1974 starcraft islander overhaul

dproctor1

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like a great project! I'm in the rebuilding phase of my 1984 Islander i/o to outboard bracket conversion. I really like your idea of putting the solid strapping / bracing across the stringers. That will really lock everything together and give great support to your floor. What thickness of aluminum are you putting down on the floor? I'm going with .125 for mine. Are you going to do sheet foam or pour in foam for flotation? After taking out close to 900# of waterlogged pour in foam, I'm going with sheet foam.
I put 1/4" strips of aluminum every 8"s or so with some center braces for the middle i got 1/16" checker plate to go down on the top of it ill be just putting sheet foam in

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome, I was dreaming about a big SC with an OB bracket extension, and here it is!! Subscribed...can’t wait to see it come together

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hows it going just purchased this 74 islander gonna do a complete rebuild on it for salmon and walleye fishing want something with a little more room then my other boat thinking of converting to outboard not 100% yet sure on that yet got lots of time to get it water ready still have the other boat to fish at the moment i noticed both fuel tanks are inside on the sides is there any way of replacing them if rotten or putting a tank under the floor also any way on to fix holes from old cover in upper half of the hull either way got lots of work ahead she needs a complete gut job added a pic of the islander
Can I ask how much space you have in the cabin?
I assume you can’t stand up without ducking?