1981 18ft starcraft supersport

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1981 18ft starcraft supersport

Lookin' good, TJ. :D She is throwing a nice wake, must be running good.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work, TJ. Interesting read.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! Had a blast last night on the boat, all the hard work paid off.
I'm thinking I want to buy a newer islander next spring.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another great trip on Lake Erie! First time trolling for walleye on this boat!

null_zps45e0849d.jpg

null_zpse13064dd.jpg

null_zps1b1e7ce0.jpg

null_zpsde2dae28.jpg

null_zps0e849882.jpg

null_zps6aed170e.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Great Pictures man! Looks like you did well out on this particular fishing trip!

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, going to get at it again. My Starcraft is due for. A new floor. So after this season a new floor is shall have. I am thinking of what kind of material I want to use. I would really like to use composite but still doing research. I know that most people would question the weight of it but I read a forum where a guy used it and list no speed at all. Would like some input if any of you have some. Thanks !! Happy boating

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not sure how you would seal between the composite boards so water doesnt get beneath the flooring and into the foam. Obviously weight is an issue as well. I am not sure of the cost compared to exterior grade or marine ply and resin vs the composite, but I know when I used composite of my front porch it cost me a fortune. I am not a boat expert by any means, but those are the few things that come to my mind. It would be kinda neat to have composite flooring if you can make it work.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking about using a tong and groove if I can find some composite decking like that. How important is it to keep the water off the foam?

jbcurt00

Staff member
NO to T&G composite decking, heavy, thick and no it won't keep water off of the foam. IMO, the foam getting wet repeatedly isn't the primary concern w/ using T&G decking, it's the weight and thickness that would concern me more.

If you are referring to space age composite plywood substitutes, or the honeycomb 'aluminum' composite sheets, they aren't T&G. They are lightwieght and not any thicker for a given purpose then typical ply, but they are quite pricey. Since they aren't T&G, I suspect you are referring to the stuff made for decks.

My suggestion is to use the best plywood you can afford, seal it well with the best sealer you can afford, use whatever flooring material you prefer, keep the boat bow high, with the plug out and the boat covered and maintained.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh yah, I agree. I wrote that back a while ago. I plan on using 3/4" ply with fiberglass. Also going with the restore deck and concrete paint for the flooring. It costs much less the the tuff coat.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
What would anyone recommend using to get the carpet glue of the aluminum? ??

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
for anyone that has replaced a floor in a starcraft supersport with 3/4" wood, what did you use to secure the floor to the boat and what size?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You can use stainless steel self tapping screws or aluminum rivets. If you use self tapping screws I suggest a 1-1/4" length and at least a #10 but a #12 would be better. If you use rivets, go with a 1" length and at least 3/16" diameter or 1/4" for a stronger build.

I suggest painting your decking with the deck restore before installing it in the boat. After the paint has set and cured install your decking in the boat. This will allow you to remove the decking easily in the future without ruining your nice paint job in case you have problems below deck with something.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info jig! I may be asking you more questions down the road. I understand now why I would paint before the floor goes in but I was originally thinking about using fiberglass mat tape on the seams and then painting so the floor looked more as one piece. Something to think about. Where would I get the rivets from?? Home Depot and Lowe's do not have them.