1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

i know you would have thought of that, your just a little buzzed :p right now with your great find. just think of all the fun the family will have on that boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My engine vote would be to NOT dump much money into the Stringer. If, by some chance, it could be made running and useable for no more than a couple hundie than go for it. Otherwise I'd convert it. I just don't want to see you put money into it just to be end up dry-docked because something no-longer-available decides to break.

As for to replace with another I/O or get and outboard bracket I just really don't know.

Yup, I am with you on this OMC. There won't be much (if anything) that I'll put into this setup. I am in no rush to make a decision on the guts that will push this boat, but, I am nearly certain that this OMC won't be doing it.

Bondo

Staff member

but, I am nearly certain that this OMC won't be doing it.

Ayuh,... That's good to hear,..

My barge is a 74 Islander,...

You'll be doing the transom anyways, so I'd suggest the next points of Inspection should be the bottom of the bulkheads, either sides of the door...
Seems they swell with water,+ cause the cabinroof to settle...
Another point is the ends of the wooden bulkhead running under the cabin windshield,..
They'll rot there, casuing cabin settling...

Btw,... I'd suggest a 4.3l Merc. Alpha refit,... ;)

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

I think you will be more impressed once you get it cleaned and dried out. May not need to much work. Darn shame a guy would not put a tarp over the boat. Not to bright I think. Good luck I would put on a sea drive and a decent 150 O/B. If the present set up wont work. Keep us posted. Is the engine cover with the boat??

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... That's good to hear,..

My barge is a 74 Islander,...

You'll be doing the transom anyways, so I'd suggest the next points of Inspection should be the bottom of the bulkheads, either sides of the door...
Seems they swell with water,+ cause the cabinroof to settle...
Another point is the ends of the wooden bulkhead running under the cabin windshield,..
They'll rot there, casuing cabin settling...

Btw,... I'd suggest a 4.3l Merc. Alpha refit,... ;)

Yup, most everything will need to be replaced. The final verdict won't be here till spring.

The good thing is that the boat is complete so I can use the old stuff as templates which will make my life a lot easier. Most all of the aluminum angle in in good condition so that can be reused. While the cushions in the cabin are looking rough the foam actually feels pretty good so that might be just a recover job.

4.3 Merc, hmmmmm. Thanks for the pointer!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you will be more impressed once you get it cleaned and dried out. May not need to much work. Darn shame a guy would not put a tarp over the boat. Not to bright I think. Good luck I would put on a sea drive and a decent 150 O/B. If the present set up wont work. Keep us posted. Is the engine cover with the boat??

Yup, sure did. Not much to look at. Reusable, yah maybe. Of course it all depends on what sort of motor set up will be on the back, eh!

Man, I sure wish I had a big heated pole barn about now! It'll be a few more months before this thing thaws out.

I shoveled out about 8 inches of snow and leaves this morning. We'll count that as day one of my rebuild, eh! I'll go grab a boat tarp in order to minimize my work in the spring.

P1000664.jpg

P1000670.jpg

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

jasoutside congratulations and welcome to the cult. :D:D Yes them little ones look as excited as your text in your post.:D Glad to see ya made it home safe. check your PM's couple links for you. Ya might not want to pass up.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 23 ft reinell cabin boat with the same power set up. Was not real fast as it was a glass hull ,but boy did I HAVE A GREAT TIME ON IT. SLEEP, FIX MEALS ,FRESH COFFEE ,ANY TIME AND FISH DOING IT. THE MOTOR AND OUT DRIVE ARE FAIRLY EASY TO SERVICE. One has to do a daily check as the mechinical set up is not as modern as the new ones. Parts easy to obtain and I even rebuilt the o/d. Just take photos of what you take apart and its easy to get it back together . I had no problem changing gears just put the same bushings in you took out. Was never a problem. Except wren I spun the top drive shaft. Came in on kicker rebuilt it and was back in the water in two days. Been retired for 15 yers so every day is a holiday. Have fun. The fellow up the street has a 22 Islander with a 115 O?B likes it real well and does well on the Pacific Ocean. Runs about 30 mph loaded.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

That looks great. I would say it's not a hobby but more of a way of life. Your kids will remember this forever. This is a great family project er way of life.

