1986 Galaxy Admiral restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpenfield

Staff member
It would be best to post some pictures of what you are looking at so the folks here have a better visual on which to base their responses. Without a few pictures it is hard to say.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You might want to keep all the questions about the boat in one thread too, otherwise it's almost impossible to follow what's going on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you already grind and prep the interior, or is this still the beginning? normally if your rehabing a hull with new stringers, etc. you spend hours upon hours grinding away old tabbing and glass layers to get to good glass. (details covered in the stickies at top of forum)

As Ted indicated, we need pictures.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm Yeah, you SHOULD keep all your posts concerning your boat restoration in ONE thread. This will soon get to be VERY CONFUSING!!!!:eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The foam topic, the deck coating topic and booger topic have been merged with the original thread. I think everything was put together, but if any posts were missed, that's life.

Hudson - Please post all your resto questions in this thread. You may not think they are related but the foam, coating and boogers are all part of your resto project and are intertwined, as noted by several members.

Of course if you have questions about the motor or trailer, etc, start topics in the appropriate sections. But for actual project questions about restoration of the boat itself, keep them in this thread so you can get the best possible advice form our helpful members.

Thanks.

Ok, so i have taken the motor out, ripped 99% of the decking out, most of the foam, removed trim pump and gas tank, and am now starting to take off all of the detailing (wood trimming, vinyl padding, random hinges and screw). After everything is removed i will de-skin and take out the transom and stingers.

So before removing the stringers, what should i do about the "bubble" of fiberglass? It is really a hard raised spot of fiberglass near the bottom.

Its near the bottom right of the pic.

Next, I found out how to remove the reservoir on the trim pump (the hard way). What should the insides look like? The outside is a little corroded but looks decent.

Should have taken a picture of the inside, but totally forgot, next time though.

This is what i have done so far and what the motor looks like in the boat.

A motor question. Can i get a replacement upper exhaust? When i took the motor out and removed the upper exhaust bellows the opening was super rusted and flaking off.

That's it for now but plan on working on it more tomorrow so any and all answers to my question or suggestions i will take into consideration. Thanks again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
"So before removing the stringers, what should i do about the "bubble" of fiberglass? It is really a hard raised spot of fiberglass near the bottom."

They can get pretty sloppy when building hulls, so it could be just a lump of solid glass, or a bubble. Grind it down and see.

OK, so going with the grinding, how far should I go with the grinding? How will I know when to stop? Until I reach pink smooth fiberglass or just to rough/smooth up the top layer?

A general question:
Where do you guys get your replacement parts for the water pump, gimbal, gaskets, and motor parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.