1979 Starcraft 16’ SS Refresh

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Things are happening…. Been injured for a while but Im pushing through it. More details of the finishing touches to the project to come very soon.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
My monthly checkin lmao. Been pretty busy and its tough walking by the boat when I should be out using it!! But we brought on a new crew member a few days ago so I have no better excuse. Proud to introduce our little girl, Aubrey, our second mate. And now, back to sleep lol. Be back with some actual boat work soon I hope.

View attachment 362401
Late to get a cigar but congrats!!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
You redo the bearings or just the paint job?

SHSU

Moserkr

Checked the bearings, all good, just added grease. Cleared off a ton of old rust and painted it, also replacing rusty axle u-bolts and wheel bolts. Everything was nearly seized up from rust. Pulled the old wheels n tires off, replacing them and going up two sizes, new tires and spare. Was going to do a spring over axle swap to clear the new, bigger tires, but the axle is welded to the springs…. Next option is to upgrade the fenders as the old ones are too small for these tires anyway. Ill snap some more pics tomorrow. But will have to weld the new fenders on after they come in. I went up a tire size because I had 3 good “new” tires leftover from my travel trailer. So now boat trailer and travel trailer will share the same size tires, hopefully saving me money in the long run.

Planning on traveling further with the boat in the future and want the trailer in great shape, finally got her new shoes. Its an old road runner trailer and built like a tank. The big day is Friday though, which is why Im doing this work. Got the parts in to get her safely mobile, then Im taking it in for some motor work 😁

Today I need to finish the trailer work, minus the new fenders, install the new tires, and yank the old motor off. If I have time, flush the fuel tank or do it Friday. Then off she goes! I should have it back in a week or so.

Would have preferred to do the install myself but Im limited by personal time and a deadline for the extended warranty.

Theres a list of other things to do that I never got to before my second child was born. Now that she doesnt require constant attention, I will put some finishing touches on. Trim pieces, redo some wiring, finally add a bench seat to the back. I have all the materials, just have to make time. The lakes are full and mountains are greening up for spring so we should be ready just in time to enjoy it all summer long.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks shoestring! She is almost a year old now!! Scary thought. Tomorrow Im going to clear out the boat and she may get to play in it for the first time with her big brother.
I haven’t been here much, enjoy the time, it’s goes WAY TOO FAST. One of mine works for me now. Born just yesterday it seems

Moserkr

CE87528F-BF1B-40EF-9648-B4B96E91FB00.jpeg
New Ubolts

AE665965-C842-4EBB-A818-7FDF3E15AC6C.jpeg
Removed fenders. Will weld on new, bigger, better ones.

8C12666C-2604-4145-B41C-B45DF221C99B.jpeg
New tires/wheels/lug bolts

1E579283-9BA3-4086-AA6D-0DAC632D5855.jpeg
Last pic of the old motor on the boat.

Moserkr

168D1678-A08C-4E9F-A342-1185F796EAAD.jpeg
Dropped her off this morning. Shes in God’s hands (at bass-pro) now. Glad the mounting holes line up, hoping for zero issues and a smooth install.

New fenders just came in too, surprisingly fast at less than 24 hrs since I ordered them. Will have full tire coverage and an inner panel now to block debris from flying up onto the boat side. Will be much nicer. All I have to do is learn to use my welder haha. Luckily my FIL and friends are pros.

SHSU

So pretty!!!!!!

Add a safety chain with the winch strap. Just in case.

SHSU

Moserkr

Yes she is. Crazy how big the motor is compared to the last one. Really curious how she is going to handle it now, especially the transom. Will be watching that closely. Should hold up its “SuperSport” name haha.

Absolutely adding a safety chain. When I switched winch posts, the new one didnt have one…. I know better and even thought of it as I hooked up today.

Next few days are going to be spent getting vitals in order. New gas line needs to be run under the deck, clean up and double check wiring. Plan is to break in the motor solo soon, then take the family out for a lake day at the end of the month.

Other projects like the new fenders and other trailer welding can wait a little bit. End of May will be the goal to have the full checklist done.

Moserkr

Knocked a few things out today. Added a spare tire carrier for the spare. Installed new longer safety chains for towing. Redid the winch post position, greased the winch, new strap, safety chain. Position still isnt perfect but works. Pics of the new RPM gauge and controls. Cut the transom saver down to fit. Added a new fire extinguisher, last one was used on a car fire as we passed it coming home from the lake.

