1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice
A buddy has this what appears to be a 1978 Starcraft Holiday V5 hull. It says on the data plate that it was originally an I/O but has obviously been modified for outboard power. My buddy says it had a narrow Merc on it previously.
What should I be leery of or look more closely at on this project ? I want to take it back to closed bow but leave it as an outboard.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

Welcome, it looks to me that the boat has always been an outboard model. Everything back there looks pretty factory original, right down to the painted plywood where the outboard mounts. to bad about the bow though, but with some new aluminum and wood you should be able to put it back the way it was. It will be a fair amount of work though, as you'd have to pull the rub rail channels off.

Things to look for would be check the transom to see if its rotten or not as well as the floor. Check for missing rivets as well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep converted closed bow:
Starcraft008_zps10ffe8a6.jpg

Non-factory cut edge (wavy) along the gunwale & the odd left over bits on the console tops under the windshield.

If you can get sheet stock to replicate the closed bow, shouldn't be too much to return it to closed bow. But it is always harder to put back then it may have been to remove w/ a saw..

Interesting, data plate says I/O. IMHO, it looks like a factory OB transom:
Starcraft001_zps7ad4a64e.jpg

Took some time & effort to make the transom endcaps, rubrail & all fit right. Esp compared to the fit & finish of the closed to open bow conversion..........
Starcraft004_zps1142d0aa.jpg

But some of the added bits on the front of the splashwell aren't factory...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome aboard duncan!

Looking at the hack job done on the bow cover aluminum, there's no way the same guy did a perfect outboard conversion. My bet is that it's not ever been an I/O. It's safe to say that all boats of that vintage in that condition need a full gut job and rebuild. Sounds like fun huh?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your buddy asking for the boat?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That bow conversion hurt my eyes and made me feel sorry for the poor old boat.

If you aren't afraing of framing with aluminum and sheet metal work the bow job won't be bad at all and will give the poor old boat her pride back.

I agree with WM about gutting the boat to see what's what with everything, there's no telling who did what to that boat in the past and like the bow job some thing may need to be changed/improved.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on gutting it out, I think I have read enough of the forum teardowns to think that the 78 has planks of foam, not the foam in place. Foam in place looks like a PITA to remove. I will measure the deadrise of the transom to see if it is factory. Parts are definatly not factory as shown in the pics.As for cost, either trading for my canoe. We have to do the title transfer, put air in the trailer tires and make room at my house for it.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Brought it home today. More pictures. Floor is shot. Transom doesnt look horrible from this angle. Plate says I/O but it still looks like it was an O/B Splashwell doesnt quite look right. . For the replacement front deck aluminum I have square aluminum tubing that I can bolt up to hold the deck - which I think is 5052 grade .050 aluminum. First part is inventory while taking the old outdoor carpet and plywood out. I may reuse the pedestal seats but do like the looks of the original seating arrangement.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Keel knee - shouldnt it have one in the under the splashwell picture ?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Knee braces are attached to the stringers on the V5's. See Post #55 from djpeters resto.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Not sure that capacity plate is in it's original location, take a look at the nice shine on those stainless screws holding it on. Not factory at all.

She is a worthy project alright, how's the trailer look?

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

The trailer doesnt look horrible. Seemed a little light for this boat - it is a Yacht Club brand, has a release pin to allow it to tilt. New LED looking lights. It has a 1 7/8 hitch. The model number isnt legible. Towed easier than the popup camper so that was a plus. Bearings looked like they had been greased before it was towed down to the Twin Cities (2008?) Boat hasnt been registered since 2007. I think I need to get a boat cover before anything else - many small trees have sprouted in the compost from last years leaves. My power washer is already getting ready to work overtime.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

More progress. Thats a 32 gallon tank, feels like it has some fuel left. Lawnmower should be happy with that. Has been pulled before I think as the rivets were replaced with drywall screws. Lots of original white foam, some towards the rear was damp on the bottom layers Found a stash of petrified acorns and some nests. Only 2 wasp nests so far. Hope to have it to bare hull by the end of the weekend.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But where are the squirrels going to live now? :) Yeah, all the critters like a boat that's sitting. Is the foam wet or dry, Duncan? Least it's the easy stuff to get out.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Only two small sections were damp. The rest has been bone dry. This fuel tank is next to come out. Heavy hoses from the tank. Not sure what the best way to get rusted drywall screws out, I had to drill the heads off some and used the sawzall for a couple in tight locations. The floor hasnt been wet, just feels "saggy".

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Under the tank appeared original plywood, one side mulch, other usuable as a template Does anyone know if the fuel bay area was sealed at the bottom and sides originally ? I see what looks to be silicone sealant on the ends. Demoing the front was entertaining. Drill bit, straight and phillips head were used to remove the variety of fasteners. Tank says 32 gallons. Next steps power wash / degrease then gluvit.

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's a huge belly tank, you mentioned silicone sealant at the bulkheads (end) of the tank compartment, someone has been below decks before.

All the same, great looking demo.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Good progress duncan, my capacity plate looked just like yours nice and shiny and attached with stainless screws, so I;m pretty sure that is the original plate they just used the wrong one or ran out of ob ones

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Good progress duncan, transum is a clone to mine I'm pretty sure it is original unless someone did a heck of a job changing it from io to ob, my capacity plate looked just like yours nice and shiny and attached with stainless screws, so I'm pretty sure that is the original plate they just used the wrong one or ran out of ob ones. oops sorry for the double post.