1979 Bomber Commander I/O Fish/Ski restore

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum but have been following several of the the restoration projects on here for awhile, and that was the inspiration for this new project I bought last night for $500. I have always been a new boat kind of guy and up till this one all 6 of my previous boats had been purchased new, the last one being a 1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator bass boat...

Unfortunately I decided to sell my baby 2 years ago due to the effects of coronary artery disease, but after having open heart surgery this year (yep 41 and already a Quad Bypass, dang cholesterol) I am now feeling 100% better but I truly am heartbroken because I miss fishing and boating so much that I had to do something about it.

I should kick myself for selling that totally wood free all composite/fiberglass boat with aircraft aluminum hatch lids... Not a single thing on that boat to rot! Hull only weighed 1100pds. and it ran 72 on the GPS... Oh well live and learn...

So here is my problem and solution:

Problem: just bought oldest daughter her own car and paid her first years tuition and book fees for college, which she starts in two weeks. (problem = broke for awhile, lol)

Solution: Find a boat that has great potential and a nice layout for fishing and a little tubing for my daughters also must have a good running engine and lower unit. (solution = 1979 Bomber Commander with an original rebuilt Mercury MCM 165 that looks and runs like its less than a few years old.)

I bought this boat last night after watching it on Craigs list drop in price for over a month it went from $2500, 1500, 1200 and finally down to $800 to free up their carport. Apparently the pics of the inside scared the potential buyers in there area before they even decided to look at the boat in person. I'll tell you I got this boat from a farmer in the back woods of eastern KY, it was a solid 3 hour trip each way from Louisville into the mountains, but I was determined to have this boat after seeing a couple of Commanders that looked awesome. Not to mention that the engine alone could bring over $1500+, and did I mention I have the Bombers clean title in my hand.

As I have said I have not done this before but I am an Autoworker that has been trained to do factory body repairs and painting (metal is different beast but some basic concepts should apply), and I also had a small business building cabinets on the side (so wood work is no problem). I was a commercial spray painter that worked with all sorts of epoxies and zincs before my job at Ford Motor Co. Also my Diy skills and experience with home remodeling and additions should come in handy for this project. With all that background said I guess its time for the photos...

first pics are what was listed in the boats ad...
Check out the engine cover (yuk!)...
bomberfirstpics.jpg

l_9728163c99ad44cbab53e43fc3de11e2.jpg

Heres pics I took today...

DSC01718-2.jpg

DSC01733.jpg
DSC01721.jpg

Gotta love that name "Executioner"...NOT!!!
DSC01727.jpg

I'll post more picks of the not so nice stuff a little later like the floor/deck job that's sitting on new wood stringers but he covered the new exterior grade plywood with non epoxied luan and just a water sealing prime on the top surface only to make it smoother for carpet, this all has to come up so I can see his stringer work and see if there is enough flotation (or any at all, I'd say there is very little). He also shot cheap galvanized deck screws to hold it down so I guarantee I'm not going to be happy with his stringer work... All I can say is at least most of the old rotton wood is out and it should be alot cleaner to work with.

About the engine, I gotta say this engine starts at the first turn of the key and runs so smooth, the lower unit shifts very smooth into forward and when put into reverse, very smooth. This farmer knows his stuff when it comes to engines and drive systems, as he explained every little detail about how he went though the engine and lower unit what was replaced and so on. He also rewired all the trailer, all the switches, the lights and horn in the boat and everything works, amazing for a 30 year old boat that's been neglected for years.

Heres my updated resto plan and list of items to purchase (will edit as I go)

Updated Boat Restore Plan list:

1: Stringers: Are in great shape from bow to stern, they are not going to be replaced.

2:Floor/deck will be 1/2" exterior grade ply glassed of course. And I am a carpet kind of guy as I also prefer the sound deadening qualities when fishing, will have high grade marine carpet on floor, deck, on top all the storage lockers.

Also going to re-run the wiring and install heavy 6 gauge wires for the 24 volt trolling system.

3: Interior: going with 2 bucket seat for comfort and a smaller fold down in the middle of them, the 2 front storage lockers will have custom vinyl wrapped around thick foam and will snap in and out as needed. The back deck will have very thick cushions made to the height of the engine cover. Color scheme will be Tan carpet and seats like these shown here but looking for some with a red stripe in them:

Custom Cushions will also be made to mirror the seats I purchase.

