1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

todhunter

Canoeist
Fired the engine today for the first time since putting the boat back together (over a year). I did not have the drive installed, so no cooling water, but I only ran it for about 15 seconds. Good oil pressure, but it doesn't want to idle unless the throttle is cracked, and the starter isn't hitting each time I turn the key, so a few small bugs to work out, but I would call today a success.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Never run without cooling water. You burn up the rubber bits in the exhaust

Exhaust with cooling water is about 220 degrees. Exhaust without cooling water is about 1000 degrees

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I was able to run mine without the drive by connecting a garden hose to the hose that would normally be fed by the impeller in the drive. Turned in on low and it worked well.

todhunter

Canoeist
Hey @todhunter , if you splash in the next week, we can nominate you for the SOTY
I gave it an honest look last night and I just don't think I'll be ready by 12/1. I'm going to try to splash 12/5 if the weather behaves and I can get the last few things done needed before putting it in the water for the first time. There will still be work to do after splashing before it's "done"....but is it ever really "done"?

todhunter

Canoeist
The paint was all scratched up on the windshield frames, so I'm sanding and repainting. Hoping to reinstall the windshield next week sometime.
20211116_071930[1].png

todhunter

Canoeist
Well, it was either bad prep or bad paint because it was still wet in spots after 10 hours. I'm going to blame the paint. So I stripped the paint off. Now I'm curious how it will look with a raw aluminum frame on the boat, so I'm going to strip all the frames and set it on there to see. I don't think I'm going to like it, but who knows?
20211117_072520[1].png

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well, it was either bad prep or bad paint because it was still wet in spots after 10 hours. I'm going to blame the paint. So I stripped the paint off. Now I'm curious how it will look with a raw aluminum frame on the boat, so I'm going to strip all the frames and set it on there to see. I don't think I'm going to like it, but who knows?

View attachment 352805
Did you etch it?

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Mine has bare aluminum. Doesn't cause me any problems, and no concerns about scratching it. I get glare off the dash, though. Bare aluminum can help define the windshield an make it part of the overall shape of the boat.
However, black frames tend to disappear when you look out through them. There is a black joiner strip on each side of mine where the curved corner meets the front flat. You can see it in my sig pic, but you really have to look.
Stare at the example I posted here and you can see what might impede the view of the water ahead. Anything above the trees doesn't matter.
I realize you don't have a walk-thru windshield, so ignore that part. Just trying to give you a visual to help you decide.

Attachments

• 20211017_143431.jpg
    20211017_143431.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

todhunter

Canoeist
Did you etch it?
Nope, but I didn't take it down to bare metal originally either...just scuffed up the paint that was already there, so I don't think lack of etch would cause the paint to not cure...maybe not adhere, but it should have still cured.

todhunter

Canoeist
Mine has bare aluminum. Doesn't cause me any problems, and no concerns about scratching it. I get glare off the dash, though. Bare aluminum can help define the windshield an make it part of the overall shape of the boat.
However, black frames tend to disappear when you look out through them. There is a black joiner strip on each side of mine where the curved corner meets the front flat. You can see it in my sig pic, but you really have to look.
Stare at the example I posted here and you can see what might impede the view of the water ahead. Anything above the trees doesn't matter.
I realize you don't have a walk-thru windshield, so ignore that part. Just trying to give you a visual to help you decide.
Thanks for sharing. I honestly think I'm going to paint it still, but we'll see once I get the other frames stripped!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mine were originally anodized aluminum. all I did was scuff, chemical etch, etching primer, epoxy primer, and then snow-white top coat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
mine were originally anodized aluminum. all I did was scuff, chemical etch, etching primer, epoxy primer, and then snow-white top coat.
Being NOT the paint guy but around awhile, Scott summed it up very well. I wouldn't have had the exact info whereas I have not done that process yet but intend to.
Nice progress as usual. Don't rush it your fine and on a great schedule.

todhunter

Canoeist
Got lots of things done today including installing the windshield. I'm still not happy with how the paint came out, but I'm going to deal with it for a season. I'm thinking I'll remove the windshield next winter, pull the glass, and have the frames powder coated.

Some of the small things I got done today: mounted GPS receiver for speedometer, replaced spark plugs, installed cup holders, installed lower shift cable, greased u-joints, filled drive with oil, installed bilge pump hose, installed rub rail, and installed swim platform brackets.

Still left to do before splashing: repair the gouge on the keel, install drive & prop, adjust shift cables, install trim rams / fill & bleed trim system, install swim platforms, and do a shakedown on muffs. Hoping we can get all that done Fri/Sat, then go to the river on Sunday. Still lots to do after splashing, too.

20211124_133406.png

20211124_133350.png

20211124_131946.png

20211124_163530.png