1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1984 Seaswirl OMC running rough

Here is a dumb question but have to ask when timing since it is my first time usingadvance timing light the dial needs to remain on 0 for advance timing dial on the light right while adjusting timing at a idle. Then the only time you would move dial is to check the advance your timing has to confirm its correct?

You use the dial to bring the timing mark "back" to 0 on the engine marks. At that point whatever number the dial shows is the advance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Here is a dumb question but have to ask when timing since it is my first time usingadvance timing light the dial needs to remain on 0 for advance timing dial on the light right while adjusting timing at a idle. Then the only time you would move dial is to check the advance your timing has to confirm its correct?
at idle, you just set the dial on the light at 4? and adjust the distributor until the mark on the crankshaft aligns with the zero mark on the tab.

edit: which is basically the same thing Maclin said.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Well today I had some success....checked timing again and turns out it was advanced by 12 degrees after TDC. I timed it to factory specs 4 degrees BTDC. Seemed to run better but since I'm only on muffs didn't want to put too much load on it.

Also picked up a dwell today so timing the boat may have been no use until I check dwell on Sunday but at least I know my timing was originally off.will post results of dwell and the timing again Sunday evening. Then maybe Monday or Tuesday I will sea trial depending on how things go.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Never used a dwell meter tester so any advice as a how to?

Maclin

Admiral

Connect black lead to ground and red lead to coil negative terminal.

Dwell can be expressed in degrees or percentage. The book with the meter probably has a conversion chart. There may also be a conversion chart on the back of the meter. When reading a conversion chart pay attention to the number of cylinders. For your engine be sure the meter is set for 4 cycle, and if it has multiple functions be sure the selector is on Dwell.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Yea I bought one from local auto zone which is a multi-meter with ability of dwell.. also settings for 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl. I read online hook negative to negative on coil and positive to positive on coil is that not correct?

Maclin: I see you said positive to negative so just wanted to clarify?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Oh and love how my rank on here is the same rank as my Active Duty Navy Career currently serving 9 years and only 11 more to go....wooohoo! Sorry! :)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Yea I bought one from local auto zone which is a multi-meter with ability of dwell.. also settings for 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl.I read online hook negative to negative on coil and positive to positive on coil is that not correct?
no, read the booklet that came with the meter

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Howard: Thanks I didn't open it up yet will get to it Sunday. Going out of town today until tomorrow. Then back at fixing this boat! Talk to you guys soon.

Oh and I will post pics of boat and what not when I get back.

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay eliminated anti-siphon valve only for test purposes and motor seemed to run better. I hit about 3k rpm and some hesitation, one time bogged down. All fuel filters replaced, new plugs, points new, distribute, rotor, etc. Cleaned flame arrested, so I have new fuel pickup coming Friday along with anti-siphon valve. I will install that and see hoe goes. I didn't change fuel yet but its not old unless by chance it has water then idk. Next step Carb rebuild but anyone else got any other ideas? I'll run her Friday under load in water and not muffed.

Let me know if any other ideas. I know 3k rpm is not right should be higher.

you could very well have some water in the tank for the sake of beating your head against the wall trying to figure out whats wrong jack the nose of the boat up on the trailer and siphon out a sample of fuel from the tank. the water will be sitting under the gas in the tank because it is denser with the nose of the boat up it will rush to the stern of the tank when u jack it up. next check the fuel for a seperation line after it has setteled in a glass jar for a couple minutes. if it does have water continue doing this until you have siphoned it all out. The next thing i see could be your problem is a sticky choke or your float in the carb is not adjusted right. check your fuel first! good luck

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Full Stringer: Good points and will take into consideration. I'm still convinced it will be a carburator rebuild which is no big deal. This past weekend I rebuild a quad carb complete and relatively easy. Key is pay attention how parts come together and position.

For water in fuel I will certainly give that a shot, its possible but I doubt it. Never know until that is eliminated though.

Not much progress on dwell test and re time, or fuel pickup tube installed and new anti-siphon valve. That will take place Wednesday along with water in fuel check. If nothing helps then a carb rebuild kit will be on order.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay everyone good news!!! I managed to get a few minutes in the garage tonight to have my father help me with setting the dwell. Much easier with four pair of hands then two. I did get the dwell set, was difficult becuase the numbers were jumpy. However, I locked in the setting it requires and then checked timing to find that it was advance by 8 showing 4 degrees ATDC. So I set timing once more, and now I have a good running boat. At least that is my synopsis for the moment. I muffed her and ran her for awhile on idle, warmed it up, checked timing once more, then shifted in and out of gears giving some throttle. Not too much as it is muffed but she seemed to take the gas very well.

Ultimate test will be Sunday, I plan to take her out for a couple hours close to the house in the harbor and trial. If all goes well I will get out to some open water and let her loose then really see. Wish me luck!!!! I still plan to drain fuel and replace with brand new. Also still need to install fuel pickup and anti-siphon valve. The one I have bypasses that and that is not CC standards, Ooooops, better change that before I go!!! Then new fuel and lastly I have ordered a carb rebuild kit just why not!? Its only $32 plus shipping so can't really go wrong doing so.

Well off to do other things like fix my classic mustangs but in the meantime once I sea trial her I will post results and possibly a video of how she running. Thanks everyone thus far.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the numbers were jumpy for the dwell, you have a worn out distributor. Jumpy dwell results in jumpy timing.

If you were at 4? ATDC, you were way retarded form the spec timing, not advanced.

fishrdan

Admiral

If the numbers were jumpy for the dwell, you have a worn out distributor. Jumpy dwell results in jumpy timing.

^^^ That's what I was thinking too, when I read you were having problems with the dwell jumping around.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (not going back to read 3 pages...) but I would add a water separating fuel filter between the fuel tank and fuel pump

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Do you suspect points being bad as well? Just curious and/or condesor? Or you convinced it is my distributor?

If you were at 4? ATDC, you were way retarded form the spec timing, not advanced.

Also did not mean advanced, but that I was 4? above TDC or in my case my timing marks state ahead.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ That's what I was thinking too, when I read you were having problems with the dwell jumping around.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (not going back to read 3 pages...) but I would add a water separating fuel filter between the fuel tank and fuel pump

No I did not install a water separating fuel filter between the fuel tank and pump. However, I will look into that. I will need to check fuel as someone stated to drain fuel into a container and wait for a separation mark between water and fuel if any.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Also worn out distributor? Can it be rebuilt or will I be much better to buy new one? Gosh I know those can be very pricey so I hate to go that route.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Quick price check, and well $249.00 the best I seen for brand new so far, suppose that is not too bad. What if I just replaced points with electronic conversion think that may help?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Quick price check, and well $249.00 the best I seen for brand new so far, suppose that is not too bad. What if I just replaced points with electronic conversion think that may help?
It might help because the thing that is worn out is the bushing and that is what causes the point gap to change as the shaft is moving all over the place. Its not expensive at all to get the bushings in your distributor changed. Since you live in the LA area, should actually be very easy. I had mine done years ago when I had a points distributor.