1983 21 Shadow

198321Shadow

Recruit
I am headed to pick up a 1983 21 Shadow project down in Florida Saturday and I need some advice. I know the floor needs to be replaced and the current owner started removing it. I am going to assume the stringers will need to be replaced too. From what I have seen and researched it will be time to break out the grinder. I do not want to separate the hull from the deck - what do I need to look for? I was told the transom has been replaced - which I find hard to believe if they did not do the floor and stringers at the same time. Any advice before I pick up the boat is appreciated. If I decide it is to much work for me, what is a typical cost to replace the floor at stringers? I know there are always variables, ballpark cost would be nice to know.

Thanks!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice puddle jumper! fOR THIS THEY ARE ASKING 14000.00 POTATOES.
Offer 2000.00 with trailer. As usual the pics don't stick.
84'
Photo of Shadow - Shadow 1984
not-specified-950359.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
assume the floor, stringers, transom, etc all need to be replaced. Assume a cost of $3500 if you do the work yourself (tools, PPE, incidentals, plywood, resin, glass, materials, foam, etc.)

if you have to pay someone to do that work, assume $14,000 or more

198321Shadow

Recruit
14K - that would be a hard pill to swallow. I been trying to find some videos or pics on removing wet balsa core - is it a break out the grinder, get itchy and plan on spending days to get it out?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
removing balsa core in a cored hull is above and beyond my estimate. depending on what you have to re-core, add another $1k if you do it yourself. add another $6k if you pay someone.

it is time consuming...... read that as high labor cost. these types of project are only cost effective if you do the work.

you must remove one layer of glass
remove all the bad core
replace the core using similar (balsa in this case) and secure with core bond
replace the layer of fiberglass

then go on to the stringers, bulkheads and transom, then the floor, foam, etc.

most boats that need more than stringers and transom and actually need a hull cored usually get ground up as filler material for Sea Cast

post a few more times and you can post pics. Pics will help us help you.

however at the very minimum, you should go to the top of the forum (on your computer, not your phone), and look at the DIY sticky with the links. go thru links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety. look at every picture, watch every video.

as far as re-coring, plenty of re-coring vids on youtube. best ones are on sailing forums.

here is one I found with a 1 second google search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtjHjJhBV0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Its all about the $$buy number. The rest is standard as described.