior gelcoat is still in good condition.

Lukie46

Seaman

Woodonglass, I want to say that I was at 2% on the catalyst and I purchased the gelcoat from a local supplier in Michigan. The company is called Michigan Fiberglass Sales. The gel coat feels solid, but appears to dissolve much easier then the gel coat on the outer surface of my boat. I did apply three coats, with the last one containing surfacing wax. Since this area is under the engine and enclosed, I did not sand it. Is it possible that what I am seeing on the rag is the surface wax coming off? I wasn't sure if I used the incorrect type of gel coat or if the exterior gel coat on my boat contained some type of additive to make it more resistant to solvents, or I just didn't do something right. This was my first time using gel coat.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you apply fresh gelcoat to the exterior as well, or just interior? If the gelcoat on the exterior is original, most likely it has been polished and/or waxed. If that is the case, wiping the exterior with acetone would be removing fingerprints from the wax and not the gel.

Now, if you did apply gel to both the exterior and interior and got different results, there could be a few things at play here, such as catalyst percentage, ambient outdoor temperature, sunlight, etc.

I notice you are in Michigan; what has the outside temperature been on average? Gel likes to cure in that 60-80 degree range; below 60 for extended periods of time can have a huge impact on how fast (or slow) it will cure.

Are you working on the boat outside? Direct sunlight on the exterior, but not the interior, could explain for the different results.

Like jbcurt00 and Woodonglass mentioned, color, brand, and type of gel (waxed, un-waxed) can make a huge difference. If you used an unwaxed gel, did you add styrene wax, PVA or Duratec? Do the instructions call for adding a thinnner? If so, acetone, styrene, and MEK can affect the gelcoat in different ways.

Definitely the more details you can provide the better, hah. Glad you are finally back on the restore, I look forward to following your progress again.