1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

You can get a complete Delco EST ignition that will work with your engine, I have one running in my 72' 140HP Mercruiser. You have to re-wire things a bit, and as I understand it, OMC has a couple extra things that need to be done. If you buy it from Michigan Motors, they should have the docs for making it work with an OMC.

But,,, even though they will work and run, I don't think the EST has the correct ignition curve for the older GM 4cyl marine engines. I've had mine for 2-3 years and it works fine, but if you were to dig into old manuals and check the ignition curves, the EST doesn't give the proper total timing advance. Total timing with an EST is something like 24* where the old distributors are around 29*. (You have an OMC so it could be a little different)

Personally, I'd hunt up a shop that can re-bush the distributor, shouldn't be too hard in So-Cal. And while they are at it, have them check and dial in the ignition curve.

(Don't use an automotive distributor, they are not ignition protected.)

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

Thanks, I will never run automotive parts in a marine motor. Just doesn't make sense or they would have put auto motors in a boat.

As for a rebuild I will look into that. For now still going to test it on water and see how things pan out. If it don't run well then I will look into a rebuild of that and carb. later down the road I can decide on a brand new distributor. If costs is equal for rebuild then I will do that anyhow. I may live in Orange County, CA and things accessible sometimes however, price is not always cheap. People around here think everyone is made of green, which I am not. :) Military pay check does not do well supporting three kids, wife, father who lives with at the moment, and myself along with hobbies! Well enough of that I will post my results of water test here in next day or two and then go from there.