1981 Starcraft SS 16' rebuild

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1981 Starcraft SS 16' rebuild

A hint. When you are going like gangbusters and moving along there will be small pauses in the battle. Waiting for the gluvit to dry is one of them and it is a good time to start sanding down the exterior if you intend on painting. There is always something to be worked on.

That interior looks great and makes many starcraft people flashback.

bryan65

Seaman

Thanks, Yes, I only really have time to go nuts on weekends. I plan on spending this week cutting wood and applying the epoxy. I will not work on the actual interior again till at least next weekend. I am suprised it came so clean, it looked so bad. Someone on one of the other restores showed how good power washing was (I was impressed as so many others were), So I looked until I found one and did it, Glad I did.

I don't have the money alot may have to go nuts, Not planning on repainting the outside, it is not that bad, just going to do some touch-up. I would not have went this far, but so many great people on this site and all the great restores I have read. This site is just so great for us newbies who would have probably done half of what we will do, and have a great boat for years to come!!

bryan65

Seaman

Update: Took the day off pretty much, Wore myself out this weekend, I did go get SS for the transom area and a few other areas when I start putting stuff back..

Question for future use. I want to put a speedometer, RPM meter and voltmeter. I am looking for a black set, My question is voltmeter will be easy (I am an electrician) but I need the whole kit for the speedometer, since the transducer was missing, and I wonder if any RPM gauge will work with my setup and engine control I have. I looked at the meters and gauges here at IBoats. but do not know which ones will have everything I need, any suggestions?

Update: Took the day off pretty much, Wore myself out this weekend, I did go get SS for the transom area and a few other areas when I start putting stuff back..

Question for future use. I want to put a speedometer, RPM meter and voltmeter. I am looking for a black set, My question is voltmeter will be easy (I am an electrician) but I need the whole kit for the speedometer, since the transducer was missing, and I wonder if any RPM gauge will work with my setup and engine control I have. I looked at the meters and gauges here at IBoats. but do not know which ones will have everything I need, any suggestions?

Make sure you get a tach that is compatible with the amount of cylinders your engine has. The speedo is an easy install, and you can use anything you want for it. The pitot tube pickup that mounts to the back of the boat is sometimes included, and if not they are very cheap. You simply run a hose from it to the back of the speedo.
Only real specific part you will need is if you install a trim gauge you will need one that matches your make of engine.

bryan65

Seaman

Update, Been awhile. Got all the wood cut this week. Epoxied the floor and transom pieces, and yesterday got it layed in the boat. Unfortunately. My screws were a little short and did not find rivits long enough, then went to fastenal only to find they are closed on weekends UGHH!!. No one said this would be easy..lol My wife has been cleaning and painting the aluminum parts for the inside. Also been fixing the seats. Anyway here are some updated pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cut trasom.jpg
    cut trasom.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • trasom done.jpg
    trasom done.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • floor aft.jpg
    floor aft.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • floor for.jpg
    floor for.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You're really moving along nicely on this project.

A couple of suggestions.

1. You should seriously consider installing floatation foam before you fasten your decking down.

2. You may also want to consider installing your deck finish (carpet, vinyl, or a paint product) to your decking before fastening your decking down to the boat. This way you can remove your decking if you need to make repairs below deck or make improvements without having to mess up your deck finish. There have been quite a few people that have regretted installing their deck finish over their fasteners.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks good, great progress. there's alway's a monkeywrench trown in or as these guy's say "murphy showed up" I had a bit of a time with the rivits as well. I have mine almost put back together and waiting on one small but very neccesary part for the steering cable, alway's something

bryan65

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. a few notes.

1. I did not get pictures, but there is plenty of foan under the decking.

2. Each board is covered in 2 coats of epoxy. The carpet we have, but were going to mount the deck then install the carpet.. Bad Idea??

Have not even started on motor yet. Been 7 years since it ran, trying to fins someone that does engine work. Have a few waiting but on wait list. The steering cable is fine, However the throttle cables are shot. Need to re-order. My contact at west marine says not a fun thing to do, they usually get the wrong cable in. so not working forward to that. I am going to redo all the electrical. Only things I have not checked is nav lights, towing light and horn. Hope they work.

Rain here today, so going to work on metal parts trying to buff and clean.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

2. Each board is covered in 2 coats of epoxy. The carpet we have, but were going to mount the deck then install the carpet.. Bad Idea??

If you put the decking down and put the carpet over it you can't taking the decking back up without ruining your nice new carpet job.

