1973 Starcraft SuperSport 16ft. restoration questions

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
I got the tools rounded up and the vacuum ready to use. First thing I want to work on is removing the excess 3M adhesive from the plywood decking, so that’s the task presently at hand. Will certainly keep me busy for awhile.

Safe boating,

Joe

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What are you covering the deck with? I had the bumps as well, but laid the Nautolex down right over it. Might want to just test an area with whatever deck covering you plan to use and see if its even noticeable under foot.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got the opportunity to work on the boat. Decided to tackle the 3M filler that fills the rivet holes in the new decking. Took a while to get the right tools to do the work I want to accomplish but it’s heading in a good direction now. Each rivet location has a raised 3M “dome” of cured putty that will be removed prior to applying the spar varnish and deck covering. Using the tools shown I am able to knock the 3M material down so that the putty is flush to the plywood top surface. Should help to make the deck top covering, be it vinyl or whatever, look and feel smoother to the boat passengers. At least that’s the idea….

Safe boating,

Joe

Attachments

• BADE3CBF-AD2F-4080-9FED-20873CEBD539.jpeg
    BADE3CBF-AD2F-4080-9FED-20873CEBD539.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • 91992636-1BFB-4442-99DA-2921708CDEBB.jpeg
    91992636-1BFB-4442-99DA-2921708CDEBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • B7CB57BC-09C3-4798-A57D-775D82EF2C27.jpeg
    B7CB57BC-09C3-4798-A57D-775D82EF2C27.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
The Admiral and I hope all of you will have a good and safe 4th of July celebration this year.

Also, because of the ongoing care I am providing for my bride of 55 years as a result of her Dementia, there has been no further work on the boat since my previous post above. Not a single thing. Don’t know if I will finish the restoration or just find the boat a new home at this point. As an example of what can occur: June 8th, I rushed Joyce to the ER for a six hour “visit”. She woke up and thought she had a contact stuck on her right eye (she hasn’t worn contacts since 2017 when she had cataract surgery on both eyes.); she did not have a contact in her eye. She tried to remove the phantom contact with her fingers and put a nasty cut/scratch across her right eye with her fingernails resulting in a lot of pain and blurred vision. I stayed awake for 72 hours straight so I could administer eye drops for the pain and an infection prohibitive along with ointment to help keep her eye moist…every hour on the hour. Visited the Ophthalmologist four times so far and have another examination coming up. I am very thankful Joyce didn’t lose her right eye and that it’s healing very nicely. Just one example…we enjoy the good days and try to get through the not so good days the best way we can. Don’t take your loved ones and friends for granted folks because watching Joyce go through this period in her life is the hardest time I have ever endured.

Safe boating,

Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you BOYS AND TOYS and classiccat. We have good news in that the Ophthalmologist told Joyce she would not need surgery as her eye is healing fine. Joyce will have a complete eye examination at the end of this month to see if she needs corrective glasses. She has 20-20 vision in her left eye and her right eye vision improves with each checkup. AND the Admiral is having a great day!! I am going to mow the grass and then she wants me to spend some time with our boat. Gotta love this bride of mine! ❤️

Safe boating,

Joe

scott craumer

Recruit
Thank you BOYS AND TOYS and classiccat. We have good news in that the Ophthalmologist told Joyce she would not need surgery as her eye is healing fine. Joyce will have a complete eye examination at the end of this month to see if she needs corrective glasses. She has 20-20 vision in her left eye and her right eye vision improves with each checkup. AND the Admiral is having a great day!! I am going to mow the grass and then she wants me to spend some time with our boat. Gotta love this bride of mine! ❤️

Safe boating,

Joe
Hey piperjoe, I read your whole thread as I’m rebuilding the same boat. I’ve learned a lot from your questions (we’re in the same boat, so to speak, on how to do this) and am glad I found this thread. I’m new to this community and joined because of your journey, basically. I hope all goes well with the admiral and you can find the time and gumption to finish the project.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hi gang! Hope all of you are enjoying the Summer and getting out on the water with your boat.

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. There are some good folks here that can help you with advice and friendly banter. I am glad to learn that you have gleaned helpful information from this thread and trust the forum will prove useful as you continue working on your boat.

