1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project

These are pictures of my gas tank compartment.IMG_2455.JPGIMG_2460.JPG

Lukie46

Seaman

Pictures of my deck. I am currently working on the ski locker area.
IMG_2459.JPG

Lukie46

Seaman

Picture of my engine mount. I still need to glass it.
IMG_2453.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member

Looking good. . . :thumb:

Just looking at the fuel bay . . . is there a limber hole somewhere to allow water/moisture to escape the fuel bay? I see the channel underneath the fuel bay, but not sure if you have any drainage from the fuel bay.

Lukie46

Seaman

Yes, there is a 1/2" hole in the fuel bay to allow water to escape. It is hard to see in the picture.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pictures of my deck. I am currently working on the ski locker area.
View attachment 195121

Very nice work. This is exactly how I am planning on cutting out my deck as well; I was concerned with covering over the gas tank area since it is an old boat. Did you end up using one or two sheets of ply for those side pieces?

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project - Deck Installation

Guys, I am getting very close to installing my deck. I will do my best to expalin the construction of my deck. It is basically in three sections. A left and right section that goes from the edge of the stringer to the bottom curved section of my hull. The deck does not go all the way to the side of the hull and then I have a middle section which is basically the top of the gas tank and ski locker. I did not have to remove the deck and seats from the bow the wood was solid, so my restore is from the back of the boat to the beginning of the bow section.

My question is, how many layers and what type of fiberglass should to I put down on the deck? (I plan on covering my deck with carpet). I was thinking of one layer of CSM and one layer of 1708, but I am not sure. As always, thank you for your help.

For my deck, I will be coating/sealing the edges with resin and slapping on some 3/4oz CSM for the undersides. For the topside, I plan to tab in with 6" 1708, 2 layers of 1.5oz CSM, and a finishing layer of 6oz cloth.

Have you considered using something other than carpet? I used carpet last restore and it probably took a good 5 years off the life of the deck.

Keep up the excellent work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tab the deck to the sides of the hull with 8" strips of 1708. Then lay 2 layers of 1.5 oz CSM over the entire deck and up the sides overlapping the 1708 by 2-3" each time. the bottom of the deck should also have a layer of 1.5 oz CSM. The first link in my signature below has drawings and info on how to do your deck

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice work. This is exactly how I am planning on cutting out my deck as well; I was concerned with covering over the gas tank area since it is an old boat. Did you end up using one or two sheets of ply for those side pieces?

I completed my full refurb of my 1989 SR 180BR through last year. It was ground rebuild - all new wood. My layout is pretty much identical and with the fuel tank area, I installed wood fillets round the inside and then screwed the ply deck cover to them which makes for a secure deck over the tank, but one which I can remove by simply unscrewing. Completely sealing in the gas tank IMHO is not a good idea. Like most SR's of that ere, the inside was covered in carpet. I kept all the old carpet and do intend to recover with new. Meantime I painted the interior with a couple of coats of Rustoleum to make it look 'pretty' for the time being. I tried using gelcoat, but the damn stuff went off too fast, never dried sooth and basically was a PITA. The Rustoleum is like most paints, foes on sooth, takes a little while to dry, but finishes out sooth. After 1 week it was well and truly dry and hard.
The boat is coming along really well and quickly. You must be really proud of yourself. Good luck.

Lukie46

Seaman

Quick question. I need to tab the deck to the hull. How many layers of tabbing should I use? What should I use on top of the deck? I was going to use one layer of CSM and one layer of 1708. Is that enough?

Lukie46

Seaman

Well, this weekend I attached the deck. I used both PL adhesive and stainless steel screws. I left an approximate 1/8" gap around the outer edges to keep the deck off of the hull. I then applied a generous amount of thickened resin around the edges and blended it into the hull. My next step will be tabbing, then foaming, and finally glassing.
IMG_2464.JPGIMG_2465.JPGIMG_2466.JPG

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore Project Seat Boxes

Guys, I have completed my deck and am preparing to install my seat boxes. I have lounge seats for both the driver and passenger side. My question is, what is the best method for bonding the seat boxes to the deck? I am assuming my options are PL adhesive or thickened poly resin. Also, how many layers of tabbing should I use? I have included a picture of the original driver side box.
Driver Seat Box.jpg
I have the same questions in regards to the driver and passenger rear seat boxes. The big difference here is that the seat box also attaches to the side of the hull. Is the side of the hull treated just like the bottom in regards to "hard spots"? Should I stay off the side of the hull?