Used a wire wheel on my variable speed grinder and cleaned the steering wheel right up, now I will clear coat it. I'm going to replace the dash panels, the fuel and trim gauges, maybe even change them all if I can do it at a reasonable cost. Going to clean up the rest of the chrome to see how it looks and replace the trolling motor with a foot control and a removable mount to be able to store it when I'm out just cruising and tubing.

4: Finish: Going to try and buff back the original sides/transom gelcoat, then have some quality vinyl decals made for the sides and the name in the back, Going to make a set of "Commander" decals. Also in the works will be a set of gold flake "waving" checkerboard decals to run down the sides about 5' long 12'' high.

More details as I go...

Keywords: Bomber Commander 180, Bomber Boat, Bomber, Commander, Mercruiser 165, Mercruiser MR drive, MCM 165

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1979 Bomber Commander restore project

wow nice rig never seen a fishing boat with an inboard outboard type deal

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heres some more pics...

DSC01739.jpg
DSC01736.jpg
DSC01734.jpg
DSC01728.jpg
DSC01722.jpg
DSC01742.jpg

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And a few more pics till I start working on the boats finish, as I'm going to float her a few times before I redo the floor... I'm open to suggestions on the best way to remove most of the oxidation from the gel coat, first angle of attack for me will be to cut and polish with the buffer and some 3m compounds. You can see the original color of the cap under the registration decals, and the oxidation layer feels to be about 1/64 of an inch thick when you run your finger across where the decal was and the oxidation layer. I feel this is a good thing as if the layers around where the decals were much lower, then the gelcoat might have been too deteriorated to save. but I have been wrong before so we will see...

Heres what I beleive to be the paint scheme:
Cap above red pinstripe and into the interior = Gold
Under the caps red pinstripe is Red/Gold Flake
Sides are Red/Gold Flake
Bottom is Gold

The cap is so oxidized you can not make out the color difference between the solid Gold and the Red/Gold in the pictures.

This is what im talking about under the decals... (I distorted the registration numbers)
decalarea.jpg

the steering and shift cables are newesh and smooth as silk
DSC01751.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

new cap, plugs and plug wires
DSC01765.jpg
DSC01747-1.jpg
DSC01719.jpg

Keywords: Bomber Commander 180, Bomber Boat, Bomber, Commander, Mercruiser 165, Mercruiser MR drive, MCM 165

Last edited:

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like it! That's a cool rig you got there... Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good Luck on your resto:D

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks "tlove", I am very pleased with the boat, I will tell you that after seeing thousands of bass and fish & ski boats over the years, that the style of this boat really had me saying "I don't know what it is, but I've got to have this thing!!!". I now have the classic boat bug, and can see the true value of bringing an old neglected boat back to life verses just buying something new. I know one thing at the very least I'll have a boat that does not just blend into the sea newer production boats on the lake...:cool:

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow nice rig never seen a fishing boat with an inboard outboard type deal

Thanks, I have only seen a few older I/O fish and ski boats set up, and laid out like this one, they are very unique. This is a perfect set up for me as I fish alone 95% of the time and when I take out the family for tubing they are going to have a real nice rear deck with real thick cushions on each side of the engine cover, and also up on the bow behind the casting deck. Hope I can make her into a beauty, she is a red/gold flake underneath that oxidation with a gold bottom.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man I'm ready to start some work on this thing but I have to get my garage cleaned out and ready for the boat, since I have just used the garage for storage lately its pretty full. I do plan on doing a cut and polish tomorrow with my buffer and some compound I have on hand, providing it is not raining tomorrow.

I might look like I'm working backwards by doing some polishing of the finish first, but I want to see what I have to work with here. I know the prop is way off the mark for this boat as the guy told me he had hit 5500 rpms on this boat, and had to back it down to be safe. I do not know if the tach was correct but that would be 1200 over the rev limit on the engine specs(specs, 3900-4300rpm). Not to mention the prop looks like crap (its in rough shape) so I do not want to put much of a load on the engine until I get a new prop thats the right size, just looking at the prop tells me its gonna vibrate pretty bad.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get some results from my buffing efforts.:cool:

Last edited:

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Bomber Commander Fish/Ski restore project

Re: 1979 Bomber Commander Fish/Ski restore project

Well the buffing worked great on the sides but the cap had no finish left on it, and when the oxidation came off the top nothing was left but metal flake underneath, looked like glitter coming off on the rag.:( Since the finish is stained and inconsistent I will have to repaint the cap. One thing I am not liking is the fact I have to remove the cap before I can take of any of the cleats, rails etc. as they all have screws and nuts verses just being screwed into reinforced fiberglass areas like on the newer boats I owned.

