1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

Another thing I have been thinking about, instead of using a product like sharkhide maybe I could just paint the boat an aluminium color like i have seen some of the newer tin boats...

All the silvery paint I've seen and/or tried, looked pretty horrible. It's fine for small pieces like cleats or vents but for larger areas it tends to look pretty bad.

Gibbles

Commander

All the silvery paint I've seen and/or tried, looked pretty horrible. It's fine for small pieces like cleats or vents but for larger areas it tends to look pretty bad.

I think it was Lund boats that used alot of silver/grey paint.

Chrome paint is another story, that stuff is bad.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Chrome paint is another story, that stuff is bad.

The 2 part sprayed 'Chrome' that is mixed AFTER you spray it, & rinses w water almost immediately. Holy cow, that stuff is incredible. Crazy to watch them spray it, kind of looks like a drunken chicken dance run amok!:D

Glad you were able to get the bolts off. If the round head is still fairly solid, I've seen people grind a slot across the top of 1, and use a really large flathead screwdriver on them, if they aren't too seized into the nut. And some that made the slot wide enough to use a 3/16" pc of steel stock & a large pair of vice grips to make a heavy duty 'screwdriver'... May not be a good idea on metal that is in really rough shape or fatigued...

barato2

Commander

you guys make a good point on the splashwell....maybe i should shorten mine so the border Patrol won't be wondering if i have 5 undocumented folks under there....

Gib, i use a cutting wheel on the dremel for stuff like that which requires precision cutting. the wheels are horrid expensive but i can get much better control than with a die grinder.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

you guys make a good point on the splashwell....maybe i should shorten mine so the border Patrol won't be wondering if i have 5 undocumented folks under there.....

I thought your boat looked odd the other day! Now I gotcha! :D :D

64osby

Admiral

you guys make a good point on the splashwell....maybe i should shorten mine so the border Patrol won't be wondering if i have 5 undocumented folks under there....

They used to pay 100 a head plus expenses, if you delivered during picking season. You could also drag home a Michigan Starcraft.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Paint with hardener has ISOCYANATES it it. Very bad for you and can cause major health issues, permanent breathing problems. In order to use this type of paint you need a fresh air supply full, hood. A mask won't filter out iso's. I've done a lot of reading on this because I want to use a hardener in my paint for the two boats I need to paint. Iso's enters any membranes exposed to it, eyes or even exposed skin.

Spray painting forum:
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php

Rustoleum (No Hardener):
Oil based series, from what can deduce is an Alkyd Enamel. It's fairly tough stuff. The professional series is a little harder I think. Alkyd Enamels without hardener get to about 80% hardness of the enamel + hardener.
Here's a good website:
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm
http://rolledon.forummotion.com

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

Don is 100% right on this. we painted my Westy in my garage 12 yrs ago with polyisocyanate paint using just masks, and look what it did to me.....

(didn't know any better at the time. but the stuff is hell on your liver)

Gibbles

Commander

TY for the info

and here are the pictures I tried to post on friday... :D

Crack in splashwell
DSCF0202.jpg

Splashwell pictures - other
DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

I had to remove the rub rail, and a shot of the tilt pump
DSCF0198.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

InMotion

Commander

Hey gibbles,

Glad to see u were able to get the splash well removed. It is a bit of a pita... It helps to have long arms and to remove it outside on a sunny day!!!! Much easier to see all the screws and bolts. Next... Motor removal ---- are you able to remove it now that the splashwell is out? I haven't forgotten able pics and dimensions of the side panels!

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks!

and yes the engine is off of the boat now :D

I have not looked at the boat since though, when I have time I will yank the trim pump and start working the transom out.

And I went down to cabelas trying to figure out where the heck my seats are, apparently they forgot to place the order...

so they are being very nice, and paying for shipping to my home :)

this was for a clearance deal early jan, $25 a seat for their older model fisherman series :D

Gibbles

Commander

Well I got the transom cap off, the little nails came out with not much effort, I did destroy a cheap knife picking them out enough to get a pair of pliers on them.

And every bolt out of the transom, there were a few that would not give, so I ended up using the sawsall where I could.
My air compressor is to small to run the grinder for long enough bursts to make it useful
But I have a 25gal I'm trading for my 8gal here soon...

The transom is wet and swolen, and is not going anywhere yet.
Right now its tarped over until it has time to dry out a bit. :(

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You're still moving forward, Gib. That's good.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I know what you mean about the swollen transom. I worked for days trying to get mine out in one piece so I could have a template. Finally after sitting covered over the winter it dried out enough that I could pop it out in about 10 minutes. Hope you don't have to wait so long to get yours out. That's once when the long winter delay worked in my favor!

InMotion

Commander

Well I got the transom cap off, the little nails came out with not much effort, I did destroy a cheap knife picking them out enough to get a pair of pliers on them.

And every bolt out of the transom, there were a few that would not give, so I ended up using the sawsall where I could.
My air compressor is to small to run the grinder for long enough bursts to make it useful
But I have a 25gal I'm trading for my 8gal here soon...

The transom is wet and swolen, and is not going anywhere yet.
Right now its tarped over until it has time to dry out a bit. :(

Hey gibb's - glad to see you are moving forward! The transom dries using glacial time.... mine was soaking wet as well. What I did was use a flat pry bar and very gently right at the bottom of the transom where the there is a lip of metal pried it outwards to break the seal between the metal and the wood.... sorta worked my way along if ya know what I mean. I also gently pried the transom wood towards the bow away from the metal of the boat to break the wood free of the metal transom. Then I screwed in two pieces of scrap 2x6's and using a sledge -- not a hammer not enough weight to it --- hit each 2x6 a few times with some force and the transom worked its way up. Used this method and it worked well. Hope it helps you!!!

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks

On my Jet I tarped it over for a few days, and then took a prybar and some wrenches for support and was able to pry the transom out from the bottom up.

On this there is a metal channel holding the transom bottom in, I have not figured out where to pry from yet...

I screwed a scrap board to the back of the transom and I got it to move a little on the port side, but that's it.

Looks like its holding tight on both sides due to the swelling.

A last resort idea is to carefully use the sawsall and remove material from the back of the transom.
I got pretty good and precise with a sawsall using a long blade at a job years ago, but it will still be tight and very easy to mess up...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Prying up on the transom from the inside with a 2x4 seems to work pretty good.

InMotion

Commander

Thanks

On my Jet I tarped it over for a few days, and then took a prybar and some wrenches for support and was able to pry the transom out from the bottom up.

On this there is a metal channel holding the transom bottom in, I have not figured out where to pry from yet...

I screwed a scrap board to the back of the transom and I got it to move a little on the port side, but that's it.

Looks like its holding tight on both sides due to the swelling.

A last resort idea is to carefully use the sawsall and remove material from the back of the transom.
I got pretty good and precise with a sawsall using a long blade at a job years ago, but it will still be tight and very easy to mess up...

One thing did you remember to take out the drain plugs that go through the transom wood and metal? Don't recall you saying you did. Use a sledge not a hammer... hammer won't do it likely in your case. Transom removals are pita's :)

Gibbles

Commander

One thing did you remember to take out the drain plugs that go through the transom wood and metal? Don't recall you saying you did. Use a sledge not a hammer... hammer won't do it likely in your case. Transom removals are pita's :)

Yes lol,

I find the easy way is to use a flat head screw driver and a hammer, and just bend the outter lip into the center of the plug hole, then using the hammer and screw driver bend the lip in till it clears.

When done it looks like a wadded up gum or crap in the transom :D