1984 starcraft islander

airshot

Rear Admiral
It kinda looked like my old steel tank, if it is steel....do not put it back in....steel tanks in boats are not a good idea.

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess you can test with a magnet for steel vs aluminum. Definitely pressure test low, doesn't take much. I'm guessing you can find a diy procedure somewhere.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
'better' is completely relative imo. Form fit function price etc all play into that. No steel otherwise what works for you is 'better'

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner? Theres like this scum in some areas under where the foam was. Wire wheel removes it but it's slow.

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd still recommend a solvent like acetone or xylene. You will only be using a little at a time and be in good ventilation (a fan would be advisable), so I wouldn't worry about the fumes accumulating to an ignitable level. Very likely a different substance, but I've been using acetone on the residue left over from removing the side vinyl with good results. Just wipe some solvent on, then scrub with a brush.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Im not the one to answer but im sure there is and or a chief resto. Very similar.

I was just trying to figure out how this thing goes back together. Basically all the wood in mine was so rotten it crumbled so I didn't get to really see how it was supposed to come apart.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Start here for some project ideas.
Lots of splashes to look at thanks to @Rasdiir I did see one islander in there but theres lots of similar boats, and all these boats are generally built in the same way.

From what I remember here, not many of these larger boat restos are completed. Sharpie is right, blank canvas. The bow is the only part where a lot of measurements are needed to get the wood shaped right. That and/or use a sheet of paper or cardboard to make your own template. 5/8” or 3/4” are the go to for floor thickness but I think starcraft used 1/2” which may bow as your walk on it.

For foam, big pink/purple insulation sheets from the big box stores works well. Some guys wrap theirs in plastic to avoid gas getting on them. Not much else will hurt that foam as its closed cell, will not hold water.

Before all the foam and flooring though, check rivets, structure, transom, leak test. Forget the year of your boat but some of the older, larger ones benefit from chine support, if Im calling it correctly. Seal rivets inside with gluvit or coatit.

Start here for some project ideas.
Lots of splashes to look at thanks to @Rasdiir I did see one islander in there but theres lots of similar boats, and all these boats are generally built in the same way.

From what I remember here, not many of these larger boat restos are completed. Sharpie is right, blank canvas. The bow is the only part where a lot of measurements are needed to get the wood shaped right. That and/or use a sheet of paper or cardboard to make your own template. 5/8” or 3/4” are the go to for floor thickness but I think starcraft used 1/2” which may bow as your walk on it.

For foam, big pink/purple insulation sheets from the big box stores works well. Some guys wrap theirs in plastic to avoid gas getting on them. Not much else will hurt that foam as its closed cell, will not hold water.

Before all the foam and flooring though, check rivets, structure, transom, leak test. Forget the year of your boat but some of the older, larger ones benefit from chine support, if Im calling it correctly. Seal rivets inside with gluvit or coatit.
What exactly is chine support?

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What exactly is chine support?
They are tabs that are riveted to the side and floor, they are added to help stop the chine from splitting. Starcraft didn't add these on the earlier models, although I don't remember what year they started. See this post for an example.