1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Gotta feel good seeing a big chunk of stuff like that sitting in there:)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, the center window gap is WAY better than it was when I took it apart. I need to slot the screws where the console bolts to the gunnel so I can raise that side about 1/4", then it should be perfect.

sprintst

Commander

I'm checking out the angles of your dash. I'm looking at bending up some alum to kind of match yours if I can.

64osby

Admiral

dj, how goes the battle? Are you making any progress?

We had the Mariner out over the weekend and my wife was asking about a rear bench. I know you were working on one that would slide out and the back would lay down, don't know if you ever completed yours. If you did could you post some pics?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

dj, how goes the battle? Are you making any progress?

We had the Mariner out over the weekend and my wife was asking about a rear bench. I know you were working on one that would slide out and the back would lay down, don't know if you ever completed yours. If you did could you post some pics?

Hi,

I have been working on a boat, unfortunately not mine. My inlaws have a 17' FourWinns that ran perfect all last year. I went to take it out last week and it wouldn't start. I put a new starter on it for them and went to try again. Fired right up and started making an awful squealing sound which I think was the raw water pump (Its a 3.0 OMC/Volvo I/O. So it's waiting for an appointment on Wednesday to get that checked out.

As far as mine, I'm getting caught up on the around the house stuff so I should be getting back to it soon. As for the rear bench, I'm still trying to engineer something in my head. I'm leaning toward it NOT sliding out and laying down, unless a great idea pops into my head soon. Instead I think I'll make a filler for the center of the open bow area to make a large pad. My front is big enough that even I could lay down flat and my wife is only 5' so I think that will be the easier/quicker route to take.

Thanks for checking up on me.

64osby

Admiral

Hope the FourWinds get fixed up quick, let you get back to yours.

I played around tonight and came up with a prototype rear bench frame.

Rear Bench Bracket.jpg

Need to come up with a quick disconnect for it.

Not trying to Hijack, just ideas.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I worked on my boat almost all day today, spent most of it fine tuning the windshield. One of the side supports was bent pretty good but I managed to get I back to where it's almost not noticeable. The center section is lines up perfect now.
I also started cleaning some trim.

6a4ca4c0.jpg

It's cleaning up nice with some softscrub and green scotch brite. Can anyone tell me if that combo is taking off some anodizing? I'm still thinking that the trim is going to get painted gunnel color like the newer Starcrafts.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

As long as you are just going easy on the scotch brite pad I'm sure the anodizing is staying in place. To get it off you really need to go big. I used a belt sander on my trim to get it off.

Uh, hmmm. You mentioned the windshield, but, uh, I sure can't see if from way over here in buddy?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Uh, hmmm. You mentioned the windshield, but, uh, I sure can't see if from way over here in buddy?

Check out that alignment!

66f58578.jpg

The starboard console, windshield, and inner trim are all fully installed.

0e354bee.jpg

That was kind of a pain, took about 3 tries installing and removing the windshield as the side window screws had to be drilled because of new metal and I slotted the console to gunnel mounts so after carpet and paint I have enough adjustment to get it all back where it needs to be. EZ said once how much of a pain he had with his.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks good! Ok, what's next on the list?

Is this boat gonna be in the water and usable by August 6th, 2012? I think 2 years is good enough. You can do it!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Is this boat gonna be in the water and usable by August 6th, 2012? I think 2 years is good enough. You can do it!
Thanks, but you have me confused with Jasoutside. I need at least 6 hours of sleep.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's all good, I kinda think 2013 is a great year to put a big Starcraft in the water;)

dozerII

Admiral

Keep plugging away DJ, the windshield align looks good, that can be a real pain in the butt.
Glen

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

looking sweet, nice fit and finish on the windshield!!!!!!! Need to stop over and get that rivet gun back to ya.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

looking sweet, nice fit and finish on the windshield!!!!!!! Need to stop over and get that rivet gun back to ya.

No huge rush, just as long as I get it back....

Any West Michigan guys know where I can get 7/8 SS tubing bent for bow rails???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

EZ said once how much of a pain he had with his.

Yeah that was a painful job and I'm still not happy with it. I think I'd have to complete remake my console panels to be 100% happy. For now, my weatherstripping hides the gap I ended up with.

Yours is looking great.