1986 Galaxy Admiral restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Most important is preparation. The substrate to be coated needs to be thoroughly sanded with a min 60 grit paper. Some even require an epoxy primer. The spray on liner material comes in many different types Rino and lineX are Hot applications that are a sort of hard cellular almost a foam if you will. I believe they are tintable in any color of your choosing. Next there are 2 part urethane systems like speed liner and raptor liner. these are "cold" applications. These are also tintable but the end product is thinner in mil thickness than the hot applications but still pretty durable. These are also tintable. Then there is the single stage products like herculiner or the aerosol applied stuff that you get at the local box-mart or auto parts store. I do not believe these are tintable. Like most everything else in life top quality oats are going to cost ya...after they been through the horse they are considerably less expensive.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Bed liner is a paint... generally a self etching / self priming heavy duty paint... but its paint.

Fail to clean and prep the surface before painting and you can expect peeling with any paint.

With good prep, truck bed liner is good stuff, providing protection to the surface its applied to and a slip resistant surface.

I decided to paint my entire trailer with the stuff from spray cans. Definitely better for stepping on the trailer frame in wet shoes and climbing into the boat. Mainly painted for appearance due to faded paint.

You have essentially 3 options for using truck bed liner.

1) Pro sprayed. This is going to be a heavy application and should last many years.
Some pros do better prep than others...

2) Rattle can. Works and results in a cheaper, lighter application that is fine for lighter duty use. (generally gets applied to get color coverage and then people call it good... but 2 coats is better)

3) Bulk can(s) and a roller. Its cheapest per oz of the paint. Tends to cost more per sq-ft than rattle can because you apply it thicker. A lot of work... Still tends to be a lighter application than the professional spraying.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Bed liner is a paint... generally a self etching / self priming heavy duty paint... but its paint.

Fail to clean and prep the surface before painting and you can expect peeling with any paint.

With good prep, truck bed liner is good stuff, providing protection to the surface its applied to and a slip resistant surface.

I decided to paint my entire trailer with the stuff from spray cans. Definitely better for stepping on the trailer frame in wet shoes and climbing into the boat. Mainly painted for appearance due to faded paint.

You have essentially 3 options for using truck bed liner.

1) Pro sprayed. This is going to be a heavy application and should last many years.
Some pros do better prep than others...

2) Rattle can. Works and results in a cheaper, lighter application that is fine for lighter duty use. (generally gets applied to get color coverage and then people call it good... but 2 coats is better)

3) Bulk can(s) and a roller. Its cheapest per oz of the paint. Tends to cost more per sq-ft than rattle can because you apply it thicker. A lot of work... Still tends to be a lighter application than the professional spraying.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hudsonvalley_boater, not sure how much you looked in to the bed liner issue, I have and even had some samples send to the house. However, unless you love black, it is going to cost you a lot of money. Black is their cheapest color and while a lot of them advertise other colors, once you select anything but black the price goes up dramatically. For example, I was wanting to do my rod boxes and storage areas in a light gray. And seems everyone of them offers a light gray as well. But the price for the gray was more then double the black color. So just saying that colors are available but certainly not cheap.

Oh, I finally went with liquid pigment color and polyester reson for those areas. Cheap and easy. JMHO!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hudsonvalley_boater, not sure how much you looked in to the bed liner issue, I have and even had some samples send to the house. However, unless you love black, it is going to cost you a lot of money. Black is their cheapest color and while a lot of them advertise other colors, once you select anything but black the price goes up dramatically. For example, I was wanting to do my rod boxes and storage areas in a light gray. And seems everyone of them offers a light gray as well. But the price for the gray was more then double the black color. So just saying that colors are available but certainly not cheap.

Oh, I finally went with liquid pigment color and polyester reson for those areas. Cheap and easy. JMHO!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You could use something like Tuff Coat. Here's a show that describes the Tuff Coat, you can skip to 6:30 in the video to get to where they apply it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You could use something like Tuff Coat. Here's a show that describes the Tuff Coat, you can skip to 6:30 in the video to get to where they apply it.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Durabak comes in many colors , and is used in mariane often. I used it.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Durabak comes in many colors , and is used in mariane often. I used it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bed liner is a paint... generally a self etching / self priming heavy duty paint... but .

Professional spray on bedliner is a 2-part cross-linked urethane rubber, not paint. Similar to the urethane rubber used in skateboard wheels

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bed liner is a paint... generally a self etching / self priming heavy duty paint... but .

Professional spray on bedliner is a 2-part cross-linked urethane rubber, not paint. Similar to the urethane rubber used in skateboard wheels

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The rattle can stuff is glorified paint, it has nothing in common with the far more expensive two part products.

As for going with gel coat or something softer, this depends on how you use the boat and where you live. I use gel coat, it makes for a lower cost long lasting surface that can be fine tuned for the desired amount of grip, or slip. But I don't fish in bare feet, so it works well.

If you fish where it tends to be warmer, the softer two part products work well, and if there are going to be any bikinis on the boat they definatly prefer the softer products.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The rattle can stuff is glorified paint, it has nothing in common with the far more expensive two part products.

As for going with gel coat or something softer, this depends on how you use the boat and where you live. I use gel coat, it makes for a lower cost long lasting surface that can be fine tuned for the desired amount of grip, or slip. But I don't fish in bare feet, so it works well.

If you fish where it tends to be warmer, the softer two part products work well, and if there are going to be any bikinis on the boat they definatly prefer the softer products.

ondarvr thanks for the advice!! I will definitely keep that in mind! LOL I live up north in New York and am going to use it for fishing and maybe a little swimming. I will 98% be having shoes on so what do you say then? I was thinking a textured covering for ample grip.

sprintst

Commander
I used Durabak . It went down on an epoxied and glassed deck and is on there for the duration. It is tough to clean though as it needs to be scrubbed to be kept clean. Kiwigrip as something that I was going to try at the time as well.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I used Durabak, too, but I have not been impressed with how it has worn. In several spots it has worn through. It's also really hard to keep clean. I regret using it.

harleyman1975

Ensign
You can get enough raptor liner to do the job plus a pint of white paint to tint it with and a cheap shutz gun for under $200 this will be a gallon sprayable...4-5 coats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There is also This alternate decking choice...
3393.jpg

I really like this stuff. Easy to keep clean. Easy "Cut to Fit" $200 bucks will cover most 18' boat decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.