Where did you get her at? I see the Indiana registration and some kind of Steelhead sticker (Michiana Steelheaders?).

Don

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That looks great. I would say it's not a hobby but more of a way of life. Your kids will remember this forever. This is a great family project er way of life.

Where did you get her at? I see the Indiana registration and some kind of Steelhead sticker (Michiana Steelheaders?).

Don

Yah, I can't wait till it's ready for the big lake! I'll be super pumped the day that my boys can hook into a big ol salmon!

Picked it up at a scrap yard in the boonies outside of Battle Creek.

Guys who were passing me going north, pulling snow machines probably thought I was nuts. (they might be partially right, eh)

Huron Angler

Admiral

ja glad to see your quest has ended:D That is a great-looking old islander(my favorite SC model BTW) and you will have a nice boat on your hands with a bit of work.

I would agree with bond-o that a 4.3 merc would be a great setup, plenty of power to get back in off the big lake when it picks up.

If it were my boat? Dual outboards:D Safe to run out pretty far when you have total redundancy with two big OB's. Can't wait to see how she turns out, sounds like you are ready for spring to get here(I sure am).

Welcome to the club:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

ja glad to see your quest has ended:D That is a great-looking old islander(my favorite SC model BTW) and you will have a nice boat on your hands with a bit of work.

I would agree with bond-o that a 4.3 merc would be a great setup, plenty of power to get back in off the big lake when it picks up.

If it were my boat? Dual outboards:D Safe to run out pretty far when you have total redundancy with two big OB's. Can't wait to see how she turns out, sounds like you are ready for spring to get here(I sure am).

Welcome to the club:)

Thanks Huron!

Tell ya what...

While I am in no rush to make a decision the more I read and the more I think about it, I might just be leaning towards the OB route.

I really like the idea of the extra space in the boat for fishing.

There is no way that I'd have the coin for dual outboards but a kicker would work for me!

Cheers!

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well congrats!! Welcome to the starcraft club. It looks like you got your self a family project boat!! Thats Great!! One of the things I noticed in the pics is where the I/O goes through the transom. It looks like there is silicone rubber around the seal. I would check on the inside in that area and make sure you transom wood is not rotted.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

great find!! Good luck with the project, Starcrafts are awesome boats. A friend has a similar cuddy and it can't be beat for fishing.
If it were me...definitly outboards on a bracket, you'd gain alot of space from getting rid of the doghouse.
..Maybe two 90hp merc inline sixes :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well congrats!! Welcome to the starcraft club. It looks like you got your self a family project boat!! Thats Great!! One of the things I noticed in the pics is where the I/O goes through the transom. It looks like there is silicone rubber around the seal. I would check on the inside in that area and make sure you transom wood is not rotted.

Yah, I eyeballed that area around the outdrive gasket for a while, pretty shady eh!

I only spent a couple of minutes checking the inside transom. I assumed it would be totally rotted and a no brainer that it would need to be replaced, but, what I saw actually looked really good. Well whatdoya know! Next time I am out there I'll need to take a closer look.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

great find!! Good luck with the project, Starcrafts are awesome boats. A friend has a similar cuddy and it can't be beat for fishing.
If it were me...definitly outboards on a bracket, you'd gain alot of space from getting rid of the doghouse.
..Maybe two 90hp merc inline sixes :)

Thanks!!

I am with ya on the space for fishing minus that engine.

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

By the way...

Anybody out there have experience with an I/O to Bracket conversion?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I've seen other folks do that,... about a 1/2doz. times....

5 were Junked before they started their 2nd season,+ the Chris-Craft was refitted to a late model Mercruiser....

The change of balance,+ push-point doesn't work well with most hulls...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... I've seen other folks do that,... about a 1/2doz. times....

5 were Junked before they started their 2nd season,+ the Chris-Craft was refitted to a late model Mercruiser....

The change of balance,+ push-point doesn't work well with most hulls...

Huh, 100% failure rate. Not so good numbers there, eh!

I am thinking this might be a reasonable option since the new Islander's have the bracket OB option. I am pretty sure that it's the same hull as the I/O???

Cheers!