1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

The plate that the points are on is the plate. Looks like the springs are ok from your other picture.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Bruce:

So these advance weights you talk of, are they on the plate? Sorry I can Google search it I guess just not sure what your talking about. At least my springs are good so are the weights in there as well below the plate? If so I didn't touch any of that.

To answer a previous question and I know its probably bad but, previous owner said cap, points, condenser, plugs, wires all new. Plus boat ran for me about two hours fine then I had this problem.

So I never replaced them, maybe I should but judging by what I seen they looked new. I did replace plugs with NGK type recommended at West Marine from book is that bad? Should I buy a different set and brand? I did check gap on them and that was fine.

Again boat starts up and runs great, bit over 2k rpm it will bog

Maclin

Admiral

In the springs you can see in the pic, one eyelet is anchored towards the center of the distributor, and the other outboard eyelet is attached to the weight. When you have the points plate off put the rotor back on and turn it and watch the action.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Maclin: See but the original question was when I removed plate did I install advance weights correctly. The answer to that is I never touched springs or weights so if they are messed up it was not because of me. And rotor is on motor so not going to be able to turn rotor manually right? Would have to turn motor over and see the action your talking about? Which I really don't see why I would check that because I have no idea what I would be looking for if something were wrong anyhow with them.

I don't know why I asked where they were when Howard Sterndrive pointed that out in a few replies above.

Howard Sterndrive: (The weights/springs are underneath the points plate.) Sorry attention to detail I suppose.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Is 120,120,120,120 okay for compression? Find it strange they all the same numbers and yes I made sure to release air out of tester each time :) I think factory specs state it should be 155-160 correct me if I am wrong but considering it is a 1984 I would expect it to be worn. Just curious if this is a major issue?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Will a auto multi-meter suffice for a dwell testing or do I need a specific dwell tester? Just thought I could pickup at local autozone and use a multi-meter specifically for auto?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Some automotive multimeters have dwell. They are often so expensive that it is just better to pick up a $20 dwell meter.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Some automotive multimeters have dwell. They are often so expensive that it is just better to pick up a $20 dwell meter.

Okay I will just get a dwell tester, on another note could you let me know if the compression numbers are good for now at least. 120,120,120,120 in all cylinders. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They aren't great but not your problem.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bruce.

My moeller fuel pickup tube and anti-siphon valve came in today so I will install tomorrow. Once I do that I will again check my TDC just to be sure I did it correctly. Yesterday my father felt compression twice but when I checked timing groove with timingplate it was not lined up to 0(TDC). After reading the adults section if it does not line up turn motor until it does and check rotorplacement and if its not at spark post for cylinder 1 then its off right?

Once I confirm this I will dwell it and time it and hopefully all goes well.

If that's not it then I can only guess carb rebuild. Which reminds me I called a place today to ask on price for rebuild of a Rochester 2jet and guy said rough estimate $350. Is he insane air know economy sucks but you can buy brand new for almost that price.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your distributor is in the right spot. You don't need to wory about it. The fact that it runs and you were able to adjust the timing already is why its ok.

You obviouslly need to get the timing set correctly first and then tackle the fuel side that is most likely your main issue.

Maclin

Admiral

Maclin: See but the original question was when I removed plate did I install advance weights correctly. The answer to that is I never touched springs or weights so if they are messed up it was not because of me. And rotor is on motor so not going to be able to turn rotor manually right? Would have to turn motor over and see the action your talking about? Which I really don't see why I would check that because I have no idea what I would be looking for if something were wrong anyhow with them.

I don't know why I asked where they were when Howard Sterndrive pointed that out in a few replies above.

Howard Sterndrive: (The weights/springs are underneath the points plate.) Sorry attention to detail I suppose.

What rotor do you think I am referring to? I mean the one on the top of the distributor shaft that you had to take off to get at the points plate. Or just try to turn the distributor shaft by hand, or use a screwdriver for leverage in the rotor locator cutout, just be gentle. Everything I am referring to is in the picture except the rotor (and a screwdriver). The top of the distributor shaft moves in the direction as the rotation of the distributor to effect timing advance as rpm's rise, this action is controlled by the weights and springs.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay fair enough, tomorrow I will install new fuel pickup tube then and anti-siphon valve. Then I will dwell test it, check timing and fire her up.

Previous post I mentioned buying NGK plugs. While I was at West Marine I looked my motor up and bought the NGK recommended. Made sure gap was set right. My question was are those adequate plug type or should I get a different set?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Maclin: thanks I know what your talking about. My question was while you mention turn rotor what exactly am I looking for in the springs and advance weights? Just that everything moves correctly? And also I said since distributor was installed would I need to remove again in order to test your theory?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Once you get your timing set up, increase the RPM and see if the timing advances propery to the specs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFfnenMFQ3U
Go to the 3:00 time in the video. Skip the first part about vacuum advance since it doesn't apply to your distributor.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

So will the manual state the timing advance number it should read? Right now its set at 4 degrees BTDC at idle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So will the manual state the timing advance number it should read? Right now its set at 4 degrees BTDC at idle.

You should get an additional 28? for a total of 32?. If you don't have an advance type timing light, you will have to use some timing tape or make your own marks.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Got it and I do have a advanced type. Thanks for that video and info.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a dumb question but have to ask when timing since it is my first time usingadvance timing light the dial needs to remain on 0 for advance timing dial on the light right while adjusting timing at a idle. Then the only time you would move dial is to check the advance your timing has to confirm its correct?

Maclin

Admiral

I was just thinking, if you still had the distributor apart, and since you were curious about how and what a distributor does, that you could see how the advance mechanism worked while checking the action. You can still check the action by just removing the cap and trying it.