There was also a material that was between the seat box and the hull. I am not sure what it was. I did some research and it looks like it is called Coremat. What is the purpose of this material? Was it designed to keep the seat box from touching the hull? Any ideas? I have included a picture of what it looked like. I hope that I can substitute this material with something else because I don't have any of this material.
Coremat Material.jpg

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Not sure if this is the best way, but I used PL to glue in place. Once the PL dried I tabbed 2 layers to deck and hull.

Lukie46

Seaman

Do you recall the size of your tabbing? I am curious on how you applied your tabbing on the inboard side next to the gas tank compartment. I think that I installed the seat box closer to the edge of the deck then what was originally installed. Thank you for your help.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Yeah, I only had about an inch by the gas tank compartment. I did several inches everywhere else. They are very solid.

Don't worry too much about it. Many of these seat bases are just bolted or screwed down. This will be stronger.

Lukie46

Seaman
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville Bow Rider Restore - Engine Questions

Guys, What did you replace on your engine and outdrive as part of your rebuild? I am not sure what I should replace. I had no issues with the engine or outdrive before taking everything apart, but being that the boat is 26 years old, I have to amagine that I should be replacing bearings, gaskets, etc. The engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L (130 hp) Alpha I. Are there recommended maintenance packages available?

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just caught up with the recent posts on this thread. The boat is coming on great. On the seat bases, my 89 SR180 had twin pedestal seats for driver/passenger. The seat bases that attached to the deck were the same shape and extended up to to hull side and were about 2" from the gas tank space. When I was deconstructing the boat, I kept hold of pieces such as the seat bases and it was an enormous help when it came time to size the new ones and recreate them accurately. Before you start cutting up expensive plywood, I would suggest you purchase a sheet or 2 of polystyrene foam from HD or Lowes and use them as the templates. They are easy to trim using a sharp knife and then trasfer the end shape to the plywood. The 2 bases on mine differ as the drivers side has the gas rubber hoses running from the gas tank space and up into the side of the hull. I re-used the corrugated plastic pipe that protects them. The passenger base is solid all round. One thing you may not realise unless you took note of them bases when you removed them is that they are double bottomed. That is underneath the base top is a second layer of plywood to handle the weight of the seats and something for the lag screws to bite into. To construct the bases, I used PL glue for the seams, SS screws countersunk, then 1708 tabs on the edges and CSM all over. To secure each base to the deck, I used PL again, then 1708 tabbing, then csm for good measure. The fill in any gaps and to curve joints, I used a Peanut Butter mix. Both seat bases were drilled out and foamed, just the way they were on the original construction, (only better). The rear seat bases are basically boxes made of ply for the sides with wood fillets for the inner frame, all resin sealed, then tabbed, then CSM with PB to curve out edges and joints. I would still like to re-carpet (kept the old carpets to use as templates), but for the time being have simply painted the deck area with Rustoleum Enamel from Lowe's. It has a nice shine, is holding up well and is easier to lay down than gelcoat, which I found to be a PITA.
On my engine /outdrive, sadly we found the engine was shot, so I sourced a newer 4.3 (1996) which had been thoroughly overhauled and runs smooth with perfect compression. My boat guy installed it and checked out the manifolds which he said were in good condition. I bought new manifold bellows, new flapper valves. I also cleaned up and repainted the Y pipe too. My boat guy dismantled the gimble unit for me and I cleaned it, repainted it and bought new parts, including bellows, bearing kit, cable, etc, which he put on. The gimble is pretty much rebuilt. The sterndrive is an AlphaOne. All I did was clean it and repaint it. My boat guy then checked it out mechanically and serviced it for me, including new impeller, etc. So far she has run fine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Guys, What did you replace on your engine and outdrive as part of your rebuild? I am not sure what I should replace. I had no issues with the engine or outdrive before taking everything apart, but being that the boat is 26 years old, I have to amagine that I should be replacing bearings, gaskets, etc. The engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L (130 hp) Alpha I. Are there recommended maintenance packages available?

I'm not an I/O guy but I did some research and came up with this...
General Outdrive Maintenance : MerCstuff.Com