1977 starcraft islander deal or no deal

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 starcraft islander deal or no deal

i can get the usual exterior grade or 3/4 pressure treated no problem from the lumber yard, i wanted to do it with the right materials :) i only plan on doing this once to this boat i have mild OCD :) whats the recommended epoxy resin of choice? hopfully ill get time to get the engine out this weekend time is against me

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

An exterior grade transom coated with US Composites Epoxy should last darn close to forever if you take care of that Islander, eh!

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i can pretty much atest to the fact ill take care of it much better then the last owner. this poor thing has seen years of neglect. i think im going to pretty much keep it original other then the colors and seats. althooooo i do really like what you did with the gunwhales. im getting my grocery list together :) what thickness did you make your transom i think i remember reading 2 3/4 inch pieces laminated together?

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat.JPG

id like it to look like this, this is the islander I used to have :)

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You found a great project boat! Materials have been covered by others so I wont repeat them. I am using West System Epoxy for my Jet Star. Its a bit more expensive but I've used it before and it lasts, and lasts, and lasts.

Welcome to iBoats!

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the transom plywood in it now its no more then 3/4 inch i can stick my finger through it to the plywood, my concern is adding another piece when remounting the gimble housing wont that slide the rear motor mounts forward inturn sliding the motor forward if it goes any further forward the mounts on the hull have to be moved forward :) i LOVE getting involved with someone elses hack this operation will consist of many adult beverages

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup thats what im sayin.... someone has been in there before you can just tell, its not something id expect to see straight from starcraft. ill take pictures tomorrow :) this week has been hectic just got off stuff in in a 16 hour shift and have to go back :) the last guy did some in there, he rebuilt the engine he said yet now no gauges work IE oil pressure, volt guage, tach, the trim up and down gauge (not sure thats related) its a wiring rats nest.... ill take a few pictures i think you might have like them :laugh:

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i dont trust it, he said it threw a rod through the block, it has a truck block in it now with all "new" marine parts he says. the thing runs good since i got it running. however im seeing things that make you go HMMMMMM. we shall see whats in store when it starts coming apart:)

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I guess its atleast good its running ok for now,lol

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah once i get the engine out ill take a close look at it, id like to run it more but time is the issue right now. sounds good though. i wish i could get the boat inside to work on it i think it will fit in my garage under the house id i take a wall down :) buah ha ha ha

dozerII

Admiral

Yikes, one piece of 3/4 ply to hold the motor in, what was he thinking!!! Makes me think we should start a thread in this section that shows pics of some of the real dumb stuff that is done by P/O's.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Even with the problems you found, you got a great deal on this boat. I would love to drag home a project for this kind of money.
But Islanders are scarce where I live and the pickings are slim to none.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yikes, one piece of 3/4 ply to hold the motor in, what was he thinking!!! Makes me think we should start a thread in this section that shows pics of some of the real dumb stuff that is done by P/O's.

i like that!!

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat7.jpgboat1.jpgboat2.jpgboat3.jpgboat4.jpg

you cant really see from the transom pic but theres only one piece of plywood there the pics dont really do the mess any justice but thought i would throw them up.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

got about an hour or so to work on her a little bit today