1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a solution to the squirrels. Her name is Heidi, she weighs about 100#s and is a German Shepherd....... she "exercises" the squirrels....some of them "die from heart attacks" you know, high cholesterol diet of nuts.....she always tries to give the mouth to mouth and revive them, never seems to work lol!

We once owned two Siberian Huskies and they would keep all the squirrels in check and limit their family sizes as well. But sadly both have since passed away years ago. They would hunt the squirrels with one gaining their attention, and the other sneaking up from behind them. I always loved watching them coordinate their attacks. Don't even think they don't strategize between each other to hunt them... Amazing to see each one play their part in the hunts.

But we don't have any dogs now and the squirrels free roam...with pecans in their mouths.

todhunter

Canoeist
Yeah I guess that is true. And I also get to sharpen my hand eye coordination accuracy as well swatting them. If I could only use a shotgun, that would surely be neat! Not so sure the neighbors would think so though...:laugh:

You need a Bug-A-Salt. Probably the most fun I've had for $40 this summer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You need a Bug-A-Salt. Probably the most fun I've had for $40 this summer.

I do have a BUG-A-SALT rifle. However, let me say this for everyone else that doesn't yet have one. That do an amazing job on typical house flies for sure. And I do have to say it is really fun shooting those flies. You really don't have to get too close either. One shot usually kills typical house flies on the spot. :cool:

BUT, since those BUG-A-SALT rifles use table salt as their bullet material, the salt will absolutely corrode any metal it falls on. I used my Bug-A-Salt in my shop killing flies for lots of fun not even thinking about the SALT. And a few months later every metal table on all my wood-working power equipment had salt corrosion on them. Once I seen that, I haven't shot any flies. I have to clean all the cast iron table tops and sand them to smooth surfaces again and then some paste wax. :faint2:

I did something equally stupid a few years ago as well. I etch a lot of PC boards for the circuits I design and build. Therefore built an etching tank with heater and an air pump for the bubbler system for the Ferrite Chloride etching solution. And with that etching tank, it was producing etched boards in less then a few minutes.as well.

SOoooo I made the stupid decision to just let the etching acid in that etching tank, so all I had to do was turn it on and go. Well little did I know at the time was Ferric Chloride gives off acid fumes constantly. Unless it is in an air tight container, those acid fumes will be emitted non-stop. And I stored that etching tank in a cabinet in a plastic tub waiting for the next time I need it. Months later every metal item in the cabinet was very corroded indeed. I mean really bad too! The ended that stupid idea. I seem to learn things sometimes the hard way... :cold:

So the Bug-A-Salt rifle was a present that is fun to shoot, but be careful where you shoot it! :facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I got that last piece of steel in now and can start back finishing that stretcher/shrinker body build. And since I already have all the other parts made sitting there, I am hoping that it goes well.

Yesterday I smelted another 100 plus pounds of lead into 1 pound bars. I will continue that today since our temps are FALL temps now. :peace:

I know it seems like I have a ton of hobbies, and actually I really do. I like to make all types of projects and get into each full bore. I can't begin to explain the self satisfaction that comes with making virtually everything I want. Yes, some projects (like the boat) takes a longer route then others, but I enjoy doing them all the same. I'm not the type to retire, sit and do nothing...at least for very long! :joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The 3.0 is the way to go. More powerful and you don't have to deactivate the safety every shot. Enjoy it, and sorry for derailing the thread.

Ha guys, what is this Bug-A-Salt V3 version rifle now? I didn't know the came out with a newer version. I have to take a look-see.

I have just finished up smelting the last of the lead. This morning I smelted 125 plus pounds. Glad that is over with. While I do enjoy smelting lead, even that gets old after hours of WORK. I now think I have a least 500 plus bars. And yes storing that many does take some time because where ever you chose to store them, you know you are not going to change your mind. Too much heavy work to move them around from one place to the next. So you pick the spot, hopefully right, the first time.