You can wrap each of your 3 or 4 pieces individually and then fasten them down and remove them later if you need to make below deck repairs or modifications, then reinstall them and it'll look as good as when you started and you won't have to buy new carpet.

Glue the carpet down and then wrap the carpet around the back of each panel and staple it with stainless steel staples. This is the OEM method for all of the newer aluminum boats. You can take them apart and put them back together easily.

bryan65

Seaman

My wife and I like that Idea, We just wonder how you would screw the decking down to make it look decent. Any ideas and possible picks. I don't remember seeing anyone do this for picks.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My wife and I like that Idea, We just wonder how you would screw the decking down to make it look decent. Any ideas and possible picks. I don't remember seeing anyone do this for picks.

If you use screws they will actually bury up in the carpet knap/pile and you won't even see them, you'll have to dig around in the knap/pile to find them to remove them.

Rivets with the larger heads are a little more visible, but still not bad. Just keep your spacing uniform and everything in a straight line and it'll look like it was meant to be that way.

I used rivets on my vinyl deck job and they don't look too bad:
DSC02329.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

That is more a personal choice decision.

My opinion is that the decreased aesthetics are not worth the convenience.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That is more a personal choice decision.

My opinion is that the decreased aesthetics are not worth the convenience.

Said the one that steers the boat from the transom.:rolleyes:

Form over function only works with womens shoes (or so my wife tells me).

Like I said earlier, when you use screws through carpet the screws disappear and you have the best of both worlds.

Said the one that steers the boat from the transom.:rolleyes:

Form over function only works with womens shoes (or so my wife tells me).

Like I said earlier, when you use screws through carpet the screws disappear and you have the best of both worlds.

:D

Ya but you still have the seam at each section....

Again it's just my personal preference. For vinyl I would go each section covered....No doubt. For carpet, I prefer one solid smooth piece.

bryan65

Seaman

We are worried about seams and how they would look also. Which is why I wanted to see picks if anyone did it. I can see it for vinyl. Also was wondering, would not alot of water get through the seems if it is done this way, this would rot foam underneath would it not? Alot of questions..lol

I did find out the fishfinder which came with it works. it is an old eagle magna 2. FInally found a users manual and downloaded, will help with how to use it, but found no speed available for this one, only magna 2 plus. Which sux. Trying to keep cost down for more important things, so may have to do without speed indication for awhile and ask for a new fishfinder for Christmas..lol

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

We are worried about seams and how they would look also. Which is why I wanted to see picks if anyone did it. I can see it for vinyl. Also was wondering, would not alot of water get through the seems if it is done this way, this would rot foam underneath would it not? Alot of questions..lol

Your carpet will absorb and retain more water than what will drip down between 2 joints (seams).

Water in the bilge is perfectly normal, just as long as you get rid of it after every trip. Pull the bilge plug and raise the bow higher than the bilge drain with the trailer jack and you'll be fine.

Keep your boat covered on the trailer with the bilge drain plug out when not in use and it will last forever.

Carpeted butt joints (seams) don't look bad at all... but if you want to hide them you can "trim" them out with aluminum angle like I did on my boat:
DSC02249paint.jpg

Depending on your plywood decking thickness you can buy 1/2"x1/2" or 3/4"x3/4" angle at Home Depot to trim out the butt joints (seams).

I personally think the aluminum angle trim adds a "classy" finished look to the joints (seams).

bryan65

Seaman

Whatcha using for flotation?

Mostly the old foam which was not in bad shape. The foam which was I tossed and replaced with flat foam board from lowes, and a bunch of swim tubes from the dollar store like many other people did.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Mostly the old foam which was not in bad shape. The foam which was I tossed and replaced with flat foam board from lowes, and a bunch of swim tubes from the dollar store like many other people did.

Ok, 2 part expanding foam doesn't rot... it just gets waterlogged and doesn't dry out when constantly exposed to water over a long period.

You don't have to worry about the noodles or foam board, they're pretty waterproof... and if the old foam was dry it'll be good as long as you don't let your boat fill up with water and leave it. Keep the drain plug pulled out and the boat covered when not in use and you won't ever have to worry about your foam.

Contrary to what some believe, foam isn't like a sponge and doesn't suck up water as soon as it touches it. It takes a long time for the water to soak in.

Your carpet will also last a lot longer if you keep your boat covered too, and since your going to seal your plywood you don't have to worry about wet carpet rotting your decking either.

So, you don't have to worry about your foam and you don't have to worry about your plywood.