1975 Merc 500 No Low to Mid Idel stalling NEED HELP

MADMERCOWNER

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
11
I have a low idel problem. When I start my outboard it runs for about 20 seconds then starts to stall. To keep it running I have to tap the choke. Then it will rev up again for about 5 seconds. I have to continue this process just to keep it running. If I tap it too much she stalls.When I put it into gear I have to do the same thing up until it is over half throttle. At full throttle she runs sweet. There is fresh high octane fuel and vented-new fuel pump-new fuel lines and a fresh tune up. Now what. Hope you guys can help! Thanx
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: 1975 Merc 500 No Low to Mid Idel stalling NEED HELP

Check the compression. I suspect one or more low cylinders, but maybee not. But without it, no sence in proceding, because everything hinges on that.
 

MADMERCOWNER

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
11
Re: 1975 Merc 500 No Low to Mid Idel stalling NEED HELP

Did compression check. 130 to 140 across all 4 cylinders. Is it possible only one of the two carbs is not working. I used that gum out carb cleaner and when I would spray it in the top carb the engine would slow down until I stop spraying. But in the bottom one no effect at all.
 
Top