1981 18ft starcraft supersport

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to figure out what size rivet I need. I have 3/4" ply foe the floor. The wood is getting epoxy and marine vinyl. In this picture you will see different grip ranges. The rivet second for the bottom is .95 long and the bottom rivet is 1.2" long.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am also trying to figure out what size closed end rivet I need to place a few rivets in the hall. In this picture you will see what is available

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For the decking using 3/4" you need the 1" grip range 3/16" LF blinds which are the longest they have I do believe.

Wood .750 + AL .080 = .830 and of course what ever is on the wood sealing adds a bit to the thickness too

No steel mandrell rivets unless you seal the hole up on the mandrell end with 5200. So what are you riveting through the hull with closed blinds? Anything structural should be solids or if not possible SS machine screws and nylocks will work too, The bottom thickness is .080 AL as are the ribs and brackets/braces. The transom skin is .090. They're 3/16" dia as well.

Hope that helps you decisions, It never hurts to have a rivet a little bit longer rather than too short.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I have some leaking rivets. I plan on putting gluvit on all the rivets then take the boat down to the water to see if there are any more leaks.

dozerII

Admiral
I know I have some leaking rivets. I plan on putting gluvit on all the rivets then take the boat down to the water to see if there are any more leaks.

If you have leaking rivets, they should be re-bucked or replaced before you Gluvit, other wise they will begin to leak again shortly after you finish the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ leaking rivets are loose rivets, and loose rivets can move around in the thru holes. Don't expect GluvIt to be a fix for that....

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tonight I bought 100 closed end rivets and I have 5200 to go along with it.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
The vinyl for the floor came in the mail today and it really got me thinking about a couple different ways to put it down. One would be to wrap each piece of the floor separately, I know that this way would allow me to pop the floor up if I ever needed to. The second way would be to put the vinyl down in one piece and create a bath tub effect. Can you guys give me some input??? Thanks in advance!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes

Both ways have been done, done well and IMO both have merit

Do it the way YOU think would work great for you.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the boat down to the water and marked all the leaking rivets. Most of the leaks are in the areas where the previous owner put in screws.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tonight we made some good progress. We put one coat of epoxy on all the floor pieces.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
As far as which route to go with the vinyl, the only reason I did the vinyl in sections rather than one long run was because I have a belly fuel tank otherwise I would have opted for the one long run.

Once you get that decking in things are going to fly in the rebuild, a pivotal moment for sure. :encouragement: