1975 oday 22

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i just took out the gauge. and yes its stuck there but does move ... i think its just a calibration needing to be done. gotta clean it up some as well. i also took out the saturn compass , gonna clean it up and get the light working again as its not even hooked up at all. will take pics and post after.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_3178.JPG
    IMG_3178.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
  • IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
and some more pics of the knots meter.

Attachments

• IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
  • IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i can move the arm freely but it wont stay at 0. is there a trick to these old timers?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought battery yesterday, all lights are working, Yay! but those will all be changed to led. along with complete rewire, and adding goodies .... right now i dont like where my battery is located. under port side settee. and the hatch will not close . i want to make a cabinet under the companionway to house all new electrical. what do you all think? pros cons? problems with this idea? lets hear it all.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.JPG
    IMG_3256.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_E3258.JPG
    IMG_E3258.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought battery yesterday, all lights are working, Yay! but those will all be changed to led. along with complete rewire, and adding goodies .... right now i dont like where my battery is located. under port side settee. and the hatch will not close . i want to make a cabinet under the companionway to house all new electrical. what do you all think? pros cons? problems with this idea? lets hear it all.
I like that idea, that's a nice low place to have the battery and make your COG even lower. The settee spot is easiest for reaching in and hooking up a maintenance charger so that's probably why it's there. Not like you have a cold starting big block engine back there that you want shortest possible cables to the starter or something. Seems like a good move!

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Got the wiring started by first establishing power from house battery 1 in the bow compartment to the 12 circuit main fuse panel by the sink. A few close-ups of the heat shrink connectors with the glue inside. Was great to see the panel light up and to now be able to turn the water pump on with the flip of a switch.
View attachment 390531View attachment 390537View attachment 390536View attachment 390527View attachment 390539View attachment 390535View attachment 390529View attachment 390534View attachment 390528View attachment 390533View attachment 390538View attachment 390530View attachment 390532
Wow, I just noticed that this post which I put in my own restoration thread, I somehow accidentally double posted it the same day to this thread too... I am terrible with this stuff apparently lol Can't delete it now but sorry- didn't mean to hijack!!

Any pictures of Your wiring for Your boat yet?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
none as of yet. i have to order the wiring next... i will take a pic of what i have so far after supper and post. the existing wiring is very shody. looks like extension cords pulled apart and used... i will be ordering 8 gauge battery wire, and probly 14 gauge through out the boat and mast... . and dont worry. you didnt hijack . your just proud of the work on yours , so ya just had to share it. cheers

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Doubting those were tinned wire marine extension cords... lol (if there even is such a thing) So sounds like a rewire is definitely needed then. I try to use tinned wire whenever I can but damn it's expensive. I'm sure you'll get it all straightened out. It's nice when you rewire things properly and they work reliably like they should!

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
ya its not tinned for sure. got a good price for it on amazon. so its in my wish list. along with lights audio mast lights running lights. and a bunch more stuff ... lol. expensive these are.....

flashback

Captain
i can move the arm freely but it wont stay at 0. is there a trick to these old timers?
You could try to lube the bearings with some clock oil, keystone is a good one, other than that it's probably seen better days but could be repaired. They're still around as a lot of folks have them on small boats with no house power..

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
alright. here is what i got so far for wiring . not much but damned expensive to buy , still need heat shrink, 8 gauge battery , 14 gauge for mast and cabin, good crimpers, battery cable connectors, ect. it will take me the better part of winter to get everything. i need .... also a shot of vhf marine antenna, boat covered and engine. wich by the way has great compression and easy to pull. still have to get a wack load of butyl tape to seal everything up, add new audio, new switches, make a new electrical box, mount my garmin gpsmap 78 maybe find an old radar or ais unit , fix knot meter, , you know.....all the fun stuff. lol.....oh and repaint the inside of the locker under the cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG

flashback

Captain
Your going to need something to keep your batteries charged, the minimal electrics your boat came with was for a reason, Oday just gave enough to be legal and didn't anticipate the current desires. I swapped all my lighting to LED and that helped a bunch. Not too discourage you but you may want to keep a handle on your power needs. A decent solar panel would keep my battery up when the boat was used as a weekender.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Your going to need something to keep your batteries charged, the minimal electrics your boat came with was for a reason, Oday just gave enough to be legal and didn't anticipate the current desires. I swapped all my lighting to LED and that helped a bunch. Not too discourage you but you may want to keep a handle on your power needs. A decent solar panel would keep my battery up when the boat was used as a weekender.
solar panel is already in the list of things that i need to get. just didnt put the whole list here .....

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
alright. here is what i got so far for wiring . not much but damned expensive to buy , still need heat shrink, 8 gauge battery , 14 gauge for mast and cabin, good crimpers, battery cable connectors, ect. it will take me the better part of winter to get everything. i need .... also a shot of vhf marine antenna, boat covered and engine. wich by the way has great compression and easy to pull. still have to get a wack load of butyl tape to seal everything up, add new audio, new switches, make a new electrical box, mount my garmin gpsmap 78 maybe find an old radar or ais unit , fix knot meter, , you know.....all the fun stuff. lol.....oh and repaint the inside of the locker under the cockpit.
It's ridiculous how much basic building materials go for these days isn't it!? The last couple years have been an insane price hike with so many things... That panel looks like a nice one. Sea Choice seems like a good, quality brand in my experience. Thinking you got it covered just in time bc it's already gettin pretty cold here in New England so guessing you might already be getting snow! A good place to get battery cable cheaper is a welding supply shop. Look for ground cable by the roll. It's not tinned but if you seal the hell out if the ends it will be fine bc the casing on this type of cable is nice heavy duty rubber instead of hard plastic that loves to crack and let water in. I got a roll of it for my last boat along with some giant crimpers and made all my numerous battery connections myself pretty easily. Your cables will be inside the cabin right so they're even more protected than usual probably.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Great point there, I have done this on vehicles with small alternators that have to run a winch and it makes a huge difference. I'm sure you know this but your typical small 12v incandescent bulb (like in a brake light) uses a boat load of amps for the amount of light it puts out! The LED's could reduce the amperage draw by 90% or more and have a brighter light.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
yepp thats why im goin all out leds on it.... both mast and cabin.... i have some booster cable that im goin to use for the battery to fuse panel... that should be heavy enough... lol... its off battery booster packs....

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
and yes its getting ridiculous for pricing. but thats the world we live in . we had a light dusting of snow. but now its rain .....

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well this is it untill i get my wiring ....... and leds nav and mast lights. along with many other items needed.....

Attachments

• IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2