1974 Chieftain 25 "Adventurer" Restoration

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah those guts look great, I've seen some wrecked upper gear sets.
I'm thinking since they look good I'm going to just run em as is with fresh oil and do a real early oil change after the first couple short runs to see how the fluid looks. Figure that should be telling. Hopefully the lower unit gears and beaeings are in good shape too.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know if the water hose is a special type of hose or is it just plain old 5/8 automotive coolant line?

I don't want to wait for a shipment if it is just 5/8 standard stuff. Hoping to get the transom plate back on ASAP.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The raw water hose between the transom assembly and the outdrive isn't anything special, just might be thicker walled to keep from kinking. Be sure to get the shaped hose for the inside after the pass through.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
The raw water hose between the transom assembly and the outdrive isn't anything special, just might be thicker walled to keep from kinking. Be sure to get the shaped hose for the inside after the pass through.
Luckily I think I still have the shaped hose for the inside portion, believe it had a rubber plug in it to change the diameter if I recall but haven't located it just yet.

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Out hunting for the partial hardtop materials today. Going to do a top from windshield to a little past the helm I'm thinking. Want to keep it light but strong enough to hold light storage if needed, some rod holders, lights, etc. so probably will be an aluminum skin over some sort of light structure, like tubing. Definitwly want to keep the console and dash out of full weather exposure. Wish I had one of the tops off an express model to transpalant! Love the shape and overall look of those with the diagonal support.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm curious how those engine mounting points on that boat are constructed. Most of the time we only see the 3.0L inline 4 and inline 6 front engine mount construction on these tinny boats with sterndrives.

More detailed photos of that would be appreciated if possible.
My supersport v5 was repowered to a 5.7 as well. Similar to IslandExplorer's mount except it sits on a couple of spacers to get the engine height right.