1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

RenkenII

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
53
Need some help.

Just purchsed this boat and it has been out of the water for a number of years. First - how do I identify the engine - all the stickers and such are no longer visable. Second - it has no spark - gets fuel - obviously wont run. Third - no altenator? How does this work? Being new to a boat, any information would be greatly appreciated.
 

nola mike

Admiral
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
6,086
Re: 1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

count spark plugs. take pictures and post (outdrive as well). if it's a 4 cylinder with no alternator, it's a closed cooling 470 engine (welcome to the club).

EDIT: Meant to include this link as well for troubleshooting your ignition:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335407
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: 1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

First, you need to tell us what size engine, 4, 6 or 8 cyl engine. A few pictures of the engine and drive couldn't hurt.
 

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Joined
Oct 19, 2003
Messages
5,627
Re: 1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

if it's a 4 cylinder with no alternator, it's a closed cooling 470 engine (welcome to the club).

And if you are a member of that club, be sure to have some thick skin. Not a lot of lovers of the 470 here. ;)
 

RenkenII

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
53
Re: 1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

Thanks for the help so far. I'll get some pics up soon, but for now, here is what I do know:
Four Cylinder
Closed Cooling - (has the coolant tank on the opposite side as the distributor)
No Altenator
Alpha 1 Outdrive (which the Power Trim is stuck with the outdrive high - getting oil as I think its just low - pump does run)
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: 1987 Renken 1750 LTD Mercruiser

Thanks for the help so far. I'll get some pics up soon, but for now, here is what I do know:
Four Cylinder
Closed Cooling - (has the coolant tank on the opposite side as the distributor)
No Altenator
Alpha 1 Outdrive (which the Power Trim is stuck with the outdrive high - getting oil as I think its just low - pump does run)

Ayuh,... Lucky you,... It's a 470...
 
Top