Next is the stretcher/shrinker body... The weather is great!!!!!! Makes me feel like doing things... :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
While I am thinking about it. Does anyone use a wireless trolling motor from either Minn Kota or Motor Guide? I am looking that direction because I am not sure the typical foot control models have a long enough cable length to allow me to mount it and have the foot control at my feet below the bow platform. So I may have to go the wireless controller type? Any ideas? I am posting a picture of the bow setup to help explain the issue...

Since the trolling motor will mount on the left side and drop at the center bow, do any of you see an issue with a cable foot control having enough length to sit on the lower floor to used?

Carpet cont-B (2).JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looking good GM!

Thanks kcassells, If you look at the picture there is still one more plate/panel that will be installed once I get the locator. It will go to the right of the gauge panel that same size as the trolling motor panel on the left side to balance the look.

Just need to get the trolling motor situation figured out... Cable control or wireless?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is looking really nice GM. I am no help on the trolling motor.....I troll for the ones wearing bikinis lol!

I guess those are the "wireless type". Not sure I would live to actually fish if I installed one of them in the boat...:brick::censored:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was able to get some real work done on the shrinker/stretcher body today. It is now about ready to weld up and finish. I have to say, it is coming out better then I was expecting. I will post the factory one and my copied effort one when I get to that stopping point. Not really as hard as I thought it would be when I first started it. And I have also drawn up some spec drawings for each part as well.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Is that a Lancaster? I noticed the other day that Eastwood is carring an american made shrinker-stretcher.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is that a Lancaster? I noticed the other day that Eastwood is carring an american made shrinker-stretcher.

NO mine is not made in American, sadly. In fact I noticed a Taiwan stamped in the bottom of mine as I was disassembling it to copy the parts for my version.

Most are cast iron (or some type scrap metal) setups. My copy is using steel for everything. So I have to weld mine together. But I have no reason to think it won't be as strong or capable. In fact, I thing it will be easily capable and work without issue.

The price for these things is unbelievable seeing how they are built and what they do. But if you decide to buy a setup, make sure you get two of the bodies because both sets of jaws come with them and you can setup both shrinker and stretcher. That way you don't have to be swapping the jaws around. And you will need both jaws regardless what you are doing. If you shrink a piece of metal too far, you have to use the stretcher to fix it, and visa versa. So both are needed for sure.

If you own a business that needs such things, I would buy the best I could afford. That is because they will get used a lot more then a backyard hobby shop will ever use them. Although I can't see how any of them could possibly wear out and need replaced regardless of make or cost! Seems impossible to wear out one inch square steel bars.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Its on my bucket list to get a setup. I always try to buy the best thing I can justify, even though it isn't in a professional shop. My theory is to buy things once, lol! I buy American when I can, almost always much better quality.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Its on my bucket list to get a setup. I always try to buy the best thing I can justify, even though it isn't in a professional shop. My theory is to buy things once, lol! I buy American when I can, almost always much better quality.

arch, this particular one I bought USED off Ebay for a really good price after negotiating with the seller. So that is how I ended up with a Taiwanese version. However, I am betting most of all of them are probably made in some cheap labor country.

I always try to buy American for even little things... Without getting into any trouble on these forums, if only people thought about buying American products years ago, we wouldn't be in the situations we presently are in. I just don't think any country can make things better then American workers... Enough said on that! JMHO

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I thought I would post what those little furry squirrels did to my boat trailer. I've been telling you all about how they worked the trailer over. So I am posting a few pictures for you to see their results. Now you can see what those sweet little fur balls are capable of... Maybe they should meet up with some serious lead poisoning. I have been seeing some very young ones lately and they seem to think they own the place...

I have the material to make a new spare tire cover and maybe even enough carpet to patch over the chewed up end of the bunk. And I will have to disassemble the LED light so I can install some longer wires to reattach the trailer wires to...

:laser:

New shots-1 (1).JPG

New shots-1 (2).JPG

New shots-1 (3).JPG

New shots-1 (4).JPG

New shots-1 (5).JPG

Willyclay

Captain
I hate tree rats! Try one or more of the plug-in ultrasonic sound emitters. Been using them for the attic, garage and deck. Hope I do not jinx myself by suggesting they "seem" to discourage the little bastards. In more general terms, a critter removal guy told me they do not like noise of any type. Good luck!