1984 johnson 90hp carb leaking fuel out air cleaner

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just cleaned carbs and reassembled. I took off the air cleaner and gas came pouring out the bottom. The lower carbs are leaking gas despite me cleaning them. I can reclean and double check float level if suggested. The spark plugs:
Top spark plugs were black and carbon stuck.
The lower end carbs looks almost like they haven't even sent a spark. Previous owner claimed to have replaced all of them, but not sure how true that is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to revisit carburetor work.----Float or float valve has issues.-----Perhaps post the compression values on this 36 year old crossflow motor.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks racerone for the reply.

I went over the lower carb again. Nothing seemed to really stand out to ME but couple things to note.

I noticed the spring clip on the float assembly would not pull the needle out everytime that I turned it upside down and right side up a couple times. I adjust the needle a bit and it seemed to help, although my needle does not look like the one in the parts diagram here . See attached "spring clip1" and "spring clip2" of mine. The angle and bend is different.
I turned the carb upside down and attempted to blow air in the inlet with my mouth and it seemed sealed correctly.
There is a pin sized gash in the carb, doesn't go all the way through, see attached "gash in carb"
See attached "hole in bolt hole"(create naming, I know) Could that be an issue? Gas somehow getting in or out??

Reassembled and pulled all the plugs and tested for spark, all looks good.
Did compression test when standing behind the boat and facing the cylinders, the top left(Port side??) was 118, bottom left 120, top right(starboard side??) 100 and bottom right 90. I Believe 125 or greater is where we want to aim for with this engine. I pulled the starboard cylinder head off to see what I could see but am going to need your expertise to determine where to go from here. There seemed to be lateral play in the piston, I don't have a feeler gauge to say how much( I need to buys some). Lots of carbon build up, but no obvious cracks or gauges in the cylinder or piston. Assuming these are all original gaskets. I have more pics if needed and can do any checks and tests needed.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any and all help!!!!!!

Attachments

• bolt hole is much deeper than bolt.jpg
    bolt hole is much deeper than bolt.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 20
  • gash in carb.jpg
    gash in carb.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 21
  • hole in bolt hole.jpg
    hole in bolt hole.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 16
  • spring clip1.jpg
    spring clip1.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 12
  • spring clip2.jpg
    spring clip2.jpg
    942.7 KB · Views: 13
  • valve assembly.jpg
    valve assembly.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 14

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gas will leak out of the bottom of the emulsion tube on these very often. i put some gasiola sealer around them to stop this. another thing with floats sticking: when you use the metal float pins, they can stick to the float becuase of minute rust, which is why i use the plastic ones in the kits with new floats. you can test this by inserting the original metal pin and swinging the float back and forth. if you feel even the slightest resistance, get a new float and/or pin. or just clean the metal pin off with 1200 grit of you really are attached to it (no pun intended).

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Post pictures of piston / cylinder wall of the one with 90 PSI.
I can get more if needed. If we can upload video that may be best. Just let me know. Thank you for your time

Attachments

• 20201028_231500.jpg
    20201028_231500.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201028_231643.jpg
    20201028_231643.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20201028_231652.jpg
    20201028_231652.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the bypass cover off and have a look at piston and rings on that lowest PSI cylinder.---Invest in that $2.00 gasket.-------With 90 PSI if it was not the head gasket I would take the motor apart.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To me.........things looked fine. See attached. So I need to replace head gasket, test compression again, and if still low, take the top end apart? I don't need to "split the case" at this point right?20201029_182005.jpg20201029_181616.jpg20201029_181423.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No point in doing anything or cleaning the carburetors.----That motor has scored pistons !!!!------It needs to come apart for rebuilding.-----Now you might understand post #2 on this list I think.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No point in doing anything or cleaning the carburetors.----That motor has scored pistons !!!!------It needs to come apart for rebuilding.-----
Ya, thats embarassing, its extremely obvious in the pics. Duh. Ok. I will order 2 new pistons and new gaskets.
No point in doing anything or cleaning the carburetors........Now you might understand post #2 on this list I think.
Meaning, this was the cause of the gas pooling in the bottom carbs the whole time? It most likely wasn't a carb issue??????

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Previous owner knew there were issues.-----They are often listed with the ----" needs tune up "----Or ----" carburetors need cleaning "

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You need 4 new pistons !----Take this thing apart.---Inspect everything before ordering parts.
Will do, thank you for your help and advice.
My 84 crestliner nordic with johnson 90hp for 1500 GREAT DEAL is slowly diminishing!!! Oh well, if I can get it running solid it will be well worth it. Just started digging into small engines ATV mostly. I didnt even know how to take th cowl off a week ago, also didnt know what a cowl was haha.

Thanks again, I will surely be having a question or 10 at some point.

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks to me like that engine was either severely overheated or run without oil.

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks to me like that engine was either severely overheated or run without oil.
I think either one or both may be the culprit. I noticed the tube that connects to the tell tale port is not connected to anything else on the other end. I can't find the parts diagram for my J90MLCRD cooling system, let alone an actualy OEM manufactorers manual for it. Plenty of seloc manuals but I need OEM.
I DO plan on removing the oil pump(need to research how) and mixing at the recommended 50:1 to rule out any oil issues.

Will working on removing the powerhead and digging in.

Thanks

ct1762@gmail.com

are those pistons standard or oversized already? no way 10 thou off will clean those up if they are!

ct1762@gmail.com

by "gash" in carb do you mean that little hole that's part of the idle circuit and has another one on the other side, or is there a crack somewhere?

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
by "gash" in carb do you mean that little hole that's part of the idle circuit and has another one on the other side, or is there a crack somewhere?
If you look at the pic of what I called the "gash" here, you will see its not part of the idle circuit. Maybe I am missing something but this is not part of the design..??..?? The idle circuit is 2 holes on each carb that are right next to each other, right?

Catchafish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is the reason there was gas leaking, due to the lack of compression on the starboard side cylinders? Or do I have more carb work ahead of me????