1984 Starcraft Islander 19V Restoration

csmith1975

Seaman
First of all... A huge thank you to the Starmada Clan. For over a year I have lurked the Starcraft forums. The information on this forum has led me on a quest to find the perfect Starcraft for my family. I have searched craigslist in Ohio and every adjoining state for fourteen months. I even got an alert on my phone for every Starcraft listed on CL for 500 miles.

I have found her...

The Admiral and I went to buy her tonight. (I bring her home Friday night)

She will be a bit of task to complete. The PO bought her 2 years ago. He never got her on the water. He Replaced the transom and flooring. The transom looks great and is very solid. The flooring on the other hand is a bit sketchy. He glued some rubber mats to the floor. The interior is trashed and will require a complete replacement. The exterior is beautiful. (In my eyes) The Admiral is on-board she said "It looks better than all the other junk you looked at". She has put the pressure on to have it on the water ASAP so that the grandkids can enjoy the boat. I gave $1200 for her, I had budgeted $2500. So the restoration coffer is in better standing than expected.

I will post pics as soon as I can figure out how....
(I know how you guys love pics!)

csmith1975

Seaman
Last one until she comes home...

Attachments

• 20140604_193414_zps2e276c55.jpg
    20140604_193414_zps2e276c55.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You are still in arrears on your Starmada dues, C. The forums are having some problems following a software upgrade. So welcome to the Tin Drydock anyway - It's not your fault.

I don't know where your pics are stored, but a photo hosting site like Photobucket is the best and easiest way to post pics. You can copy the IMG code and simply paste the code into the body of your post.

Looking forward to seeing your new Tinny. :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard the Starmada drydock Smitty! :welcome:

I really like your 'new' Islander with the V5 hull, very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing her brought back to better than her former glory when new, a worthy boat for such an endeavor. :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Dues paid in full! :D She should be a nice family cruiser.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Welcome and that is a pretty nice Islander. You will certainly appreciate the cabin space with grandchildren. Keep the pics coming along with your upgrades to her. Good luck.

csmith1975

Seaman
We finally brought her home today. The last couple days have taken forever. I didn't get to work on her until after dark. I had to sit through my daughters softball game chomping at the bit. I told the Admiral, This is like giving the kids their toys on Christmas morning, Then telling them they couldn't play with them. Tonight I cleaned out the PO's trash, And tearing apart the cabin. The Admiral took some pics...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Sweet ride and welcome to the Starcraft brotherhood!:becky::rockon:

If that Evinrude is a good runner you got that Islander for free:thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome! :welcome:

Great boat you've got there; a highly sought-after V5 hull design...for 1200...can't go wrong there!

With the transom replaced, you're hitting the ground running! :thumb:

csmith1975

Seaman
Sweet ride and welcome to the Starcraft brotherhood!:becky::rockon:

If that Evinrude is a good runner you got that Islander for free:thumb:

Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed following your work the last year.

I plan on tinkering with the motor tomorrow. It turns over and the power tilt starts. With any luck it will not take much to get running. When I picked her up the PO told me the motor ran great when he bought it 2 years ago. I hope he was honest.

csmith1975

Seaman
Welcome! :welcome:

Great boat you've got there; a highly sought-after V5 hull design...for 1200...can't go wrong there!

With the transom replaced, you're hitting the ground running! :thumb:

Thank you BlueFin. After hours of looking at the hull, I can only find 1 dent. and it is only about the size of a quarter.

I am so glad I do not have to replace the transom. (Unless it looks bad once I get the floor out)

csmith1975

Seaman
Ok, My first question to the starcraft gurus....

Do they only make Nautolex in 5 colors? Maybe I am missing something. If so, Can someone point me in the right direction for a similar product in white with blue? Or maybe a different color blue?

The Admiral says the storm grey would be fine, but the way she said it makes me want to find something that go better with the colors we are planning.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ok, My first question to the starcraft gurus....

Do they only make Nautolex in 5 colors? Maybe I am missing something. If so, Can someone point me in the right direction for a similar product in white with blue? Or maybe a different color blue?

The Admiral says the storm grey would be fine, but the way she said it makes me want to find something that go better with the colors we are planning.
Thanks in advance.

Not sure I qualify as a guru but... Yeah those are the 5 colors and there's no way I would use their nasty blue either. You may be able to find another manufacturer of marine flooring although there is little chance of having a blue match since there are so many variations. Since my Chief is mostly white the white in the flooring was good and there's a bunch of aluminum and silver which matches the gray in the floor.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think Bass Pro sells something similiar, but better do some research and see if it's good stuff.

Great looking islander you have there!

csmith1975

Seaman
Not sure I qualify as a guru but... Yeah those are the 5 colors and there's no way I would use their nasty blue either. You may be able to find another manufacturer of marine flooring although there is little chance of having a blue match since there are so many variations. Since my Chief is mostly white the white in the flooring was good and there's a bunch of aluminum and silver which matches the gray in the floor.

I have not found another manufacturer. I guess we are deciding to bring grey into the color scheme.

This weekend did not afford much time to work on her. I managed about 3 hours tonight after a cookout. I removed all of the wood from the cabin. The helm is nearly removed. The bulkhead will be removed easily once the helm is removed. I will get pictures tomorrow, It was to dark for pictures when I quit for the night.

My questions for today...

Where can I find a cap for the tip of the bow? (seems to be the only missing piece.)

What is the easiest way to remove the vinyl from the aluminum under the cabin seats?