1973 115 Evinrude sneezing

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 115 Evinrude sneezing

I just want to get it running without tieing to much money up in it, so I can sell it. My girl friends step dad is giving (for some work I did for him) me a 1988 40h.p. Johnson he rebuilt last year, he is in the process of putting a new clutch dog in it for me.

walleyehed

Admiral

moderator 1, <br />I looked in the manual about link and sync and it says to run at idle until motor warms up. This motor will not even try to idle, if I try to idle it sneezes through the exhaust and dies.<br />
Yes, it does say to warm it up, BUT....you must have it adjusted static (In the ball-park) before you run it to deside what adjustments need to be made.<br />It needs to be set up just as if you just put a new powerhead on....follow the manual to set the initial adjustments and go from there.<br />Also, after reading Dhadley's advice on ignition, I believe I would try what he has recommended and see what happens.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the plug wires and had my cousin turn the motor over, and its jumping a good 7/16 gap with a bluish/white spark. I tried this before I pulled the reeds just to make sure I had spark that would jump 7/16" gap. I appologize for not posting this info, I'm still learning. Is there any other ignition problem that may cause this.<br />Thank you,<br />hoss123

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Did you pull the leads one at a time while the motor was running?<br /><br />Its not so much of a question if the motor has spark but when it has spark.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes sir,<br />Pulled them one at a time while motor was running (at higher rpm's than idle) and it acted worst as I pulled each one them off. After I reconnected them it would smooth on out. Is there any other ignition component that I could check to see if it may be anything else. I've got the carb kits on the way and I'm currently looking at some reeds, but any other information you can give me would be appreciated.<br />Thank You,<br />hoss

phatmanmike

Captain

heres a wrench in your gears.....<br /><br />i had similar probs on my 225 v6, turns out the flywheel magnets are all messed up and had to be removed, cleaned and re-epoxied to the flywheel. it was sending mixed signals to the ignition and all the timing for all teh cylinders was all messed up. <br /><br />do a search here in the evinrude forums about flywheel magnets, and read some of the posts. youll see.... <br /><br />peace

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank You I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.<br />hoss

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets not get confused here. Hoss, your crossflow does not have the same glued in outer magnets that a looper does. Yours are cast in.<br /><br />Lets get an exact defination of what is happening with the exhaust. You say it backfires out the exhaust and when it does the motor stalls, right?

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No Sir,<br />It is a sneezing sound coming out of the exhaust with a puff of blue smoke and as soon as it sneezes it dies. It doesn't stall at all,and it runs fine at higher rpm's.<br />Thank You,<br />hoss

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What kind of top rpm can you get?<br /><br />Did this start all at once or was other work -- of any kind -- done just before it started?

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can open it up all the way. It will stay running fine around 1500 rpm's, but when I try to come back to idle it sneezes and dies. I bought the boat about four weeks ago, and the guy I bought it from couldn't get it running. Come to find out he had the ignition switch hooked up wrong. I got that straightened out and it runs now at higher rpm's. Just won't idle, because out the hard sneeze. It doesn't miss, spit, sputter or any thing as long as I've got it opened up a little bit.<br />Thank You,<br />hoss123

walleyehed

Admiral

I don't want to confuse you hoss123, as I want you to listen to Dhadley, but what you are discribing to me sounds as though the carb plates are open a bit, and the timing may be slightly behind that. The timing arm must begin to move just slightly before the throttle plates begin to open. Can you verify the carbs are completely closed in neutral and the throttle cam roller is NOT touching the timing advance cam??

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No sir,<br />I can't verify that right now because I've got the carbs and the reeds off the boat. Carb kits are ordered and waiting on guy to call me about the reeds. As soon as I get these items and get them put on I will get back in touch with you and let you know about the throttle cam roller. And do you happen to know if they still sell stainless reeds for my 1973 115 Evinrude. I know where I can get some used reeds, I looked on the web site that fishcakes gave me but I couldn't seem to find any for my motor.<br />Many Thanks to you all,<br />hoss123

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And what rpm would that be? <br /><br /><br />That is as far down as my control box will allow me to give it gas. Not 100% sure what any of the rpm's are, Tach is broken. The machanic I had listen to it said "there is no way to know what rpm a motor is running by listening to it, but if I had to guess I would say it runs fine at any thing above 1200 to 1500 rpm's."<br />Thank You,<br />hoss

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reeds and carb kits will hopfully be in this weekend. Got the reeds(stainless) for $5 apiece. As soon as I get them put on I will get back with everyone and let ya'll know how it went.<br />Thanks everyone for your advise,<br />hoss123

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Remember to sand block the reed blocks. You want them as straight as possible.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Basscat,<br />I'm not to sure how to go about doing this, it sounds pretty self expanitory. Do I just sand the reed blocks down until the are staight across the surface.<br />Thanks,<br />hoss

walleyehed

Admiral

"LAP" the blocks using 320 wet or dry type paper with water or solvent for lube...<br />Do this on a piece of glass or a surface you know is very level/straight. put water "Under" the paper to keep it from moving and figure-8 the piece you are lapping.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks walleyehed,<br />As soon as the reeds get here I will do this and get back with everyone and let you know if my problem is fixed. Carb kits are also on the way.<br />Basscat 1 already explained to me how to do the reed blocks, just figured that out by re-reading this forum, just getting a little antsy. <br />I appreciate the info and will be getting back in touch.<br />Many Thanks,<br />hoss123