1975 StarCraft Mariner build "The Unicorn"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the boat off the trailer to replace the rollers, adding new bunks and getting it painted (well rattle canned one color). The trailer will be white when complete.

FYI there’s a tire under the front of the boat, I put the box there as kind of a cushion as I knew it would collapse.

Attachments

• 94D9E013-0377-4BEE-8C65-DD1219CCB159.jpeg
    94D9E013-0377-4BEE-8C65-DD1219CCB159.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • C0D8582B-C0CD-4CFD-8031-84A50C67B69B.jpeg
    C0D8582B-C0CD-4CFD-8031-84A50C67B69B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I love the crushed craftsman box you used for support. Whatever it takes!!!

lol

SHSU

SHSU

You going to run electrical for your trailer lights before you put the hull back on?

Trailer looks nice!!

SHSU

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back on the trailer. Waiting on new tail lights. First choice was not compatible. Going to wash the hull tomorrow if the rain holds off. 38F3E1B8-9E18-418C-8379-27F738EF6AAB.jpeg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The main thing with trailers are the bearings and seals. I recommend going through them all and if you see there is any grease on the inside of the wheels to replace the grease seals. They always seem to get blown out by guys over greasing the bearing buddy. Just went though this with my Seafarer trailer.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The main thing with trailers are the bearings and seals. I recommend going through them all and if you see there is any grease on the inside of the wheels to replace the grease seals. They always seem to get blown out by guys over greasing the bearing buddy. Just went though this with my Seafarer trailer.
Yes, I will get there, but will do that last when I get ready for new tires. One of the hubs is loose, which could be caused by a few different things, but will be fixed before hitting the road. Next I am hoping to get started on adding the bracing you recommended and getting everything in place for the new deck to get put in.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, I have a question on my plan for the transom: here is my plan;
1. cut a sheets of 3/4 to 4ft by 72 inches.
2. cut that same sheet in half
3. use wood glue and weight to compress the two pieces together
4. cut wood to template made from original transom
5. apply the old timers formula to these pieces (especially the edges) until it takes no more.
6. temporarily install transom and mark bolt holes
7. drill out bolt holes larger than needed, fill with epoxy and re-drill correct size.
8. Paint transom before installation for further weatherproofing
9. final installation of transom

Does this sound good? I am nervous/anxious about this as I want it done correctly the first time.

Watermann

You'll need 2 sheets of plywood due to the outsides of the transom being over 24". Also what plywood do you plan on using and the adhesive?

I'm not a huge fan of using epoxy in over drilled holes mainly due to the tightening of bolts against the plug and how well it would take compression over the years makes me wonder about it fracturing when hardened. After the first year I go back and re-tighten the bolts through the transom. I just seal all the through holes with 5200 which is a total barrier to water intrusion not to mention your sealer will also get down into the holes as well.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll need 2 sheets of plywood due to the outsides of the transom being over 24". Also what plywood do you plan on using and the adhesive?

I'm not a huge fan of using epoxy in over drilled holes mainly due to the tightening of bolts against the plug and how well it would take compression over the years makes me wonder about it fracturing when hardened. After the first year I go back and re-tighten the bolts through the transom. I just seal all the through holes with 5200 which is a total barrier to water intrusion not to mention your sealer will also get down into the holes as well.
I am using 3/4 marine grade ply for the transom (ac for the floors).

my transom was made using 3 pieces, the main piece being the bottom and sides up to 24'' then two additional shoulder pieces that are 5 in or so long to complete the rest of the transom.

Copy on the 5200.

Watermann

I am using 3/4 marine grade ply for the transom (ac for the floors).

my transom was made using 3 pieces, the main piece being the bottom and sides up to 24'' then two additional shoulder pieces that are 5 in or so long to complete the rest of the transom.

Copy on the 5200.

Yeah my SS was in 3 pieces too, not too many follow that and opt for a solid single piece. Those that have done 3 pieces to use less plywood used biscuits to join them to make it more solid.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to update, old transom is out, new transom is fabbed. Old timers formula to be applied this week.

After that is complete I will move to start the chine supports and start working on cutting new deck pieces.

Hodgey4489

Cadet
Took the boat off the trailer to replace the rollers, adding new bunks and getting it painted (well rattle canned one color). The trailer will be white when complete.

FYI there’s a tire under the front of the boat, I put the box there as kind of a cushion as I knew it would collapse.
I like the build so far. My trailer is in desperate need of attention as well. How did you get your gal off the trailer. My SS is a 22’ and was wondering how to tackle the job. I didn’t know if it would hurt it. I do have a few tires laying around I could use.

SHSU

Any pics? Some of us have trouble reading.... ;)

lol

SHSU

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like the build so far. My trailer is in desperate need of attention as well. How did you get your gal off the trailer. My SS is a 22’ and was wondering how to tackle the job. I didn’t know if it would hurt it. I do have a few tires laying around I could use.
1620741134121.png

I strapped the back end to an oak tree and slowly pulled it off (see the above). I put tires underneath it and used wooden blocks to keep it balanced. when it was time to put the boat back on I pulled the trailer right up to her and started winching. I put her in a spot where the bow was resting on a hump in the grass so the bow was higher. made getting her back on the trailer super easy.

The John

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any pics? Some of us have trouble reading.... ;)

lol

SHSU
Ha, only this of the old transom. Not bad really for 45 years of being outside.

Attachments

• 18AF3C1A-239B-4D65-8937-E607B413C290.jpeg
    18AF3C1A-239B-4D65-8937-E607B413C290.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Hodgey4489

Cadet
View attachment 339813

I strapped the back end to an oak tree and slowly pulled it off (see the above). I put tires underneath it and used wooden blocks to keep it balanced. when it was time to put the boat back on I pulled the trailer right up to her and started winching. I put her in a spot where the bow was resting on a hump in the grass so the bow was higher. made getting her back on the trailer super easy.
Genius! Thank you for the idea.

Watermann

There you go, that stuff is a powerful rot deterrent. Remember the flats will only take so much as the glue layer is a barrier to any sealant, the edges are key.

Status
Not open for further replies.