1979 Starcraft 16’ SS Refresh

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Good luck tomorrow!!

Looking forward to your report

SHSU

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Thanks @SHSU We had luck, but not in a good way today lol. Started off great, launched and she fired right up. Put new spark plugs in her too this morning. Did a test lap around the cove while the Admiral parked the truck, and she ran perfect. Then after we picked her up, we cruised out of the launch finger and went around the bend to the other finger of the lake - ran great for around 3 minutes. Then the motor started REALLY acting up. So I slowed her down, then shut her down after a minute. Let her sit for about 20 min, took a mid lake dip cause it was hot, then tried again. Was not as easy to get started now, and her high idle would not rev the motor. In gear, she only made 5 mph. She was making 30 mph before she started acting up. When I tried giving her more gas, she bogged and died. Then we spent half an hour floating while she would not start. Remember how I said she always got us home??? Well she still did, but I had to switch the primer solenoid to manual, pump the primer, then fire her up, which still took a few. Once running we limped back to the launch at 5 mph. She did not sound great. We were lucky we didnt need a tow

So having major issues but Im done for the season. When I have time I will continue the trouble shooting, and get parts for the stinger. May as well be working on both lol. Will see what happens by next season. Was hoping to do winter fishing but we almost cant launch the water is now so low. I did see a big fish jump out of the water so that was cool.

Smoke was horrible today too, and more fires started within 50 miles of us. To top it off, we saw heavy smoke on the way home and stopped 3 cars behind a car that was just catching on fire. He was 15’ from vegetation. I put the hazards on and grabbed the fire extinguisher from the boat, ran up to the car, and joined another guy who was spraying it with his own. Both ran out and we bought maybe 30 seconds of time before it was on fire again. I ran back to the truck and got the family out of there before it got worse. As we left, flames had engulfed the whole front end of the car. Luckily about 30 seconds later a fire truck passed us on the way the the scene of the fire. Im hoping they got it out, and it looks like no one was injured. It was a brake fire cause the whole tire I was next to had already burned, but the engine had caught fire by the time I tried to help. It was just one of those days…

SHSU

Man that is a fun filled report. Glad ya'll got home safe. When I had that kind of issue I found I had an air leak in the intake manifold. I didn't torque the bolts down properly. Sounded great in the driveway and when I started it up, but once I tried to accelerate it would bog. Made only 5-6 mph as well. Hopefully you will figure it out or get the Stinger in shape to swap out.

SHSU

Moserkr

Haha yes, crazy day but we made it home. Of course, now theres a new fire just 10 miles south of us…. Will be keeping an eye on that one.

I did not take the intake manifold off, so i would think that shouldnt be an issue. Should I have removed it?? I need a manual bad…. I messed with the carbs and fuel lines mainly. The fact that she worked great momentarily (5 min), then had issues, leads me to believe its a fuel or spark issue. It actually felt like we were lacking fuel because it would occasionally surge when it got more. Also makes sense for when we are at WOT and hit a wake - it falters from a lack of power, so guessing fuel.

Right now, plans for the UD motor are as follows: Clean carbs really good again first. I did not clean the jets well and now that ive read more, that was a mistake. Then check spark and compression.

Meanwhile, Im picking up manuals and a new cylinder head. Need to swap a new one onto the current motor, and get that broken screw out of the stingers head. Then I can start rebuilding both and retest everything. Unfortunately none of this will happen fast. Time/money is always stretched thin during hunting season.

Hope you had a better boating season than me!! I know its a learning curve so it is what it is. Next year will be better for us here.

SHSU

Ya, sounds like fuel from your description. Did you try pumping your primer bulb when you were getting limited power? Could have a bad fuel pump. Also you are pulling fuel a long so if you have a portable tank, might want to try that to see if the distance is the issue.

SHSU

Moserkr

I will try the different fuel tank to see if that makes a difference. Could need a new fuel pump or a booster. The admiral did try pumping the bulb when she was having issues and it did not change anything. Not sure how well she was pumping it though.

So unfortunately the boat is currently sitting in the path of the caldor fire at my house in pollock pines…. Should know in the next 48 hrs whether or not theres anything left to go back to. We had to evacuate yesterday. Ill keep you posted on what happens. Hoping for the best…

SHSU

Prayers to you and your family. Stuff can be replaced, lives and memories can't.

Stay safe

SHSU

Moserkr

Thanks for the prayers @SHSU We dodged the bullet, and after 16 days got to return home. Been swamped playing catchup on work, chores, and going on hunting trips. Boat has just been sitting idle…. Lakes are so low and forest is closed anyway. I was able to go out fishing at a local lake within city limits with my son though. Caught him his first fish finally!!

