1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

RXDOC

Cadet

Hello forum members! I am obviously new to the forum. I have spent the last couple months searching through this forum and taking in all the fantastic information you have supplied here. I have taken on a restoration of the boat my parents used to take us skiing and fishing with when we were kids. It has spent the last 8 years parked in the back woods uncovered and open to the elements. I am excited to get it back on the water. Hopefully in better than new condition if all goes well.
I am hoping the pics post so you can see what I'm getting into. This is my "test run" post to make sure it all works. If it does then I will post many more pics that I have to chronicle up to the point I am at now. Then the real questions will start to surface as I begin to put the puzzle back together. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise and tell you how far along I am right now since it is only the first post.

I look forward to picking everyone's brain in the coming months. Please help me get her back on the water before spring!:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1973 Starcraft 16ft SS restore

Welcome to Tin Heaven, RXDOC. Too bad she sat neglected for 8 years. SSs make real nice projects and are the most popular model here.
We'll make room in the dry dock for ya. BTW - the pics came through fine. Have fun keeping a family treasure going.

RXDOC

Cadet

Thanks. I appreciate knowing that the pics came through. Hoping this summer I can take my dad fishing and teach him a thing or two this time.
Now to get busy updating with some more recent photos.

RXDOC

Cadet

Here is a couple pics to update you as to my current progress. The didn't post in the correct order, hopefully soon I catch on to the process here.

I will be moving on to the trailer soon so I have something to flip her back onto once the paint is done.

GA_Boater

That sounds like a challenge. LOL Since you're using Photobucket you can insert pics directly in your posts. I forget the detail but it's not too hard. Someone will come along with the how-to.

rrumba

Ensign

Hey RXDoc to put the photo in, hover on the pic in photobucket and click on the direct link box and it will copy the link for you. then click on the icon that looks like a frame when posting here and then paste the link into the box that says URL, uncheck the box below it and you are set..............

Welcome to the dry dock by the way.. Seems like you are making some great progress. I really love the sliding door under the splashwell and now i will probably add that to mine. ours looks alot like mine but i do not have the open bow and i am sporting the 140hp OB.

what did you use to clean the outside of the hull and the inside cuz it sure is shiny and pretty inside.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats and great looking project. Looks like you are well on your way on getting it back into shape.

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the Starmada, he hull looks to be in great shape and it looks like you are doing a tin up rebuild. On photo bucket copy the img code, that is the one to put the photo in your thread.
Glen

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Hello RXDOC...looks like you have the right prescription for some serious boating fun...

My boat is glass but I enjoy seeing a good tinny being worked on...good luck with your restore!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great boat and you're off to a real nice start. If that was mine and I had it all nicely stripped, I would definitely be leaving the bottom bare. So much easier to maintain in the future. Does the Evinrude run?

GA_Boater

RX - Missed your second set of pics last night. You're making real progress. How long have you been working on her?

RXDOC

Cadet

rrumba The sliding doors are definitely staying in my restore. I like them also and all the hardware and tracks are in good shape just need to be cleaned up. I sure like the idea of that 18ft that you have. It appears we are at about the same stage. Mine is currently taking up its post in the garage upside down waiting for this weekend for hopefully one final coat of paint. I like the color you chose for yours.

As for the cleaning of mine it all started with a good pressure washing. I stripped the paint with Aircraft Remover. Had never used that before and I think it would take just about anything off, Wow. Then I used an abrasive pad to finish up the stripping and scuff up the surface in preparation for primer. As for the glue they use to hold on the vinyl in the gunwale side pockets I used a stainless steel wire wheel on my corded drill. I am hoping that the stainless steel was ok to use against the aluminum. I believe I was told once that was ok and I know much of the screws are stainless steel so I figured it had to work.

RXDOC

Cadet

Great boat and you're off to a real nice start. If that was mine and I had it all nicely stripped, I would definitely be leaving the bottom bare. So much easier to maintain in the future. Does the Evinrude run?

Yeah in the pic it looks all nice and shiny but in real life it wasn't quite as clean as I would like so as much as I like the bare aluminum look also in the end decided I needed to cover it with some color. I hope to finish the last coat this weekend and once done I will post a pic of the paint scheme.

I know you are very active on this forum and have helped me greatly while I have been strolling thru the forum the last few months. I'm glad you pick up on my entry and Thanks for all your help up to this point!

As for the 'rude: yes it runs. Before I started into the project I had a local guy compression test it (can't remember the numbers, but he said it was in excellent shape). He went thru the fuel system and put in carb kits and got all that going. Once I knew the motor was worth the trouble I delved into the boat itself. I know my Dad was religious about winterizing it well and cared for the motor well. When it was last running several years ago it had a bad habit of fouling the plugs alot but I have since found out apparently that year motor did that a lot and I just need to bypass a choke wire somewhere i believe. I plan on looking into that a little more.
I also plan on having my motor guy put in a new impeller before we really use it much.

RXDOC

Cadet

RX - Missed your second set of pics last night. You're making real progress. How long have you been working on her?

Well I drug it out of the trees at my parents place sometime in September. I didn't really start working on it til October and then hunting season came along and the boat sat idle for a while. My wife says I'm obsessed with it since then but I am not really the speediest guy when it comes to getting anything done on the boat. I like to take my time and do it the right way the first time, even if it is the hard way. Not to mention sometimes I'm just out in the garage staring at it imagining it floating already and brainstorming how I am gonna put it back together.

I just realized these replies are turning into novels and you guys are probably looking for quick and easy to read responses. I will keep them short in the future. Just excited for the responses and welcoming attitude. I appreciate it guys!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great news on the 'Rude. I personally feel those JohnnyRude triples are the ideal motor for a 16' SC. I had a '73 Johnson 85 on mine and it was a bit stern-heavy. It was great though that even though it was a '73, I could still get most every part for it. I think that motor will serve you quite well.

RXDOC

Cadet

Finally time to post a little update as to my progress. I have just one more coat of paint to go on the hull exterior and it's done. Withholding pics of that til its dry and all the tape has been removed. Then I will show the color scheme and you can let me know what you think. Any way the only update really is that I am working on the trailer now. Got it stripped of parts, sandblasted it and primed and painting now. One more coat of gloss black to go and then time to put it all back together. Got the axle bearings and seals replaced and finally found some new bushings for the old leaf springs. Took a while but was finally able to find replacements for all the rollers also. The progress is slow but there is still several feet of ice on top of all the lakes here so I have a little time yet.

250.jpg

before image of the trailer

309.jpg

after image of the trailer. It may look very similar to the before pic but in between there was a lot of sandblasting, prepping and priming that took place. Hopefully the paint holds up for a long time.

GA_Boater

after image of the trailer. It may look very similar to the before pic but in between there was a lot of sandblasting, prepping and priming that took place. Hopefully the paint holds up for a long time.

No way it looks the same now, Doc. It's clean and shiny. ;) You about got the trailer out of the way and that's always a big milestone.

rrumba

Ensign

nice work there Doc, i wis mine was as clean as that one or that i had the patience to sand blast it.

GA_Boater

Hey Doc - The boat paint looks good. Just saw a bit of it in the bottom pic.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Trailer looks great. I did a trailer once so I know how tedious it is.