1979 Bomber Commander I/O Fish/Ski restore

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1979 Bomber Commander I/O Fish/Ski restore

Tojos the rain has been unbearable here lately :D. Good to see you still getting something done. I am going to suggest Rustoleum Sunrise red for yourtopside as its a nice bright red feel free to look at my Thread for a look at the color or PM me a phone number and I'll give ya address for the next time your out at mom and dads in the area so you can see it in person :D.

Rick

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure is a nice lookin' boat-------and what a deal!!!

Congrats!!!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Rick, your right on the money with the bright red, I was leaning toward Interlux Brightside in "Fire Red". I just wanted to get a sample to see if it was similar to the bright fire engine red that it looks like on my monitor. I was originally thinking about using a two part paint like Perfection but that red looks darker then I wanted. I will PM you later and may stop by sometime to check out your boat.

Boy was I happy today when that sun poked out, but now as I sit here there is a T-storm with heavy rain pounding us again...:(

Thanks justchange, I bought the Commander just because I loved its look. I think its that long bow area with the set back of the consoles and swept back short windshield. If you stand back and look at it I think it has that offshore racing look.

With the Bight red paint and tinted (tint at 65 in the front and 35 on the sides) windshield its gonna look slick. Its funny how low that windshield is, my head is completely above that thing its just there for a little deflection and not any true wind blocking.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow Mike that's the baddest ***** bassin boat Ive seen...I LIKE IT!
...but sheez you killed em with the $500 dollar buy..the ol farmer still bullshi%%ed a bit about the floor lol no one is honest anymore...shame

....Trolling motor, 6 banger....metallic gel....cool rear seating like a reg boat but crossbred with a bass boat....lots of gauges and fittings, windscreens...seat bases.... EASILY worth 500 bux NICE SCORE

yeah the eng box was an eyesore...if you can find some pics of an original one ...go from there

are you going to add metalflake to the new red top 1/2??????
http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakestore.htm

Im suscribing to see how you progress...keep up the good work...she'll be a star of the lake soon enough

ps the new name for the boat is very cool!

pss check out this video to see what poli-glow did for restoring our gel coat ....easier than buffing....but if you buff plus add this stuff AND wax...you should have a super shiny boat for years

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow thanks Vegas, I think it will turn out looking pretty sharp myself. Maybe I should have called her "Cross Breed"... My 15 year old daughter helped me on the "Mist" instead of "Miss" in the name ;).

That flake looks like a cool product but I'll have to think about getting up the nerve to try it. I have to say that poli-glow did an outstanding job on JEZABEL.:cool:

I'm following both of your projects but have a great fondness for Jezabel, shes my fave...one sexy lady. :D

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did get a little done to the trailer today as it finally stopped raining. I got the wheels and tires back on it and did a little priming with some black rustoleum "Rust Reformer". I want to get it sanded and primed before the cold weather sets in.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is gonna be a sharp boat when back on the water! I too like the long bow look. Kinda reminds me of a classic Jag. Keep up the good work!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a cool comparison I like that, in fact I saw on of those old long hood jags last night on a car stand in front of a BMW dealer (jaw dropped, and drool followed, lol)... Thanks Green...:cool:

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was talking to a friend at work that has his own boat repair shop about sealing up my upper and lower drive, and installing a new gimbal bearing, 2 bellows and an exhaust tube, impeller (just in case the PO did not install a new one as noted), as well as all the new seals, synthetic oil, and a possible u joint replacement. So he shot me a work buddy price of $250 labor plus an estimated $225-250 in parts without the u joints, and another $38 a piece for the joints if needed, and I could not pass it up, as I could not do it myself without investing at least $150 in an alignment and bearing puller tool and possibly a hinge pin tool if they are really tight or rusted...

To me that will be $500 well spent to have an a guy with 30+ years of experience turn the wrenches on my drive, we will be using Sierra parts as the Merc parts are just too high for me to justify on a boat of this age and the overall budget of the project...

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To me it sounds like money well spent!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Tojo

glad to read that you're making headway...keep up the postings!!:D

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah the eng box was an eyesore...if you can find some pics of an original one ...go from there

Heres the only pic I can find, its a 1988 and has very similar lines...

bomber22.jpg

I may take my rear deck and engine cover this route by building the engine cover the height it has to be then make the storage lids on both sides and have the upholsterer put thick pads on them to bring them up a little higher then the engine cover. I would have the cover padded with some thin padding so it does not get too much higher, after that have it covered so all three pieces are the same height so that it can be used as a sundeck for the wife and my daughters. The engine cover will be fiberglassed and braced with aluminum square tube or channel so you can stand or walk on it...

If it looks like it will be too high I will nix the sundeck idea and just do the storage lids about 1/2 to 3/4 the height of the engine cover...

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great looking boat ToJo, even with the flooring I hope you kissed the farmer because you stole that thing.

And how do you subscribe to a thread?

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great looking boat ToJo, even with the flooring I hope you kissed the farmer because you stole that thing.

And how do you subscribe to a thread?

Thanks for the compliment, and to subscribe to a thread look up at the top of the page and click Thread Tools, its under to the search bar...;)

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well working around the house shot a perfectly good day to work on the boat... I got my US Composites order figured out today and will be placing my order Friday.

I am going to try and beat the rain tomorrow and work on my trailer some more by sanding and a rattle-can priming to get it through the winter without accumulating additional rust to have to deal with in the spring.

I also plan on taking off the outdrive and putting it in the garage for the winter... plan to remove the gimbal bearing also. I'll post some pics if anything interesting happens.;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Mike hate to be the bearer of bad news but primer wont stop rust from forming . I would just grab either some rattle cans or quarts of rustoleum and give it a quick cote of paint primer itself will actually hold moisture.

Rick

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

got any new pics to post? would love to see em!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I was talking to a friend at work that has his own boat repair shop about sealing up my upper and lower drive, and installing a new gimbal bearing, 2 bellows and an exhaust tube, impeller (just in case the PO did not install a new one as noted), as well as all the new seals, synthetic oil, and a possible u joint replacement. So he shot me a work buddy price of $250 labor plus an estimated $225-250 in parts without the u joints, and another $38 a piece for the joints if needed, and I could not pass it up, as I could not do it myself without investing at least $150 in an alignment and bearing puller tool and possibly a hinge pin tool if they are really tight or rusted...

To me that will be $500 well spent to have an a guy with 30+ years of experience turn the wrenches on my drive, we will be using Sierra parts as the Merc parts are just too high for me to justify on a boat of this age and the overall budget of the project...

Mike, Good call let him fix it! Glad to hear your getting some work done on your sweet bassing boat!!

hope its ready for the spring......what a great boat to work on....ROCK ON!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow what a long cold winter...glad that its over, back to work on the Commander soon.:)