Plans for the boat havent changed. I do need to figure out storage for the winter though…. We can get a lot of snow here.

I did look at re-powering with a new 60hp merc but cant swallow that pill yet, especially since theres no where to go anyway right now, nor do I have time to do anything else. Will see if I can salvage my current motors and go from there when I have time. Still have 3 months of hunting available so I wont be updating at all, but Im still around tagging along, living vicariously through others work lol. Hope y’all have been doing well!! Cheers!

Attachments

• EC6D95CD-A474-4FE5-9C5E-063A89A44284.jpeg
    EC6D95CD-A474-4FE5-9C5E-063A89A44284.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Moserkr

@racerone You’ve already commented on the thread where Im working on their issues. Thanks though. When I get to them again, more tests will be done and posted.

Moserkr

Im back!!!

Well…. Its been an interesting year. Ive been MIA due to hunting season, which has gone well so far. I didnt get a big buck, or an elk, but I passed on some young deer, caught some nice fish (from shore lol), and helped some young men get their first deer. The forest fires and drought screwed me out of boating most the year anyway, so not a total loss.

Recently, we got a massive rainstorm that tested my boat cover - it got a B+ lol. The bow are wasnt pitched enough and my cheap cover tore. Oh well, has a regular tarp over the bow for now. I was planning on addressing my storage problems anyway since we get a ton of snow out here and my boats cover was only rain rated. Assuming I can get the motor(s) running well, Id also like to be able to boat/fish through the winter months when the fair weather folk dont come out.

I looked into different storage options, including metal carports, but I wasnt about to pay $3-4000 for something that could withstand the snow at my elevation. The $1400 option at the orange store was junk.

Settled on a DIY lean-to coming off the garage instead! That is what I am literally working on right now. My truck wont fit under it, even with a 1/12 slope, so I will have to winch the boat/trailer back under it when Im done building. No worries haha. But, without doing too much math, Ive engineered it to be pretty stout.

5x 4x4” posts on cement blocks on the far end.
11x 2x6”x12’ rafters, spaced 2’ apart, that will be connected together with 2x4” reinforcements. They tie into the 4x4” post’s beam with hurricane hangers.
Header board is a 20’ total length 2x6” board with hangers, lag bolted and screwed into the garage structure.
Top all that off with 12’x2’ metal corrugated roof pieces that should shed snow quickly, especially if I help it.
Total size is 12’x20’, with 10’x20’ useable for boat storage, and its 6’6” tall on the lowest point (front).

Total cost was about $800, not including paint. Will paint to match the garage/house. Neighbors are cool but not approved by HOA (they wont check unless a neighbor complains). Building unpermitted too lol. What the gov dont know…. Well, is how to do anything right so $&@: em. My neighbor is the sheriff in town and we are on good terms - I like being and having good neighbors.

So there ya have it. Cleaning out my garage and organizing it once this lean-to is built. Then I can work in peace, dry and warm, during the winter on the boat. If I cant get those motors fixed up right, god willing, then I have a contingency plan for a brand new one….

Until next time, cheers!! I will try not to be a stranger again now that hunting season is basically done. Waiting for snow to go after my bear…

35475550-6E44-4FFC-A37B-2F59384E1134.jpeg

Attachments

• FEBDC3EE-265A-459C-AE83-3205C96D9920.jpeg
    FEBDC3EE-265A-459C-AE83-3205C96D9920.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • FFAF26C9-5661-4B0B-9221-8F7DF47BBC75.jpeg
    FFAF26C9-5661-4B0B-9221-8F7DF47BBC75.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 8
  • 69B0595F-2D19-4F75-B011-DD16621880F8.jpeg
    69B0595F-2D19-4F75-B011-DD16621880F8.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 8

SHSU

Took me a second to figure out why you would need to winch it back under. You got a riding lawn mower or a tractor?

SHSU

Moserkr

Haha no such toys. But the in-laws have that stuff. Just as easy to throw a chain on it and winch it back under - truck has a 9k warn on it. Need to borrow a paint sprayer and find the right color paint tomorrow. Frame is 75% done and the rest will go up quick now. Should have its roof on soon, then onto the next project!!

I still have pages in my browser set to motor parts and manuals and Im getting an itch to pull the trigger on those. Somehow I actually managed to save a little money during hunting season hahaha thats a first. But the boat fund needs a boost so may have to get started soon.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That's going to be a sweet parking spot for the SS! I grabbed an old 8hp wheelhorse for $150 bucks for pulling my SS around the property ...which is $150 more than your winch; that's a great idea!