Just need to run the new fuel line under the deck, and rewire the bilge pump. That should get me on the water for the break in run. The other projects on the list will come soon.

Admiral and I decided to look at new stereo equipment too - the yellow (white) faded speakers and receivers just look ugly. Hopefully get that upgraded soon. Id rather get some fishing gear but need to keep the Admiral happy.

B6AAF334-83D8-4C67-9410-C6BB6E304FD9.jpegC66CBB78-1206-4654-ADCC-9B5CCDB47974.jpeg0C78A1F7-0D9B-46AD-B57B-D7CD366BB470.jpegFF29AFCF-E946-43CD-AAAA-302454A3A0C5.jpegDC9DFEA1-A066-4D88-A76F-F656D6DD3FA6.jpeg

Moserkr

Highs and lows…

First, the lows. Yesterday, while wiring my battery shutoff switch, I misinterpreted the little picture on the front of switch as “instructions”. A picture of a battery with a + and - . For some reason I thought it disconnected both the positive AND negative connections. Had I taken the switch apart, as I did afterwards, it would have been obvious it just disconnects the positive wire. Needless to say, wiring positive and negative wires together creates a heating coil, and then fire. I was just lucky to catch it before it hit my fuel lines, which have melted plastic on them now, but are still intact thank God. New fire extinguisher came in handy at least. Went from completely sober to now needing a beer.
895DC8F3-C2D8-46DD-8D78-ADC137B154B1.jpeg
A854E906-DCBA-4AEF-A079-E66F353B561C.jpeg791DD18D-19BB-4290-8695-DC98D2661658.jpegCF078807-FB6F-4BD4-A707-ACFADAF8FD64.jpeg

The plan was to go boating to break in the motor the next day. I had to rip out the wires I ruined, and rewire it straight to the battery. I also properly wired my bilge pump, rewired my stern nav light, and wired in a cigarette port for usb chargers. Added a battery charging cable back on that had to be rewired from being partially melted. Before all that, I ran my new gas line under the floors again which went surprisingly well. Cost me some beer tokens, pride, and extra time, but I was back on track.

Moserkr

The highs…

Got the boat filled up with the necessities for a trip to the lake. Topped off the gas tank. Double, triple checked everything. Only thing I forgot was my fishing license. A friend was kind enough to come with me to help break in the motor, on the condition we fish and have a few wobbly pops. Deal.

We get to the lake and it was the warmest its been since last year, around 70*. Prepped the boat for launch, and in she went. Still didnt know if I had damaged anything in the fire, but I knew the TNT worked, figured the rest would be fine too. We settle in and the moment of truth, fired up the motor. She came to life instantly with a quiet purr. Let her warm up for a few minutes, then cast the lines, and putted out of the no wake zone. After that we spent the next two hours breaking the motor in.

The break in went flawlessly and I was nothing less than impressed. The 75 Merc looks big on the boat, but she sat perfectly in the water with the extra weight. With the fuel tank forward, the balance was restored vs my last motor weighing 100 lbs less. It didnt seem to notice the little boat it was attached to and you could feel an instant response with the throttle. I have not messed with the TNT yet, but at WOT I hit 33.5 mph and 52-5300 RPM’s. Id say thats about perfect for the boat when its basically empty. The prop suggested to me is a 15p Black max 3 blade propeller. Very happy with how that prop worked.

The motor is just plain aggressive for the 16’ boat. It puts the sport in supersport. Baby got back. No regrets going with the 75. Looking forward to years of fun with family and friends in the future.

I will have to address the steering system I have one day though. If I let go of the wheel going above 2000 rpm, she takes an abrupt, hard turn to the right. Id assume thats from which way the propeller spins. Im guessing theres a hydraulic system that would be better.

A9330EE8-59C9-47BF-A346-9A988136A5C2.jpeg6B08AD75-B747-4657-B224-245C917D8470.jpeg8E72309F-8D84-4E43-A750-89FC22E5AC87.jpeg7640705B-B64B-4ED3-8E8D-15E05B2200D4.jpeg
90FFCA18-C030-415B-8AF1-1F2D250157E5.jpeg

SHSU

Man, that is a scary situation with the battery/wires there!!!!! Glad you caught that in time. Good test of the fire extinguisher.

As for the hard turn, is the trim tab canted? Might be set per factory to force the boat to turn at speed to prevent run away if operator gets thrown.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Glad you got the fire out! Yikes! 😳

And yeah, check the trim tab at the bottom of the motor for the hard right turn situation.

Congrats! (y)