1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

That is a huge tank, good thing it will be a while between fills at roughly $332.00 :eek: I wonder where the P/O got 38 gal from :confused:

Yah buddy, I stepped it off and I think it's nearly a full 8 feet long!

The only thing I can think is maybe I misunderstood him? Maybe I just didn't hear him right? I can't see how a fella would mistake a 100 gal for 38 gal:noidea:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Only 100 gallons???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I can think is maybe I misunderstood him? Maybe I just didn't hear him right? I can't see how a fella would mistake a 100 gal for 38 gal:noidea:

Because he could only afford to put 38 gallons in her. :eek: I bet you have no decisions on tank placement, it can only fit where it is - That thing is HUGE. I see the model number - 100 SC it looks like. Seems like a special built 100 gal. tank for Starcraft.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow....you could start smuggling!
Cuba run??
Lol...300.00 bucks to fill and 600+ lbs of weight..
Makes me wish I gutted the twin 40 gallon saddle tanks my first POS glass boat had before I became in light tinned!

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at the first pic and before I recognized the fuel tank, I thought you had a found a ladder. I understand some people put them under deck on larger SC.

chriscraft254

Commander

WOUGH BABY, I JUST FOUND SOMETHING!!!!

So I was just headed out for a run and thought I'd stop by the 261 to see how she's doing. I happened to find the edge of the ply deck and just gave it a half hearted pull. It popped right up it was so rotten. And what did I see under there?

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

P1110418.jpg

P1110419.jpg

It's humongo!!!!! How big?

P1110422.jpg

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Man am I pumped! When I got this the previous owner said she had a 38 gallon tank in there. I was kinda disappointed and really wanted something bigger. Well not any more!!!!:becky:

So yah, 100 otta do it:thumb:
That's really the size tank it should have. Probably a pretty shallow tank, mines half that length and 112 gallons. Now lets hope its in good shape so you don't have to replace it. :facepalm:

The only thing I can think is maybe I misunderstood him? Maybe I just didn't hear him right? I can't see how a fella would mistake a 100 gal for 38 gal

He probably said it takes $380.00 to fill it. Or maybe it had an air vent issue and that's all he could get in it.

Wow....you could start smuggling!
Cuba run??
Lol...300.00 bucks to fill and 600+ lbs of weight..
Makes me wish I gutted the twin 40 gallon saddle tanks my first POS glass boat had before I became in light tinned!

I think weed is a lot lighter weight than fuel, just sayin. lol

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Wow, thats huge!! Makes my twin 18 gallon tanks look like nothing!

I want one for my 22 Chieftain. Would settle for 70 or 80 gals though.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think It's officially a Tanker!:facepalm:

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats totally cool Jason; Am really happy for you. Too my way of thinking more is definitely better when it comes to our fuel on board, especially if you all want to go on extended trip.:encouragement:

Gibbles

Commander

With a tank of that size watch out for those rocks!
wrecked-oil-tanker-clean-sea-water-23915013.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

B I see the model number - 100 SC it looks like. Seems like a special built 100 gal. tank for Starcraft.

Yah, I think you might be right on the GA, very interesting!

I thought you had a found a ladder. I understand some people put them under deck on larger SC.

Super cool people who are also increadably good looking use them for extra deck support:becky:

Now lets hope its in good shape so you don't have to replace it.

I tell ya what - with the expanding foam in this boat I was certain it was all foamed in and I'd be dealing with corrosion. I was able to get underneath it and reluctantly lifted it up. NO FOAM!!!!! NO CORROSION!!!! YESSSSSSSS! They actually laid down alternating rubber strips so it would kinda drain in there. It's filthy dirty but 100% solid, pumped! :thumb:

Or maybe it had an air vent issue and that's all he could get in it.

Hmmmm, tell me more about this ^^^^^^^.

See....

I started draining the fuel out yesterday afternoon and was met with a super weird sound. I tipped it up to allow the fuel to drain out the fuel supply. As soon as it started flowing I heard a "buzzing" sound. The best I can describe it would be almost like hearing a bee hive inside the tank. It's almost like a flap or reed or something buzzing as either air was on it's way in or fuel was on it's way out. Hmmmmmmmm...... I'll see if I can shoot some video of it this afternoon so you guys can hear what I'm hearing.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I also ran my first dig into that foam yesterday too.

I really wanted to check the condition of my fuel line, so I dug em out...
P1110425.jpg

Sure enough, that foam is totally completely soaked, clear up to the top. Ugh what a bear it's going to be digging all that garbage out:blue:

My vent line was ok and the fill line looked nearly new at each end which got my hopes up!

The middle section that was all foamed up was no good though. There were blisters, kinda hard to make out but they are all over the place...
P1110426.jpg

Rats:cold:

I despise expanding foam.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did a PO rebuild the seat bases? This pix is still IN the boat isn't it:
P1110425.jpg

That looks like OSB ply :confused:

Sorry about the fuel lines........ Bummer esp aft having good news at either end.......

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

haven't been on here in a couple weeks, and you went all willy nilly on this thing :) thought this project was going to wait a while before started? :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That looks like OSB ply. :confused:

Looks bad huh. Nope, that's the original fir plywood. I can actually push my finger right down in there, right through the plywood. Big wet mess.

thought this project was going to wait a while before started? :)

Yah, I'm just kinda picking away at the tear down. I'm in no rush at all, I have a long way to go.

I do know that once I turn the corner, and actually start to rebuild, this big girl will need to be inside a pole barn. Now, since I don't actually have a pole barn, you can see that this project progress has some limitations.:grumpy:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do know that once I turn the corner, and actually start to rebuild, this big girl will need to be inside a pole barn. Now, since I don't actually have a pole barn, you can see that this project progress has some limitations.:grumpy:

Are you going to start a pole barn thread? JB might comment with "find 40 acres". Just jokin', JB.

chriscraft254

Commander

Sometimes you can get a air lock or debris in the fuel vent not allowing fuel to go in because air won't go out. Has happened a couple times on mine. And if it sounds like bees, it could be!!! :facepalm: Don't think they would like the atmosphere inside the tank, but maybe the vent line.

That rotten deck and soaked foam is a good thing, it means it will come out really easy. :) No need for a pole barn either, I was stripping bottom paint all last winter. Just get some cover alls and get to work mister!! :whip::D

Status
Not open for further replies.