1974 Starcraft Chieftain 21' Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheiky

Cadet
Re: 1974 Starcraft Chieftain 21' Rebuild

This is getting ridiculous ! I keep getting awesome finds on Craigslist. This time it was two 18 Gallon fuel tanks from Sacramento, $35 each....crazy. I should christen this chieftain the "SS Craigslist" or maybe "SS CL Frankenstein" since it was pieced together from Craigslist parts. The guy I bought the tanks from told me about a couple of boat wrecking yards in or near Sacramento. One is called Shipwreck Marine. Its all parts from dismantled boats. Took a drive up there to check it out......they have EVERYTHING you could possibly want and it's all organized. Prices aren't as good as I thought it would though.

Sheiky

Cadet

Whoops....didn't post the tanks. Here they are. I cleaned one up for a before & after effect.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Wow Sheiky! was there a rainbow associated with that treasure chest? :lol: Great finds!!!

Sheiky

Cadet

Wow Sheiky! was there a rainbow associated with that treasure chest? :lol: Great finds!!!
No kiddin' BlueFin. Hope my luck continues. I was thinking a minute ago that there is no way I could have collected all these parts 15-20 years ago....heck, even 10 years ago. That internet is amazing how you can network with so many people from all over the place. Sure beats going to the bait shop & checking the listings hanging on the wall. I think I've acquired the majority of my tools over the past five years between CL and the weekly flea market here in town.

pckeen

Commander

That's awesome - hope the recovery is going well!

At this rate, you'll be starting a used parts store for the Starmada.

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after almost two years, a hell of a lot of work, blood sweat and tears, Sheiky gave in and sold the boat...to me. Another unfinished project sold off. I have been lusting after the boat on craigslist for over two weeks and two days after we moved near Shieky (and even before we rented a house!) I went and made him the best offer I could now the hull and trailer (and a few other bits) are mine. It is quite a project. It will NOT be a restoration. It will be what most people (understandably) would call "ruining" a classic. I will be fitting a dry stacked, closed loop cooled kubota diesel (probably a 50 hp 2203) with direct drive, through the transom surface piercing large prop. I will be using a PVC panel floor, closed cell polyethylene flotation and aluminum skinned PVC walls for the cabin as well as sides. It will be well heated and sparse in the cabin. The boat will be light, self bailing, as well as completely unsinkable. It will not have a scrap of wood, carpet, paint or textile on it. It will be used for fishing and cruising the nearby Sacramento River and whatever else I dare to try. Well, at least that's the plan for now....Neil

pckeen

Commander
Sounds good - start a new thread with your restoration in it. Nice to see this boat is continuing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, otter. Yes, start a new topic on your continued re-do of Sheiky's former Chieftain.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks for posting the continuing rehab over in your topic Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.