1975 oday 22

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flashback has a good point there on the air horn. I'm not a veteran sail guy but I know that ropes just love to go to great lengths to find the one possible snag! Murphy's Law being the first verse in the boat bible and all...
Transom sounds like a good trouble free place.

Or what about at top of the mast? Run a piece of aquarium hose taped right in with your internal wires to the mast light that you're redoing anyway. Simple barbed splice at the bottom to disconnect if needed when stepping mast. The horn would definitely be out of the way and heard loud and clear from up there! Probably keep the birds away easy too lol

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
the battery switch is master on off. yes the blue lights do light up but not the whole cabin just parts of the floor. lol. however the main lights. i only needed 2 of them. so i have 4 spares. as for the horn, i was thinking the top of the mast but im also thinking beside the front hatch. i dont think anything will get snagged there....

flashback

Captain
Most folks put a Windex at the top of the mast to show wind direction which helps to set sails properly. You might get away with mounting the horn next to the companion way hatch but generally anything protruding on the deck or cabin top is a problem. I just carried an inexpensive portable air horn. Plenty loud!

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i will look into the 2 spots. but im pretty sure by my front hatch. will be perfect for it.

southkogs

Staff member
The mainsheet should typically be behind the companion way, but I agree - good chance it'll get hung up on something. The one day you need to drop the main fast, the halyard (<== EDIT: oops) will be hung up on it for some dumb reason.

Any way you can rig the horns to the underside of the bow rail? I think that would be the cleanest spot for 'em. Or maybe some type of cage to go over it?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
@1975oday22 do you know how / have experience sailing? And a sloop this size? (I don't remember seeing that anywhere, so flashback and racerone may have a point)

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
wow thanks for the vote of confidence guys. no i do not know how to sail. i have been watching youtube vids of how its done. i am a quick learner and will be doing this on my own. i am not new to boats. however new to sailing one. and even if i dont sail it , i still have the option to motor it. lol. anyways this is what i have done so far. i have installed my new led nav lights. (still waiting for mast anchor light to arrive) as for the horn. this is where i will put it. because the compressor has to be not to far from it, so the compressor will be installed on the bulkhead. i also installed my new radio and speakers. (now needing more wiring ) the switches that you see in the pic are not hooked up . they are just there untill i can figure out what i want to put there

Attachments

• IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3543.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7

southkogs

Staff member
The question of experience wasn't about ability ... it was about understanding Murphy's Law at sea. Lines get themselves all over the place sometimes; doesn't matter your experience level. Experience just tells you that it happens more than you'd expect. Every boat sails a little different, and every sailor handles his or her lines different. That could cost you a horn at some point.

You can mount the horns anywhere you like. My experience with sail boats is that I wind up standing on the deck house quite a bit and can see myself kicking the horns where you have them, or stubbing my toes quite often. That or getting the main halyard or jibsheets scrambled in the horn and pulling it off. Wouldn't be an every time thing ... just one more time than I wanted.

flashback

Captain
Please sail the boat before you mount the horn or my confidence will be non existent.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Please sail the boat before you mount the horn or my confidence will be non existent.
well, your confidence is non existent, my confidence is well up, and i am more than confident that i will survive this endeavor. as for the horn placement, i have not mounted it officially in the spot. i will look into other spots before i decide to do anything more on that .... as for me sailing. im sure i can do it , and as i said , if i dont want to sail it, ill just motor it. lol.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
as for the cleaning of the mildew. i am using water and bleach with a scrub brush and towel, its working great so far. slow progress on it, very tight quarters. here is before and after shots. after all is cleaned out, i will be repainting with a mildew resist paint

Attachments

• IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

flashback

Captain
I should have been more explicit, My confidence IN YOU. I understand it's a new game and I'm just trying to help.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
I should have been more explicit, My confidence IN YOU. I understand it's a new game and I'm just trying to help.
lmao, i knew you didnt have any confidence in me. . im sure your not the only one that has no confidence in me. oh well, so be it. i cant please everyone. i do all my upgrades, and installing everything on any boat i have owned, then i set out to learn .... thats the way i work. i know motor boats more then sailing. as i said. lots of youtube videos. hours upon hours of watching and learning, lots of schematics as well and rigging and terminology. by the time im ready to get this out on the water i will know how to do all this by myself. and have all new parts and will have done everything on my own. as i always have done things on my own anyways. noone to teach or even help me along the way.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
oh i know they will, but only words. no hands on , nor mentoring, this is what i mean by doing myself.

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stereo setup looks great, I wouldn't be too worried about the horns at this point.. Could always just zip tie/clamp them a few different places first and settle on whatever looks/works best for ya once everything else is done. I like to only lightly attach things like you did oftentimes while I am still customizing the whole thing because the design is almost always a bit of an evolution anyhow! lol
You're getting the right things done and it's coming along plenty fast for spring. Once you finish cleaning that area down there and paint it it's going to be better than new in that space. Doubt the factory used mildew proof paint, steady as she goes!

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
progress is slow at this point. holidays and all. lol need to buy more wiring. waiting on the new mast light, still have to buy a new solar panel setup. (going with renogy this time) as for cleaning, its also slow going. i jump from project to project. also got to tidy up the wiring. (more wire clamps and heatshrink) . the paint will be expensive. but well worth it..... the horn , well still not sure of its location. the horn is starting to become a nightmare situation. lol.....