1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice
Hey There! So, for about 2 months now I have been lurking in these forums and the day has come... As soon I realized that my wife was going to win the battle of bringing her family boat from the farm in PA to our home in NC, well I dove in...

We just brought the boat home this past weekend and I have to say, I'm pretty psyched. All of your posts, stories, photos, etc., have inspired us to restore the boat and get her in the water... See, I've never owned a boat, and am not really a "water" person, but I have a feeling things are going to change... So, thanks for your inspiration, and any comments/suggestions you may want to share. I'll attempt to post some photos now and hopefully I can figure it out.

Again, thanks and I appreciate you letting me learn from you all.

Jonny C

Attachments

• KH5V8395.jpg
    KH5V8395.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 3
  • KH5V8438.jpg
    KH5V8438.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2
  • KH5V8411.jpg
    KH5V8411.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • KH5V8400.jpg
    KH5V8400.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2
  • KH5V8406.jpg
    KH5V8406.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

Hi Jonny and welcome. That is a really nice looking holiday congratulations. So whats the plan ? Hows the floor and transom ? Motor ?

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

A few more pics...

The boat seems to be in pretty good condition, given it's been in the barn much more than it's been in the water. I have a friend here in Wilmington that has come to check it out and he's gonna help me (more like I'll watch and try to help out), restore the boat.

Attachments

• KH5V8388.jpg
    KH5V8388.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • KH5V8383.jpg
    KH5V8383.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KH5V8371.jpg
    KH5V8371.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • KH5V8366.jpg
    KH5V8366.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • KH5V8361.jpg
    KH5V8361.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Yopperangler,

Plan is to pull up the seats, carpet, etc, and see what's goin' on underneath with the floor. My friend walked it a bunch and found two "softer" spots, but he was surprised it was that minimal... Transom is a definite replacement. Motor "looks really good - clean", will do a compression check on it.

I think it's a Fall/Winter project. He said it was repainted, but the original paint was in good shape and he suggested sanding and spot priming, rather than a full strip, paint, etc... I'm on a budget as well, so that will dictate how much I'll be able to do...

Thanks!

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, Nice family boat. Almost the same set up as my '72 18' Holiday. I would love a 21' er. I like the full bench seat. May want to take a boating course and head out with someone that has a bit of exp. the first few times. If you find you need to go a bit smaller we could swap. Good luck

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard Jonny, I like that boat alot:D

What's the contraption leaning against the splashwell, a gas tank bracket or something?

I'd imagine you will soon become a "water" person with a nice big boat like that one:)

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Swim Ladder.

My 18' with bow railing. No wiper motor.
starcraft web photos 015.JPG

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats! She should clean up nice! Looking forward to the progress!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much!

Yes, that is a swim ladder...

Gun Dog, I dig the 18'... But given what I had to go through with my wife to get this particular boat here to NC, I pretty sure it's here to stay!

Funny, but I see more Green Holiday's than this Orange/Red. I personally prefer the green... We'll see how this thing cleans up and decide what color we go with.

A few friends have already offered to take me out, one the boat is ready - which I am very grateful for...

Thanks again.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Jonny! You found yourself a great tin tub there!:)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome, and nice boat! We don't see many with a rear bench. My wife really wants me to add one to ours. Does it flip up or pull out or do anything fancy?

If you get a chance, could you snap a few pics of how it's constructed? I'm curious to know if there's storage in it and also how's the back cushion held on place.

Thanks.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard. I also have a 21 ft 74 Starcraft holiday inboard, converted to a jet drive. Your's is in a lot better shape than mine was when I got it. Course mine had mad a few trips thru Hell's Canyon before I bought it. Good luck with it. I'm sure you will get a lot of help here, and a lot of moral support also.

Attachments

• 100_4072.jpg
    100_4072.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_4057.JPG
    100_4057.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real nice hull and that Evinrude should be good power for it. Welcome to the Starmada!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for the nice welcome!

Dave, I will try to get some shots up this weekend for you, as I am out of town right now... It did look to me that the bench seat was sitting on a wooden box that was not original to the boat.

Can't wait to get started on this...

More to come.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Dave, have not had a chance to get the photos done, but I did take a close look at it... It's basically a wooden box made of plywood (obviously, not original), and the back seat fits very snug between the 2 sides... As we dig in, I'll be sure to post some pics. Thanks!

Questions, and I may post a new thread outside this (after I sear some more), but can anyone point me to the right place to get a new Bimini top made? Or, has anyone posted a link (if any) to where the patterns may be for this specific model and year?

Also, the light on the stern of the boat does not seem to be original. Any help on how to search for parts like this would be truly appreciated.

Again, many thanks...

Jonny

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Tough to find the "Jetson's" Stern lights - they are cool and sought after - keep checking ebay =- they come up - as far as a new bimini - if you have an old one call around to local upholstery shops and they can make a new one...

Don't start a new thread - just keep you pics/questions/updates on this one - makes things much cleaner!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the advice on the Bimini top and the Stern Lights... I was able to get to the boat this afternoon, where my friends Tony and Peter have been going at it! These guys are amazing - great talent and passionate!

So here are the new pics (including the bench seat for Dave)... We think this is the original box and seat, but the textured material had come off of the wood - then the wood was painted orange...

Thanks!

Jonny

View attachment 108404View attachment 108405View attachment 108406View attachment 108407View attachment 108408

Lil' Rhody

Seaman

What is the Jetson's Stern light look like anyways, I may have one available...

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 22 ft Holiday same set up same seats all origional your a lucky man I have a 200 Johnson with power T/Trim/ the rear seat is origional as I see it It lays forward and storage underneath the seat. also access to rear area where batterys and gas are I have under my splash well a 23 gallon fairly flat tank You will fall in love once you hit the water, these are a top of the line open big water boat and easy to handle my interior is yellow and the bow has a white pleated strip from the windshield to the bow. Good luck PM me your email and I will send a few photos to you. Thats a nice moter you have there my 200 is the sane year as my boat its regestered as a 1975 but the same as yours.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Is the transom bad or do you just want to do it. I would only if it is really needed. It should be dry as a gord being inside. I never even considered removing my floor or transom on my 22 Holiday. If it ain't broke dont fix, it Its like cancer once you open it up to look its all down hill from there. I run my boat hard when I use it but its always covered under a boat cover as well as the temporary garage it sits under. Its a ling ways back to a kicker motor so I removed the seat in the rear but saved it as needed. you can get a lot of stuff in the storage area. Pugetsound