1979 Starcraft 16’ SS Refresh

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Luckily the trees block a lot of the winds, and my lean-to is blocked by the garage from the West winds. Actually is set up just right for it. We could get enough snow though to bury it in completely. So far so good - that last snow storm was a monster. Knocked out power/internet for 9 days, 5’ of snow, followed by below freezing weather for a week. Glad thats over but winter isnt so we will see whats next.

Planning on ordering the motor manual once Im back from hunting and fiddling with my carbs again. Dug out my hose from the snow so I can actually run water on the muffs or in a can. Motor running well again is still first priority. Then electronics, new tires, and the cherry on top - seating. Whatever the weather, if I have time she will be getting worked on. Be back soon!

Moserkr

Crazy believe its already been over a month since my last post here. Cant thank everyone enough for voting my little 16ss the SOTY vs some nicely done holidays.

Havent got anything done on the boat due to being sick and then having to catch up with with missed work. Admiral and I caught covid mid January, and the whole family is now just getting over the common cold. When your to-do list is long and you miss weeks of work in short amounts of time, fun time gets short!

Also was given a new project by a friend thats not a boat…. ‘96 honda xr400. Luckily the work it needs is a lot easier and cheaper than a boat! But my budget for fun is getting stretched thin lately and taking time off work being sick had not helped. Got lots to catch up on! Winter is still here, its been dry lately but supposed to get snow tomorrow. Glad the boat is sitting pretty under her cover. Been tagging along on some new guy’s builds and thats always fun, especially when I cant get any work done. Hoping that changes real soon…71DDB081-2865-4E46-B8BE-477D2B4CF8F5.jpeg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That looks like a great project! and you don't need a body of water to get wind in your hair with it!

Moserkr

Should be fun! The admiral’s family rides and have a lot of toys (boats, sxs’s, crawlers, snow mobiles, plane, bikes) so they are excited for me too. Of course, “free” always has a price! Biggest problem for me right now is time, but Im slowly catching up.

I really want to get the seats, electronics, and motor finished up on my boat before spring hits, so within the next 2 months. Given our decent weather, should be possible.

Actually pulled the old girl out from under the cover yesterday so I could unload a pickup bed for a trailer frame it goes to (another project down the line). Found out its a bit tighter than I planned, so may have to kick the posts out a little to make it easier. Other option is pull it in and out with my front receiver hitch so I can maneuver it better. Is what it is…. I live on the side of a mountain in the forest.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A month missing is nothing around here, most times guys just up and disappear for years, sometimes for good.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Stinger is there in the background. So at least its not buried in the back

SHSU

Moserkr

Stinger is there in the background. So at least its not buried in the back

SHSU
Oh no! The stinger was put in that spot deliberately when I rearranged my garage. Easy to roll out, set up a table, and have my tools right there for her up front and center.
Even got a TV with internet in the garage now too along with a heater. Admiral says Im moving in and is getting me a mini-beer fridge for my birthday 😂😂😂. I dont think shes joking and Id love it!! Got snow again so reminded me its still winter…. Good news for the lakes though! We need more water.
0C2B75DD-86A4-426D-A760-6908FD4301CB.jpeg

Moserkr

Anyone ever use watercraftmanuals.com? They have pdf’s of original service manuals for my motors for $20 each. I can easily print it and put it in a binder, or throw it up on the garage TV for reference too. But for that price I can order it now!! Was waiting cause the other place recommended here was $83+ shipping per printed manual, and it may or may not be just a copy anyway. I have plenty of paper and a new printer with tons of ink coming sunday.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone ever use watercraftmanuals.com? They have pdf’s of original service manuals for my motors for $20 each. I can easily print it and put it in a binder, or throw it up on the garage TV for reference too. But for that price I can order it now!! Was waiting cause the other place recommended here was $83+ shipping per printed manual, and it may or may not be just a copy anyway. I have plenty of paper and a new printer with tons of ink coming sunday.
Are these actual PDF factory manuals?
I paid dearly for a pair of shop manuals for my motors. If I get another I’d like to save a few bucks if I can but I only want the factory manual. Not Seloc or Haynes or whatever

EDIT; I just looked it up. Looks like they are factory manuals. PDF. Perfect on a tablet in the shop

SHSU

I’d take that risk

Would be interested if anyone takes the chance. Would like to get one for my engine. Not that I am planning to do anymore "Major" work on my engine. Would still like to read the tips/tricks I had to learn the hard way. lol

SHSU

Moserkr

I hope this is cool with you, but I painted it red.View attachment 356379
I think it looks better in red than green!!!

Would be interested if anyone takes the chance. Would like to get one for my engine. Not that I am planning to do anymore "Major" work on my engine. Would still like to read the tips/tricks I had to learn the hard way. lol

SHSU
And @ShoestringMariner I took the chance and spent the $20 to buy the manual. It worked!!! I now own the factory service manual to my 1983 motor. For $20 I may buy the one for my 1978 motor too, but they are so similar I may not need to. I should have done this when I bough the boat.

Tomorrow I will be working on the boat. Yesterday was the honey do list. Today is dirt bike. But planning ahead, Im stoked I got that manual. Can now do my motor(s) the justice they deserve!! If anyone ever wants a copy of this manual, Id be happy to share it. Service manual 393765, 1983.
E38FDD78-1607-44B0-A31D-9064F94BEBF7.png

Not sure why I didnt get notifications of the latest posts from you guys, but better late than never!

Moserkr

Oh yea, I should mention that the service manual is definitely a copy of an original, complete with aged yellowish hue pages and ring holes. But the copy is outstanding. Crisp, clear, and complete.

SHSU

Oh yea, I should mention that the service manual is definitely a copy of an original, complete with aged yellowish hue pages and ring holes. But the copy is outstanding. Crisp, clear, and complete.

Guessing since Evinrude/OMC closed down not much concern for copyright infringement by the seller. lol

SHSU

SHSU

Just got my manuals too!!! Thanks

SHSU

Moserkr

Yea I wouldnt worry about sharing them, especially if company's are selling photocopies anyway lol. I got a dirt bike manual for free off of a member of another forum. Worked out great.

Glad you got your manuals! Well worth being the guinea pig haha.

Moserkr

Good weekend so far! Got most of my current honey do list done, and tore down the dirt bike as much as I needed to so I can take its shocks and carb into a pro shop for rebuilding.

Which brings me to the boat…. Right now im on page 130/675 of the new motor manual, looking at carb cleaning and fuel delivery issues. Definitely need to revisit this area of the motor as I know I did some stuff wrong and the issues are pointing in this direction.

Last year on the last trip of the season, motor was acting up - surging, problems starting when warm. We limped back to the dock and it was a bummer. I was worried something really bad could have happened.

So first thing I did today was a compression check. I was a bit surprised because last year the check I did was much lower. My numbers were normal! Not sure why, but Ill take the new, higher numbers all day long.
Top: 135
Middle: 129
Bottom: 126

In reading the manual, I took to heart the opening few pages. “Proper tools make the job easier and make it done right”. Close enough to get the point. So now Im making a list of tools needed to properly rebuild the carbs, and check my fuel delivery system.

Id like to have the motor in top working condition within the next 2 months, so before June. Hopefully I can do some other work on her too - wiring, seats, other random accessories. Motor just has the top priority as it should.