Nothing new by way of restoration work on my boat. I have the time and “gumption”, however, watching over Joyce is the first priority. Perhaps later if I don’t sell it first.

Safe boating,
Joe

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hi gang! Hope all of you are enjoying the Summer and getting out on the water with your boat.

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. There are some good folks here that can help you with advice and friendly banter. I am glad to learn that you have gleaned helpful information from this thread and trust the forum will prove useful as you continue working on your boat.

Nothing new by way of restoration work on my boat. I have the time and “gumption”, however, watching over Joyce is the first priority. Perhaps later if I don’t sell it first.

Safe boating,
Joe
Hang in there! I know from a first hand basis how life has other plans for us, being us personally or our loved ones. I’m sorry to hear that your wife has dementia. My wife works in dementia care and depending on the individuals stage, I understand that it can be exhausting being a caregiver. Hopefully you can keep picking away at it and splash it while there’s still time for you to enjoy many outings together still. Have you got any friends or family that could help you on the boat project?

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
First off, I want to thank each of you for caring and showing you care via the “Like” placed on various posts within this thread. I am blessed with the friendship expressed by each of you.

Hi Shoestring Mariner! I appreciate your thoughts and comments. The Admiral and I have experienced three very good days in a row now and it sure is nice to see her smiling and enjoying the patio and sunshine. The Doctor told us, after a very thorough eye exam, that Joyce will not require eyeglasses. Wonderful news indeed!

The boat is still here and if all goes well tomorrow, the Admiral and I will pull the tarp and get some restoration work done on the new deck plywood. I really want to splash this boat with Joyce riding along while we can. No one around wanting to do much more than stand by the boat and watch me do the work. Probably better this way in the long run. Memories of times the two of us spent getting the boat restored and splashed could prove priceless in the future.

Safe boating,
Joe

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
First off, I want to thank each of you for caring and showing you care via the “Like” placed on various posts within this thread. I am blessed with the friendship expressed by each of you.

Hi Shoestring Mariner! I appreciate your thoughts and comments. The Admiral and I have experienced three very good days in a row now and it sure is nice to see her smiling and enjoying the patio and sunshine. The Doctor told us, after a very thorough eye exam, that Joyce will not require eyeglasses. Wonderful news indeed!

The boat is still here and if all goes well tomorrow, the Admiral and I will pull the tarp and get some restoration work done on the new deck plywood. I really want to splash this boat with Joyce riding along while we can. No one around wanting to do much more than stand by the boat and watch me do the work. Probably better this way in the long run. Memories of times the two of us spent getting the boat restored and splashed could prove priceless in the future.

Safe boating,
Joe
Sounds like you have a positive approach and i wish your journey together to have many great times yet. And any value on focusing on getting it functional, leaving any special mods, additions or upgrades for rainy days? This way you’re getting out and enjoying the water together sooner.

That’s my aim for my (repeatedly stalled) project. Im trying to splash it for a camping trip before thanksgiving if I can. The final finishes can come over the winter or spring.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Shoestring Mariner,
Once again your thoughts are appreciated, my friend. I have indeed given thought to “an unofficial splash” prior to completing the boat restoration. Have often joked with the Admiral about throwing a couple of lawn chairs and a well stocked picnic basket into the boat, strapping on the old Johnson 5.5, along with the fishing poles, and put in on Cedar Lake which is at the end of our street. A couple of oars for the Admiral…just in case…might be a nice idea, too. 😉

Safe boating,
Joe

SlipperyOar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been following along with your thread for as long as I've known about iboats, finally made an account to start logging the journey of my own restoration. You and the admiral have done a phenomenal job thus far and it's been extremely helpful for myself to plan out how I will attack my old tinner. Wishing you and the Admiral health and happiness, sending you nothing but positive vibes!

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
The Admiral and I hope all of you can enjoy a safe and happy Labor Day holiday weekend. Stay safe, my friends, enjoy your family and have fun with your boat.

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you, Jimmy Starcraft, for your kind words. I hope you enjoy your new adventure of restoring your boat!

Safe boating,
Joe