1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

No good for me then as for the joint peices. I thought I had it beat too. Time to re-think them I guess.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You need longer then 8ft stringers so you plan to use 3/4" ply to make them & use the 1/2" ply as sister's along side the joint between the 2 lengths of 3/4"?

If you can find 1/2" exterior ply that's 5ply, you could use it doubled up to make your stringers 1" total, and stagger the seams in the 1/2".

More, but less expensive per sheet, lumber and much easier to glass. You could even double up 3/8" ply for 3/4" stringers....

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do with the stringers. I am going to sister them together with some 1/2 ply of some kind. I'm searching for some right now. I have found a few that say they are exterior plywoods and are made with exterior glue.

I had originally planned to do exactly as you mentioned with the staggered 3/8 boards. The thing is, I was unable to find any 3/8 thick plywood that would serve the purpose and wasn't $90 a sheet. I found some hdo that was 1/2, and the Arauco 3/4 that I have two sheets of right now. A lumber distributor in Salt Lake City had the 3/8 plywood and the hdo that I just mentioned but the local store had the 3/4 and it was only $40 a sheet and 10 minutes drive away.
So I figured I would use the 3/4. I suppose if I have to use the 3/4 for sister joints, then I will. And with the two sheets I already have, i can build my transom, stringers, ribs and floatation pods. My stringers will just be pretty thick where the joints are. I may also have to shift the tank around a few inches of so.

Anyway, I am still looking for some sheeting that will work. I dont want to buy a 4?8 of plywood to build 2 joints out of. The peice I picked up today is only about 24?48 and it is a 5 ply. Im going to see if I can search it and post it up for you. That way you can tell me what you think.
Thanks man.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Here's another one. I haven't thought untill now about bilge and bulkhead paint. What is a recommended type and brand?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Heres a link to the board I was going to use. They are saying that I can be used as outdoor as long as it's proprrly treated.
Project Panels 5.2 mm x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Sande (4-Pack)-1511004 at The Home Depot

That Sande plywood is less than 1/4" thick and is cut up into 2'x4' pieces.

You should be ok with the Baltic Birch, I did a google search on it and all I could find was made with the exterior grade phenolic (epoxy) glue. They also claim it has a void free core which is real good, let us know just how void free it is when you start cutting it up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The plywood you have for "Sister Joints" will be fine. Once it's coated with resin and encapsulated in Glass it'll last for decades. No Problems there. Use the 3/4" Aruaco Plywood for you Stingers and your Transom. It's Really good stuff. You Can use a Product called Bilgecoat for the bilge OR just use Plain ole' Rustoleum Oil Based with the Hardener added and it will last for years. It's what I used and after 3 years it still looks like new.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

It sure is JNG. I posted thd wrong link. It's the same type of wood as for being the sande plywood, but the peice I have is the 1/2 thick 5 ply. It's about 24?48, I'm pretty sure.

WOG. Is there a certain kind of hardener for the oil base?

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks WOG. I'll see what I can locate around here.

You guys have talked about using the 1708 to line the hull with. I like that idea. But is there any particular reason why I shouldn't just use the CSM?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks WOG. I'll see what I can locate around here.

You guys have talked about using the 1708 to line the hull with. I like that idea. But is there any particular reason why I shouldn't just use the CSM?

You can use 2 layups of CSM on an existing hull or 1 layup of 1708, it's up to you.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks JNG. I don't know for sure how I'll go about it then. I do know this. I just finished another nice long relaxing grinding session and just can't wait to start back up again tomorrow. :) The truth about it, is that I really am almost finished grinding. I have probably 2 hours or so left of it, and then it's time to clean the old glass off of the stringers. Then I get to tear down that shelter.:joyous:

However, I did drop a level on one of my cross braces and it is completely out of whack! There has been some hull shift going on as I've been working inside of there. I knew it was was doing it, especially since the transom skin came out and gave the extra room for bottom center drop. By that time it was a bit late for me to do anything about it.
So now I will have to figure out some way to see if and how much shift it has taken on. Then I will have to figure out how to fix it. I'm hoping that if I can get my stringers cut close and measured out right, squared and such, it will partially work itself out.
Other then that, the time for it is coming pretty soon. By the end of next week I should have my materials and hopefully a way to re-set the hull.
Thanks again all for the help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Once the grinding is complete and the inside is all clean and you're ready to start placing stringers, that will be the time to get the hull staight. Start at the front where it's most likely to be still correct and get your level bearings then move towards the back. Hopefully you have measurements from before so you can reset it to it's original settings. You should not have a problem getting her back to her original settings with a little work.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

After looking through some of the pics of the boat to see if I could figure out what has happened, I noticed that it has slid back about 4 inches. For some reason I disconnected the trailer strap some time ago. After all of the climbing in and out, it just shifted.
This is the first time I've done all of this but, with it being braced from side to side on the top the way it is, it shouldn't have moved too much. There is only a very limited amount of room for side to side movement because of where the hull kind of locks itself onto the bunks. But it can shift about an inch in that direction. Hopefully, once I'm finished messing around so much inside of there, I will be able to push it back forward again and up onto the bow keel brace board that I have mounted onto the trailer. By doing that, I think it should narrow down where the shift took place.
And yes, I do have a lot of measurement to use for puting the structure back in too. I think that will help.
Thanks WOG.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Got your PM, your box is full (50msg total limit, inbox & sent)

Your welcome, happy new year to you & yours

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks jbcurt00. I got the same message, so I went in and cleaned it out.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey all. Here's a question. I found some 1608 with the 3/4 oz matt in my local area and was wondering if anyone has used it and if it would work for my resto? Please let me know why it would or wouldn't work. I have already placed part of my order for material, but I suppose I could change things around a bit before it ships out. Thanks everyone.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Based on the discussions to date, I'd only use the 1608 on the extra reinforcement of the hull, and ONLY if it's bi-axial glass. Elsewhere I'd stick w/ the 1708. Is 1oz less glass going to offer substantially less strength then 1708 layups? No, probably not, but how much trust to you put in probably?

Don't forget, that low cost, inexpensive, left over glass can be problematic unless it's been stored well wrapped, and not exposed to moisture. As an add-on, just because we can, extra layer of glass on the whole hull to reinforce it, I would be inclined to trust it to be sufficient. For my stringers, transom & bulkheads, the boat's primary support system, I'd be less inclined to use it.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok jbcurt00. Thanks for the answer on that. I also found some 1808. I know this would be stronger even then 1708 but would that extra ounce become a serious problem on curved and bent surfaces?
About this glass... it's actually coming from a large distributor that I found in SLC. They wont supply me themselves because I'm not a business or whatever, but I may be able to get it from a local company that supplies it to the public. The same place I am buying my resin from.