1974 Chieftain 25 "Adventurer" Restoration

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
My supersport v5 was repowered to a 5.7 as well. Similar to IslandExplorer's mount except it sits on a couple of spacers to get the engine height right.
A 5.7 in a super sport? Very nice, that must be a fast planing boat! Is it an SS18? I loved my 16! It didn't have the sharper V5 hull but always wished it did.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
I've gotta say, that engine compartment looks great and quite luxurious.
Thanks! This being my 1st I/O and always having appreciated the ease of access with my outboards- I tried to make the engine bay as open and convenient as possible. Seen plenty of layouts that explain the engine access horror stories...

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! This being my 1st I/O and always having appreciated the ease of access with my outboards- I tried to make the engine bay as open and convenient as possible. Seen plenty of layouts that explain the engine access horror stories...
Ultimately you're taking a big powerplant and building it into a boat. You're generally either gonna sacrifice something in access to the engine or in usable space on the boat. The full-width deck (or seating, I guess) across the top is probably the smoothest imo as long as you can use the deck space. I ended up doing a similar deck on my SS, but with storage compartments on either side rather than the the luxurious space of your empty bay. I can pull the panels for side access easily enough when needed for e.g. changing plugs more easily, but for more mundane tasks like draining and winterizing I generally choose to reach in semi-awkwardly. Also relocated the oil filter so it's easily accessible from the front of the engine.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Ultimately you're taking a big powerplant and building it into a boat. You're generally either gonna sacrifice something in access to the engine or in usable space on the boat. The full-width deck (or seating, I guess) across the top is probably the smoothest imo as long as you can use the deck space. I ended up doing a similar deck on my SS, but with storage compartments on either side rather than the the luxurious space of your empty bay. I can pull the panels for side access easily enough when needed for e.g. changing plugs more easily, but for more mundane tasks like draining and winterizing I generally choose to reach in semi-awkwardly. Also relocated the oil filter so it's easily accessible from the front of the engine.
After seeing a few elusive snapshots of a similar, somewhat less raised deck build on a 25 like mine (the "Salty Dawg"I think it was called) I really loved the flat/flush deck setup. I think it will be great, esp once the railings are on. I do plan on adding some storage under there, but later on bc I'll likely be spending extra time down there till all the kinks are worked out. I drew up plans to have vertical divider like pieces in slots and a setup attaching milk crates or something simar, but for now I'll keep all the luxurious mechanic space. I like the oil filter idea, I'll probably end up doing that as well.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
dayumm bro.... looking awesome as usual.... keep goin on it.... more progress less posting. lol
Thanks, she's getting there, slowly but surely. All these damn O rings and seals have been slowing me down a bit but I've also been working on gathering up critical items like railings, controls, and the swim platform components. Really looking forward to working on the swim deck. Then she'll really be getting close.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Bell housing and shift cable are in, bellows attached at both ends. Man those bellows really are a bear to deal with, but that tool definitely makes a huge difference. Seems it would be nearly impossible without it for the exhaust. I didn't go with an exhaust tube so it had to be hose clamped at both ends.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
What do you guys think of this railing height? The outside deck edge is about 4" higher than the cockpit deck. Thinking of dropping the railing a couple inches to match the cabin height and typical chair height bc it seems a bit tall.

The footings fit perfect and will be riveted to the deck and bolted to the legs most likely for easy removal if needed.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man you are way better about taking photos of stuff than I am... Is that 3 ft off of the deck for the railing?

Comparing to some "standards":
  • Elevated decks (on houses) require 36 in railings
  • Elevated decks on children's playsets require 27 in up to 6 ft height, 33 in for over 6 ft height
  • V5 Supersport 22 interior gunwale height is 27in (from specs, haven't actually measured mine I guess
  • Non-V5 SS 22 was 31 in per the same brochure.

Seems to me that you can drop the rail to level with the cabin height and be in-line with the sort of railing heights associated with big supersports and playgrounds for small children, and much more reasonable aesthetics than an elevated railing.

Gibbles

Commander
At first I was wondering what your doing with the railing, then I saw the chair.
I like the idea!
It looks like a nice place to hang out and fish.

I will say that after spending some time on the water again, just hanging out on the boat, some asshat will ignore the no wake and get it rocking.
The railing seems like a great idea.

Looking at the chairs, the first thing I think of is some method to secure them to the deck/engine cover.
Maybe some railing hardware, and modify for a pin or something?

As for the railing, the height looks weird w/o the chairs on there.
Knock it down to the first rail might look better? IDNK.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the great feedback guys! I'm thinking it will definitely look better shorter too. And yes, it is a full 3 feet of railing as it stands uncut, plus about 4" (bc cockpit is lower than mounting surface) so it is about 40" from inside. The chair is for mock up/scale but I've always liked the idea of having foldable chairs like that in back that can easily fold away or go on the beach so maybe that will be how the rear seating goes. There are definitely plenty off asshats sending wakes lol so the railings I'm sure will be worth it, esp for my older passengers. Makes for lots of side storage too. Planning on making it with a starboard offset walk thru to the rear platform, small fold out bait/cocktail table in center. Lot's to do!