1982 Tournament 225

Tinklespout

Cadet
Hi,
I'm looking at a 1982 22ft Tournament 225. It has an Armstrong bracket but no motor. What motor should I put on it to get the best possible gas mileage?
Thanks

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1982 Tournament 225

I have an '86 225 with a Honda 225 four stroke, and I'd not want any less, gets about 2.82 mpg across my entire operating range (lengthy runs with several hours of slow trolling, based on actual mileage and over 600 gallons). Early tournaments are battle wagons, don't scrimp on power unless all you plan to do is cruise around the lake with a light load ...

Tinklespout

Cadet
Re: 1982 Tournament 225

Hi,
I'm looking for a boat to do long rides to the Keys with two or three people. I'll be going about 130 miles each way. I don't need to go more than 25 mph and it will be intercoastal most of the way. I'd just like to have enough boat should I run into rough seas. I was thinking about a 24 foot panga. I can get 7 or 8 mpg out of it. I understand that I can't get this from the GW but I'd sacrifice some mpg for safety. I thought that I could undersized the engine and get new technology. What do you think?