Well guess I'll be starting on removing the cap and the floor soon. I'll post picks of the removal, but due to space restrictions in my garage the cap will have to be propped up off the hull verses me being able to take it completely off the boat and set it aside. (Gonna be fun working within that limited space, but i'm going to get it as high up as I can safely support it.)

Last edited:

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Bomber Commander I/O Fish/Ski restore

I like that boat!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, here are some photos of the test buff and how the steering wheel cleaned up, going to clear coat it when I'm done and set it aside...

Steering wheel first step of clean up with wire wheel and variable speed grinder (that's a reflection of my hand not remaining rust on the far spoke)...
ce5b70fb.jpg
4fe108a6.jpg

340ce845.jpg

Look at the reflection now, that is with just one buff pass of compound no polish applied yet, (look at how dull it is up from the shiny area) shes going to look nice...
9cd6f466.jpg

Now that I know what I have as far as the finish, I am going on to the floor. I also spent 2 hours removing all the pin-striping and decals. I'm getting ready to remove the cap so all the fun can start...:p

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH I yanked up the floor today, and all I can say is what a load of crap under there. (most of the pics didn't turn out because it was a little dark outside and they are too fuzzy) Of course I was told it had new wood and a new floor, but I was not told the new wood was scrap and placed on top of the rotten wood.:mad: Here are a couple pics that turned out, look at this load of junk for a floor support system...

17e1c07f.jpg

Creative PO work here for the deck/floor supports...
950e52c9.jpg

91190b59.jpg

This was my new floor, unprotected plywood right down the center of the boat only...
36c0779c.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

You have to love the "quick" fixes some folks do. Keep plugging along it looks like you are making steady progress and it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers,
Kyle

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, I am dreading taking the cap off because of the weight, since about everything is molded into the cap, the front and rear decks, dual consoles, storage boxes and the bench/seat mount. And on this boat you can hardly do anything without removing it first...

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pics with all the hardware removed from the cap and a thorough sanding, also the rub rail is removed... The grab rails will not be going back on for a more modern look , will be using grab handles inside the boat instead. At this point all the rotten wood in the floor has been gutted, all the stringer, motor mounts and transom samples came back as solid wood as there where very few holes that where put into the stringer system and the few that where are still sealed properly.

The transom had several obsolete holes in it for brackets etc. but had sealed screws inserted when items where removed. The foam is in great shape, and the bad floor area only had about a 1/8'' depth of wetness that dried completely in a day of being uncovered. Fortunately on a 2' by 2' area was rotten in the deck boards and the rest had no water intrusion at all a small crack in the fiberglass seems to have been the culprit. You can tell that water has not been allowed to sit inside the boat for any length of time.

CopyofDSC01908.jpg

CopyofDSC01934.jpg

I'm pretty sure the topside paint for the cap will be red or burgandy as the side and transom paint has bright red and gold metal flake in it and the color will go well with the deep burgundy sides/transom and gold bottom paint. I am not painting the sides and bottom as the gel coat is in great shape.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the holes have been filled and sanded and I'm loving the clean look of the top without the rails and old trolling motor mounted. The new trolling motor is getting a removable mount that only leaves a small "puck" behind when motor is removed...

commander180.jpg

As soon as I get the floor done I'm going to remount and prime the cap. And the trailer is getting a black Rustoleum paint job and a new set trailer tires as it has an undersized set of automotive radial tires on it now. I plan on replacing the bunks next spring when I take it to my inlaws place on the lake.

tallcanadian

Captain

Good work so far. Great looking boat. Keep the pics coming.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll tell ya Poly resin sure does set up alot faster than epoxy, I forgot how much faster the curing time was. I wasted half of my first batch even though I thought I mixed just enough to get it all spread out...:p

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its been raining for a week solid and no real signs of letting up here, so I am at a standstill for now as this sanding and grinding work must be done outdoors...

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just had these mounted to replace the undersized automotive radial tires that where on the rig, now I feel I can safely tow the trailer.

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01992.jpg