1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

Thanks, I'll have to do some looking around and see if I can figure it out, gets me closer though :)

How thick of wood should I use for the floor?

Gibbles

Commander

Now the next question, rivets to hold the floor down...

The longest ones I can score locally will be to short for 3/4in and a tight fit with 5/8th

suggestions?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fastenal (Prime Fasteners in my neck of the wood).

jbcurt00

Staff member

I see you are working with 2 stringers in there - 5/8 would be great for that setup:) (3/4 if you want beefy)
Yep, that's the ticket... The stringers look to have only the original rivet holes in 'em, so it's a 1st re-deck.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I'll have to do some looking around and see if I can figure it out, gets me closer though :)

How thick of wood should I use for the floor?

If it stops raining I'll try to get a couple of pics of mine for ya, Gib I don't have a Nova, but most of the SC tinnies are built with a lot of similarities. I'm with Jason on the 5/8 or 3/4 inch.

Gibbles

Commander

If it stops raining I'll try to get a couple of pics of mine for ya, Gib I don't have a Nova, but most of the SC tinnies are built with a lot of similarities. I'm with Jason on the 5/8 or 3/4 inch.

Thank you!
I very much appreciate it :)

Gibbles

Commander

I'll head down and talk to fastnal about some rivets here soon. http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex
Posting link here for later ;)

I'm leaning towards 3/4 mainly because I have other uses for the scrap left behind, but I'll review prices, if not much different then I'll go with 3/4in.

GA_Boater

I'll head down and talk to fastnal about some rivets here soon. http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex
Posting link here for later ;)

I'm leaning towards 3/4 mainly because I have other uses for the scrap left behind, but I'll review prices, if not much different then I'll go with 3/4in.

Gib - My local Home Depot has 21/32 in. plywood with exterior glue. It says made in Chile, the same country as Arauco plywood. 21/32 is right between 3/4 and 5/8. It's sanded on both sides and looks nice. Last time I looked it was $26 a sheet. It;s worth checking at you HD.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Gib the 2 channel like pieces go from the deck up to the front edge of the splash well, you can see them in this photo, they are screwed to the floor and riveted to the splash well and side shelf.

DSCN0038.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Gib - My local Home Depot has 21/32 in. plywood with exterior glue. It says made in Chile, the same country as Arauco plywood. 21/32 is right between 3/4 and 5/8. It's sanded on both sides and looks nice. Last time I looked it was $26 a sheet. It;s worth checking at you HD.

Thanks!

I recall looking at the stuff, stood out because of the oddball measurement.

Gibbles

Commander

Hey Gib the 2 channel like pieces go from the deck up to the front edge of the splash well, you can see them in this photo, they are screwed to the floor and riveted to the splash well and side shelf.

Thanks for that, makes more sense now.

Also skimming through a Jupiter rebuild, I can make out what looks like the foot rest.

Footrest.jpg

GA_Boater

Since it's still raining I can't get the pics that I don't need to get now because you and Dozer got the pics I don't need to take in the rain. Is that clear, Gib? LOL Got any other mystery pieces?

InMotion

Commander

Thanks for that, makes more sense now.

Also skimming through a Jupiter rebuild, I can make out what looks like the foot rest.

Footrest.jpg

Hey Gibbles,

Yup that is a foot rest in my Jupiter. If you would like, I can take a couple of extra pictures for you and post them in my thread or PM them to you.
The foot rest part is aluminum and it attaches to a trianglar wooden frame that the gas tank sits on. Really simple and slick design. Given that the foot rest part is aluminum, to vinyl or carpet it is dead easy as the carpet/vinyl only has to wrap at the top and bottom as the alum is thin --- so you don't need to wrap the ends.

Lemme know.. IM

Gibbles

Commander

Hey Gibbles,

Yup that is a foot rest in my Jupiter. If you would like, I can take a couple of extra pictures for you and post them in my thread or PM them to you.
The foot rest part is aluminum and it attaches to a trianglar wooden frame that the gas tank sits on. Really simple and slick design. Given that the foot rest part is aluminum, to vinyl or carpet it is dead easy as the carpet/vinyl only has to wrap at the top and bottom as the alum is thin --- so you don't need to wrap the ends.

Lemme know.. IM

Yes please!

You can post them in here if you want also :)

Thanks!

Gibbles

Commander

Since it's still raining I can't get the pics that I don't need to get now because you and Dozer got the pics I don't need to take in the rain. Is that clear, Gib? LOL Got any other mystery pieces?

None new yet, but I have not had much of a chance to go through the boat much.

And I understand about the weather.
It was snowing the day I bought it, Then rained the day I got it registered, turned to snow, so I jumped in a slick boat to clean out the leaves blocking the drain before it froze, and its been a mix of ice rain, and snow since... :p

InMotion

Commander

Ok. Kiddies are sound asleep... so got a chance to snap some shots. I hope you can make sense of what youare seeing...

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

front corner shot..

IMAG0094.jpg

piece that sat on top of the frame... taken from the perspective of the bow light... (the open part is what you saw sitting in the drivers seat and the pointy part (somewhat obviously!) in the bow.

IMAG0095.jpg

Hope this helps. If you are having trouble envisioning it still, lemme know and I can try to take better photos :)

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah, I think I will need to look at this with fresh eyes in the morning.

:)

Thanks!

InMotion

Commander

Just imagine you are in geometry class again...!:eek: