1973 Glastron V-156 Sportster Floor/Stringer Restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The one REAL GOOD thing about your install using PL is the LONG time you waited before tabbing and glassing. It for SURE had ample time to cure and stop outgassing so you don't have to worry about any of that happening so you should have as good of a bond as possible. I'm sure as I said before, proper care and maintenance will ensure a very long life for her!!!;)

Just realized you haven't PINNED yourself on the Members Map.
If you'd like to do so, here's the link...Click Here To Enter Your Location on the iBoats Member Map

Last edited:

jmink

Seaman
The one REAL GOOD thing about your install using PL is the LONG time you waited before tabbing and glassing. It for SURE had ample time to cure and stop outgassing so you don't have to worry about any of that happening so you should have as good of a bond as possible. I'm sure as I said before, proper care and maintenance will ensure a very long life for her!!!;)

Just realized you haven't PINNED yourself on the Members Map.
If you'd like to do so, here's the link...Click Here To Enter Your Location on the iBoats Member Map

Glad to hear it Woodonglass, I sure want it to be a long time before I even have think about redoing any of this work that I've had to do. BTW I am on the map now.

Also, you'll be glad to know that I got my new stringers bedded today with PB and I just finished removing the last of the old stringers. If you remember I had left the center "dagger" stringer this whole time so that I could keep some support inside the hull. Now that I have these 4 new stringers bedded I knew it was time to remove the last of the old stringers. Now I can add all of my bulkheads and deck supports so I can glass everything (this includes the stringers) in at the same time. So a lot of progress has been made this weekend I will get a new video out to show all of this that I have just talked about.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOW!!! You're CRANKIN''' Now!!!! Good on Ya!! Look forward to the Video. You're doin a GREAT job on the Vids and years from now they'll be a great aid to the NEWB's that come along. Members will be able to point them to your vids and say, "Watch and Learn". Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I KNOW how much time and effort goes into to doing this. You could get more done on your boat and doing other stuff if you didn't spend the time editing and uploading all this "Tekky" stuff. Thanks Again!!!! This Old Dumb Okie REALLY appreciates it!!!:rockon:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Sounds like some amazing progress...
I am anxiously awaiting the Vid...
I wholeheartedly agree with Woody...
WOW!!! You're CRANKIN''' Now!!!! Good on Ya!! Look forward to the Video. You're doin a GREAT job on the Vids and years from now they'll be a great aid to the NEWB's that come along. Members will be able to point them to your vids and say, "Watch and Learn". Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I KNOW how much time and effort goes into to doing this. You could get more done on your boat and doing other stuff if you didn't spend the time editing and uploading all this "Tekky" stuff. Thanks Again!!!! This Old Dumb Okie REALLY appreciates it!!!:rockon:
...;)...
Great work so far...:D

jmink

Seaman

Thank you! I really enjoy the whole process and I can't imagine doing this any other way. I really hope these videos are helpful to others, that's always been my goal! I'll have another video out soon to show where I have progressed to.

I do have a question though. The center dagger stringer is shorter in height than the other stringers. Does this need to be done the same way when I put the new one in? Wondered why it was shorter, is this for flexing under the deck?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It was prolly designed to have the deck drain towards the center and then flow to the back towards the bilge. That would be my guess.;)

jmink

Seaman
It was prolly designed to have the deck drain towards the center and then flow to the back towards the bilge. That would be my guess.;)

So do you think I would mess anything up if I decided to make it taller to be on the same level as the others?

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
So do you think I would mess anything up if I decided to make it taller to be on the same level as the others?

I agree with Woody and Nope, you don't have to design it that way unless it is required for putting the boat back to 100% originality...
As long as you provide good water flow to the bilge, say in the event of rain or a wave coming in over the side, you can build the deck level...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, I agree with GT. I WOULD check to make sure she's sloping back towards the bilge and if she is you could make her level with no issues IMHO!!

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you do make it level, keep in mind the original seat bases will need to be cut to match the new (flat) contour of the deck. I found this out the hard way.

Last edited:

jmink

Seaman
If you do make it level, keep in mind the original seat bases will need to be cut to match the new (flat) contour of the deck. I found this out the hard way.

Yeah I have been trying to wrap my head around some of the details. With this not having the original deck and being rotted when I removed it, that left me wanting more information.

srodenberg

Recruit
Mink I have the same exact boat. I have fallen in love with your project and I am using your very helpful videos throughout my project. I was wondering where you purchased the wood for your transom and stringer and what type you used. I also plan to foam the underside of the deck.I am looking forward to your next video!!!!! WONDERFUL job so far!!!! I restore pick-ups this is my first boat and you have been a major help so far! Thank you for what you are doing!!!
-Scott

jmink

Seaman
Mink I have the same exact boat. I have fallen in love with your project and I am using your very helpful videos throughout my project. I was wondering where you purchased the wood for your transom and stringer and what type you used. I also plan to foam the underside of the deck.I am looking forward to your next video!!!!! WONDERFUL job so far!!!! I restore pick-ups this is my first boat and you have been a major help so far! Thank you for what you are doing!!!
-Scott

Thanks Scott! Man I love hearing feedback like yours. I've said it before and I'll say it again that my goal with the videos and documenting of my project is to help someone else when they need it.

To answer your questions I used pine for my stringers and transom and specifically on the transom I used A/C pine at 3/4" thick. Then as I showed in my videos I doubled up to make my 1 1/2" thick transom. I believe like a few others do which is that as long as you encapsulate the wood and keep it water free it will last a long long time.

As far as the foam under the deck, I am still trying to plan how I am going to accomplish this. I have had several ideas on it and I still haven't made up my mind on which is the best. But, I will make my decision soon.

Congratulations on your first boat project! Do you have any pictures and such of your boat online?

Thanks for following along!
-Josh

jmink

Seaman

I have a question for you Auger. Did you use foam under your deck?

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
No, I didnt use foam under the deck. There were a few small foam blocks under there from the factory which I didnt replace.

jmink

Seaman
Project Update

Well I finally got the stringers cut and bedded into the hull. There were several steps to getting this done, but I got through them all. Here's my video update below:

Last edited: