1984 johnson 90hp carb leaking fuel out air cleaner

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check the driveshaft seal below the water pump housing. Many times that's where water gets in. If it's been in saltwater, the driveshaft can get pitted and cause even worse leaks. Anyhow, that seal shrinks up, hardens, and the edges that wear against the drive shaft wear down as it ages and starts leaking.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A new shift rod cover and gasket is the easiest / cost effective fix.
Thanks Racer. I went to four different auto parts stores looking for an identical oring(that was fun to take out of the cover) and couldnt find one. I am making a trip to the evinrude/johnson dealer today. They dont have any covers in stock but have the oring on hand atleast. I SHOULD still order the cover off ebay but anxious to get out this weekend, if possible.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess I forgot to mention that you won't find that o-ring at the hardware store or in a " these will fit everywhere " kit.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a boat horn/trumpet up on the bow somewhere? Or maybe that button is actually an overheat light.
I do not. What I get from the manual, is that it is an overheat warning horn.
When I ground the temp sensor wire, my temp gauge shoots all the way up, but no horn sound.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess I forgot to mention that you won't find that o-ring at the hardware store or in a " these will fit everywhere " kit.
I know, it was just my preference. I was being impatient. I hate ordering and waiting, thought I would try my luck. The evinrude store is a bit of a drive, but o well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The overheat warning horn was in the control box for may 1984 models.-----But these days there are very creative modifications made.-----Without pictures we do not know what you have !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes ---every town used to have a small outboard repair shop.-----The factory does not want those places anymore.----They want big " selling " dealers that have $100/ HR+ service department.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check the driveshaft seal below the water pump housing. Many times that's where water gets in. If it's been in saltwater, the driveshaft can get pitted and cause even worse leaks. Anyhow, that seal shrinks up, hardens, and the edges that wear against the drive shaft wear down as it ages and starts leaking.
If I am following you.............I replaced the water pump housing as well as that gasket under the water pump. If that needed replaced, wouldn't I hear air hissing/leaking from there as well when I pump up pressure?
no saltwater.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??---Where the DRIVESHAFT goes into the lower unit there are 2 seals.-----And on a 1984 model 90 HP if the seals are original you need a complete seal kit.---Much more cheaper than gears , bearings and shafts !!

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I am following you.............I replaced the water pump housing as well as that gasket under the water pump. If that needed replaced, wouldn't I hear air hissing/leaking from there as well when I pump up pressure?
no saltwater.
What racer said. There are two seals back to back surrounding the driveshaft that keep the gear oil in and and the water out. In an 82 model they are in a holder that can be removed making it easy to replace them. You could spray them with soapy water while pressured up to see if air is leaking out. It's possible you can't hear it.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you both.
I had replaced those seals 329922 and 329923 previously during the rebuild.
I replaced my shift rod cover o'ring and pressure test looked good, and have had the boat out for about 1.5hrs and all appears to be good!