1985 mercruiser 3.0 starter

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
Went to go fishing yesterday turned the blower on waited about 5 minutes, turned the key and click. Checked batteries they are good, tried again click.
Grabbed something heavy smacked starter a couple times, started to roll over then click again. felt the starter and it hot. So I'm in the market for a ne starter. Anyone have a part number. The starter has 2 bolts from the bottom that go into the block and one off the back of the housing through a bracket then into the block.

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Starter with straight across bolt pattern is 8M0090697

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would replace the old direct drive starter with a PMGR myself

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
check out ARCO's on line catalog, I have used both their starters and alternators.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would replace the old direct drive starter with a PMGR myself
I’ll second this. After slinging WAY too many direct drive Delco’s on cars, and doing it once on my 2.5, the PMGR on my 4.3 was a JOY by comparison. Stronger, lighter and smaller… all good things

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
I looked up a PMGR starter it doesn't look anything like the one I have.
looks like the solenoid is attached to the starter. does this mean if I use this one I would have to rewire it

alldodge

Staff member
I looked up a PMGR starter it doesn't look anything like the one I have.
looks like the solenoid is attached to the starter. does this mean if I use this one I would have to rewire it
Going to need a serial number of your motor because you should have a solenoid attached

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
Going to need a serial number of your motor because you should have a solenoid attached
I'm sorry I thought I put it in the original post. 4920382

yes I'm wrong it does have a solenoid on it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The older you get the nicer it is to have a PMGR starter! Like 8 lbs vs about 20 lbs.
VERY IMPORTANT
Make sure to use the correct length starter bolts, if you use ones that are slightly too long they will bottom out before they clamp down the starter and can break off in the block due to the starter shifting under torque…

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll second this. After slinging WAY too many direct drive Delco’s on cars, and doing it once on my 2.5, the PMGR on my 4.3 was a JOY by comparison. Stronger, lighter and smaller… all good things
What would the part number be for the PMGR starter.

matt167

Rear Admiral
If you have an electric motor shop, they can most likely rebuild it. Parts are available if you are familiar. I haven’t rebuilt a starter in a decade, but it’s not terrible.. the starter is a sealed Version ( ignition protected) of an off the shelf starter for an old SBC or whatever.