Glad you're on good terms with the neighbors esp in your HOA. I'm in a similar situation; we have a loose HOA for common area insurance reasons however there are still deed restrictions which open me up for more subjective scrutiny if I ticked off the wrong person.

Moserkr

Yes it will! I cant wait. Part of the project will be to widen my driveway too, and put in a low, rock retaining wall to manage debris from the hillside. Then add a little more gravel too. I wish the truck would fit under the lean-to but its just barely too short on that one side. We shall see, maybe I can squeeze it in right up against the garage wall, and even move a few inches of gravel for the tire on the low side - its that close! Moving the boat wont be hard though with a winch, ive done plenty of off road recoveries before.

With my steep driveway and tight angles, it will be more challenging to park the boat now. I wont have much room for error backing in. Once in the lean-to, the trailer will have 1.5’ on each side, and an additional 2’ of cover overhanging the posts. I may get a dusting of snow on the trailer hitch and motor, but I will take that all day vs shoveling that area again! Not sure on my head clearance yet while standing inside the boat but will find out that soon enough lol.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Im back!!!

Well…. Its been an interesting year. Ive been MIA due to hunting season, which has gone well so far. I didnt get a big buck, or an elk, but I passed on some young deer, caught some nice fish (from shore lol), and helped some young men get their first deer. The forest fires and drought screwed me out of boating most the year anyway, so not a total loss.

Recently, we got a massive rainstorm that tested my boat cover - it got a B+ lol. The bow are wasnt pitched enough and my cheap cover tore. Oh well, has a regular tarp over the bow for now. I was planning on addressing my storage problems anyway since we get a ton of snow out here and my boats cover was only rain rated. Assuming I can get the motor(s) running well, Id also like to be able to boat/fish through the winter months when the fair weather folk dont come out.

I looked into different storage options, including metal carports, but I wasnt about to pay $3-4000 for something that could withstand the snow at my elevation. The $1400 option at the orange store was junk.

Settled on a DIY lean-to coming off the garage instead! That is what I am literally working on right now. My truck wont fit under it, even with a 1/12 slope, so I will have to winch the boat/trailer back under it when Im done building. No worries haha. But, without doing too much math, Ive engineered it to be pretty stout.

5x 4x4” posts on cement blocks on the far end.
11x 2x6”x12’ rafters, spaced 2’ apart, that will be connected together with 2x4” reinforcements. They tie into the 4x4” post’s beam with hurricane hangers.
Header board is a 20’ total length 2x6” board with hangers, lag bolted and screwed into the garage structure.
Top all that off with 12’x2’ metal corrugated roof pieces that should shed snow quickly, especially if I help it.
Total size is 12’x20’, with 10’x20’ useable for boat storage, and its 6’6” tall on the lowest point (front).

Total cost was about $800, not including paint. Will paint to match the garage/house. Neighbors are cool but not approved by HOA (they wont check unless a neighbor complains). Building unpermitted too lol. What the gov dont know…. Well, is how to do anything right so $&@: em. My neighbor is the sheriff in town and we are on good terms - I like being and having good neighbors.

So there ya have it. Cleaning out my garage and organizing it once this lean-to is built. Then I can work in peace, dry and warm, during the winter on the boat. If I cant get those motors fixed up right, god willing, then I have a contingency plan for a brand new one….

Until next time, cheers!! I will try not to be a stranger again now that hunting season is basically done. Waiting for snow to go after my bear…

View attachment 352739
That’s going to be a nice addition. Looking forward to seeing finish pics

Moserkr

Measured for the truck again…. It **may** just barely fit. Either way, main structure is up! Just need to reinforce before prime/paint. Then roof it and paint that too - a plain metal roof wont blend in well. You can see my steep driveway and sharp turn in the background.

Attachments

• 3AF80B38-180C-4B7A-9998-C51B3368D3C4.jpeg
    3AF80B38-180C-4B7A-9998-C51B3368D3C4.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 10

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Measured for the truck again…. It **may** just barely fit. Either way, main structure is up! Just need to reinforce before prime/paint. Then roof it and paint that too - a plain metal roof wont blend in well. You can see my steep driveway and sharp turn in the background.
Lookin' good! you may have to air-down your passenger-side tires a bit before you back in. :ROFLMAO:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Agreed with an earlier poster, a lawn tractor would make jockeying the boat in and out of the lean to a snap.